Trying to find a melee champ for me

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Jaylin

30-05-2010

I've been playing for a few days now and am slowly getting the hang of the game. I do reasonably well with ranged champs and I can play a solid Ashe (but then again, who can't? ). However, my attempts to switch to some melee champs have failed miserably. It's not that I never win, I just don't feel like I'm contributing. Sure, I could just buy Ashe and a few other ranged champs, but I don't feel like playing ranged all the time.

I bought Master Yi after seeing one player work miracles with him in one game. And indeed, if I can level up, I'm a monster. However, he's so squishy that most of the time I end up feeding the other team, falling behind and then being useless for the rest of the match.

I then tried Kayle. Seemed like a decent blend of damage, tanking and support. However, I wound up feeling useless. My heals were tiny, my damage was weak and I wasn't all that durable. Also, I wasn't having much fun with the champ.

Now, I have my eye on Garen, since he seems fairly straightforward, simple and not too squishy. However, the ******* is over 3k IP, so it'll take me a while to accumulate that much (especially with the 1k I already wasted on Yi+Kayle).

The question is, is Garen a good choice as a starter melee? Also, which melee chars would you suggest for a new player? The main condition is that they aren't to squishy, since I'm not good enough at the game to compensate and I like a more relaxed playstyle. I also have my eye on Shen, since I've heard some good things about him, but he seems a bit more complicated to play...

Basically, I'm a bit apprehensive about spending my IP considering that the first two characters I bought didn't work out...

EDIT: I suppose this post can be disregarded at this point since I've decided to lay off the melee. Reason? I played a few games with Morgana and had more fun than in any 5 other games I played combined. It seems that I function better with casters. However, thanks to everyone who offered their help. Now I just have to start saving my IP for Ezra, Karthus or Morgana. ****, why are all the interesting chars so **** expensive...

koekii

30-05-2010

hi

im not playing too long either but what worked for me was,

Gangplank on crit / dps build (duh)
and jax on dps build (:
other then that i guess u should go with fight/melee tank

Nekrensha

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

30-05-2010

The free available champions change each monday, in case you did not know that.

It's better to test for oneself which champions are enjoyable to play.

Bibidiboo

30-05-2010

The only good melee champion is Jax, WW / Yi / Shaco are ok

RageSquid Party

30-05-2010

Finding a champion that suits you is really hard, and the fact that you have to spend large amounts of IP before you can even try the champion isn't really helping What helped me spend my first IP was to look up youtube videos of several champions, and just see how they are played. This is how I fell in love with my Ezreal <3
Riot Games has its own youtube channel, check it out here:
http://www.youtube.com/user/RiotGamesInc#p/u
Browse through the 'Champion Spotlight' videos they made of several champions, and see what the maker of the video (Phreak I think) has to say about them.

I can only recommend you to check out videos of champions, I have never played Garen myself so I can't comment on that part of your question. In general I only like melee champions if they have some form of what I like to call 'gtfo-ability', something to get you out of tight situations. (Think Tryndamere's Spinning Slash, Shaco's Deceive or Shen's Shadow Dash)

I hope this is of any use to you, good luck spending your hard earned IP ^^

-Kool

Jaylin

30-05-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kooledude View Post
Finding a champion that suits you is really hard, and the fact that you have to spend large amounts of IP before you can even try the champion isn't really helping What helped me spend my first IP was to look up youtube videos of several champions, and just see how they are played. This is how I fell in love with my Ezreal <3
Riot Games has its own youtube channel, check it out here:
http://www.youtube.com/user/RiotGamesInc#p/u
Browse through the 'Champion Spotlight' videos they made of several champions, and see what the maker of the video (Phreak I think) has to say about them.

I can only recommend you to check out videos of champions, I have never played Garen myself so I can't comment on that part of your question. In general I only like melee champions if they have some form of what I like to call 'gtfo-ability', something to get you out of tight situations. (Think Tryndamere's Spinning Slash, Shaco's Deceive or Shen's Shadow Dash)

I hope this is of any use to you, good luck spending your hard earned IP ^^

-Kool
Thanks for the link. It really helped. However, now I can't decide between Shen and Garen. Oh well, I have a few days to make up my mind while I gather the IP...

RageSquid Party

30-05-2010

Same situation for me now, I'm nearing 3k IP again and I have no idea what to spend it on... Can't make up my mind between Gangplank (because he's an awesome pirate, yarr) or Gragas (because I have never ever seen a Gragas in my whole LoL carreer. And his abilities seem like fun )

Jacei

31-05-2010

Hmm, its a tough decision. If your looking at it from a tier perspective (what people consider the better champions because of their usefulness) then Jax is up there.

However, Master Yi is a strong contender ofcourse but maybe Katarina might suit you well.

You said you have Yi already, you need to remember that, as a melee carry, your only as good as your team. Sure, you can 1v1 people, but in team combat, you need to either come from behind or make sure you arent going to be targetted first.

You shouldnt need hp items in the games you play, if you get the feeling you need it, its probably because your team arent doing their job and/or the team your against has outpicked you.

Jaylin

31-05-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightmoon View Post
Hmm, its a tough decision. If your looking at it from a tier perspective (what people consider the better champions because of their usefulness) then Jax is up there.

However, Master Yi is a strong contender ofcourse but maybe Katarina might suit you well.

You said you have Yi already, you need to remember that, as a melee carry, your only as good as your team. Sure, you can 1v1 people, but in team combat, you need to either come from behind or make sure you arent going to be targetted first.

You shouldnt need hp items in the games you play, if you get the feeling you need it, its probably because your team arent doing their job and/or the team your against has outpicked you.
See, the thing is, I play PuGs, not premades. And from what I've seen, it tends to go "every man for himself" more often than not. Yi is great if my team complies, lets me have the solo lane and all that. In fact, many champs are great if the team cooperates.

However, in my current situation, I'm looking for a champ that doesn't require that much from my team. Someone who isn't a Carry and who doesn't require awesome team coordination. If my team is good, then awesome. But if they are a bunch of mute autists, I'd like to still be of some use...

Scyza

31-05-2010

Katarina was already suggested, she's who I wanted to suggest as well. She's not too squishy and she's not solely melee and you can teleport to an enemy to hit him and teleport away (to friendly units) again, so you're a little more mobile than most other melee champs. Only thing she lacks is a disable or stun.

Maybe Nidalee might suit you as well, she's a nice hybrid of melee, ranged and even support since she got a heal.