crit chance

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Sawy

10-08-2010

I've had 100% crit chanse with Janna, Gangplank and i'm pretty sure every single Ashe player have had 100% crit chanse ...

Ofc you can have 100% crit chanse..Had 4x phantom dancer eded up with 2.5 attack speed with 100% crit chanse..Oh joy.

Jon Irenicus

10-08-2010

Lets say somebody actually goes for 100% crit. So after 40-50mins of farming and gearing up you get it and what... since you only get crit you gonna grit for 200 cuz you have no damage gear... sounds pretty useless to me.

Hjorth

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-08-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Irenicus View Post
Lets say somebody actually goes for 100% crit. So after 40-50mins of farming and gearing up you get it and what... since you only get crit you gonna grit for 200 cuz you have no damage gear... sounds pretty useless to me.
exactly, and therefore 100% crit isnt neccesarily as powerfull as 100% dodge.

if you were facing a team without spell casters and you could get 100% dodge their only possible way to kill you would by through the active on Sword of the divine... thats 5 seconds...
you cant kill a tank in 5 seconds on your own

Cyanr

10-08-2010

How is dodge calculated?

I stack runes to get about 7% dodge, then in game I buy Ninja Tabi.. how does it work?

Will it be 7 x 1.12? .. 12 x 1.07?
7+12?

Al the Dead

10-08-2010

1 - go in game,
2 - open char stats,
3 - buy boots,
4 - see change.
5 - ?????
6 - PROFIT!!!!!

Im too lazy to output the formulae but its not flat addition thats for sure.

Draco Denesti

10-08-2010

I would imagine the rune based dodge is added, but would probably be uneffected by subsequent purchases of dodge items. So like the earlier example, 50% dodge + 50% dodge = 75% dodge, say you had the 7% dodge from runes, you'd start with 57%, and after another 50%, it'd just be 82%.

Though I say that, I can't really confirm whether it works that way or not. Dodge isn't a direction I go with any of my items or runes.

Puschel the Soft

10-08-2010

The dodge formula goes like this
d1, d2....dn are the dodge chance items/runes/masteries u got.
ur dodge chance = 1 - (1-d1)*(1-d2)*....*(1-dn)
or to make it easier: h1, h2...hn are the chances you get hit depending on that one item (so 80% with phantom dance, 89% with ninja tabi, 98% with defense skill points etc.)
your chance to get hit = h1*h2*...*hn

Soulblighter VII

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-08-2010

[this is your only warning: wall of text ahead: with icky math and theorycrafting]

Critical Strike Chance is calculated additively because: it only works for physical damage (only a few champion abilities can have Critical Strikes). When you invest in a 100% Critical Strike Chance, even with champions proficient Critical Strikes, you will be lacking in all other attributes. These items are not cheap, as even stacking Avarice Blades will take its toll on your gold pouch.

When doing `the math`, as a basic rule you just use the basic cheapest items for each attribute: Long Sword, Brawler`s Gloves and Dagger.

Let`s say that at level 18 your basic attack will be exactly 100. That means that with 100% Critical Strike Chance will be dealing 200 Physical Damage. However, it is very easy for every non-tank enemy to have 100 armor at that level. 100 Armor means your Physical Damage is halved. Because you started off at 0% Critical Strike Chance (I am not taking masteries and runes into account so that the mathematics will be easier), you spent a LOT of Gold to get that maximum Chance. Having each auto attack be a Critical Strike sounds good in theory but you need to check out other offensive items too. You will need Attack Damage and Armor Penetration/Reduction (Defense Penetration cannot be found on any basic item however), as well as increased Attack Speed.

100% Critical Strike Chance = Brawler Gloves (8% CSC) x12.5 = 400 x 12.5 = 5000 Gold
100 Attack Damage = Long Sword(10 AD) x10 = 415 x10 = 4510 Gold
100% Increased Attack Speed = Dagger (15% IAS) x6.66 = 420 x6.66 = 2800 Gold

Cost-wise, it is obvious that the fastest way to double your damage is by just increasing your Attack Speed. In order to keep values lower than OVER 9000!!! they added two measures to this: the Attack Speed has a cap of 2.5 auto-attacks per second and Dodge (more on dodge later, now I want to talk about sieging and pushing a bit).

Critical Strikes will also do nothing against turrets, inhibitors and turrets so if you are playing a pusher, try to boost raw Attack Damage and increased Attack Speed. As of now, some people say Flat Armor Penetration will work on turrets (runes and masteries included). % Armor Penetration(Last Whisper ) and Armor Reduction(Stark`s Fervor, the Black Cleaver debuffs etc.) will not affect turrets. Future plans will also make sure that Flat Armor Penetration also does not affect turrets.

Now, I want to take the time and try to talk about Dodge (with an intro about Armor). In World of WarCraft, the attack mechanics ensured that Critical Strikes would always land, no matter how much % Evasion (Dodge, Parry or Block). AFAIK, this is not the case in League of Legends: you are able to dodge critical strikes here.
While Armor mitigates physical damage by a %, a dodge will ensure you completely evade that damage, no matter the value.
While armor penetration/reduction requires full items to be built, 100 extra armor is easy and cheap to get (1666 Gold) and this makes mitigating auto-attacks easy especially since all champions receive armor on level up. However, the more armor you gain, the less effective it gets.
100 armor = 50% Physical Damage Reduction
200 armor = 66% Physical Damage Reduction
300 armor = 75% Physical Damage Reduction
especially if the oponents are using Last Whisper (or one of your opponents is Kog`Maw... and he has Last Whisper - % Armor Penetration stacks additively). However, if you invested in 100% Critical Strike Chance (5000 Gold) and the enemy chose to counter you by just stacking Armor, they got to over 75% damage reduction (they have 300 Armor + their level 18 base Armor; I`m not even going to mention more enemies each having an Aegis of the Legion since this item stacks twice because that would be too painful... but in a good team, it can happen).

However when you max your auto-attack potential by getting as much attack speed as you can, enemies that try to counter you with Armor can barely keep up. This is why we need Dodge. Just like people who focus on increasing their Critical Strike Chance, fast hitters will not actually have a high auto-Attack Damage value.

Let`s consider that ChampionA has 2.5 IAS and 100 AD (a rounded out level 18 attribute).
ChampionB has 300 Armor.
ChampionC has 30% dodge and 100 armor (75 armor is a rounded out level 18 attribute; Ninja Tabi gives you 25 armor and 12% Dodge, a Phantom Dancer will get you to 30% if you do not have any runes, masteries or skills; for the cost math, do not take in consideration the cost of IAS, CRC and MS that Phantom Dancer grants).

vs ChampionB: Over 10 seconds, ChampionA will attack 25 times for a total of 2500 Physical Damage of which 75% gets mitigated. ChampionA will deal 62.5 damage per second.
vs. ChampionC: Over 10 seconds, ChampionA will attack 25 times of which 8 attacks will be Dodged, the remainder of 13 attacks dealing 1300 Damage of which 50% get mitigated. ChampionA will deal 65 damage per second.

So: why is dodge better? Because Dodge is unaffected by armor penetration/reduction and because once an auto-attack is dodged, all on hit effect that affect the target will not be applied.
A note of caution: Splash attacks cannot be dodged and neither can you dodge turret fire (you can but the chance is incredibly small, I think turret fire divides your dodge chance by 10 or something, even with 50% dodge you`ll be taking a lot of hits; lucky dodges do occur, be thankful for them; if you want to tank turrets you will need health and armor and lots of both - consider starting with a lot of health and then get an Atma`s Impaler so while you`re tanking the turret, your auto attacks will also hurt it)

TL;DR: Your loss, mate. This post got a whole lot bigger but I think it`s worth it.

VII

Sney

10-08-2010

Like the other posters said, it works additively (10%+10% = 20%)
Crit caps at 100%

BurntFaceMan

10-08-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sney View Post
Like the other posters said, it works additively (10%+10% = 20%)
Crit caps at 100%
Good job too, any more than 100% crit chance, and youd start critting without hitting. And let me tell you, that way madness lies.