Having some problems trying to learn Ashe

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Amberspark

11-09-2014

I'm not particularly good at mobas. I have about 600 games of experience in DotA and maybe 150 or so in League over two accounts. When it comes to my role in LoL, I tend to mid, support or panic so I figured I should probably learn how to AD carry.

I recently played a game that sort of just confused me. I did very well as Ashe, managing to keep up on CS and nab a score like 7/1 relatively early in. The enemy Misfortune was 5/2. The team kinda figured we'd be fine since I was ahead, but in the end I just couldn't carry like Misfortune did. Misfortune started hitting up other lanes and wrecking us in teamfights and I would always do all of land an arrow, slow them, autoattack one to death and get picked off by that point. Their carry seemed impossible to reach while I sort of felt... vulnerable? I did try to keep to the edge of teamfights and autoattack whoever was convenient for my survival, but at some point my entire team would be left decimated and I'd have to leg it - that or I'd be spontaneously nuked down from near the get go.

I guess my post here boils down to this: Was this my fault? Should I have carried just as hard as Misfortune? I don't know if I gave enough information for this one but is there any advice you have that can help me improve?

Here's a link to the game:

http://matchhistory.euw.leagueoflege...52310/40698510

CloppyFawk

11-09-2014

Hey there,

It's kind of hard to tell without seeing the actual game but the most likely scenario is that you were out of position. Basically what's going to happen in teamfights is that jarvan and nautilus will either dive you or peel for MF. If they dont dive you, there's no real threat because no one else can dive you. This means that you can just AA away, keep your distance, survive and just do a ton of damage. Also keep moving, especially as ashe you need to kite. You say you got 'nuked'. The only person on their team that has the potential to nuke you is syndra. This means you were out of position ( you shouldn't have been there ).

So in short: just try to know the 'zone' in which they can burst you and stay out of it. Don't caught out of position, keep kiting in teamfights and survive because a dead carry does no damage.

On top of that, your build path was wrong. After your IE/Shiv you shouldn't have gone for bloodthirster but rather stick with the vamp scepter and go for Last Whisper because they have 2 tanks, you can't really kill them if you have no armor penetration.

Cloppy

Amberspark

11-09-2014

Oh, I see! Thanks, that helps a lot. I'll try to keep that in mind.

Ruind

11-09-2014

You should also realise that your Kassadin and Jax were not effective. Even if you had matched Miss Fortune, your team would have been weaker due to this.

This is important because a) you can't win all the games, remember this and just brush off the losses and b) Ashe brings initiation and crowd control to your team, not extreme damage. She relies somewhat on her team to help her kill things - but you didn't have anybody else to rely on. If your Kassadin and Jax had ever managed to farm up the outcome would have likely been different.

They also had a jungler and three dragons, which would have made a big difference.

Wanotiki

11-09-2014

It's a problem a lot of players have. They win their lane, or at least go even and then do not understand how to use or gain an advantage. It's also one of the biggest catalysts for toxic players. These players think that because they won their lane their job is done and it's everyone elses fault.

There is no single solution unfortunately. If you are winning your lane you should be thinking how you can help others. For example, push the lane into the enemy tower and then roam. Even placing wards around the river etc is beneficial to your midlaner.

I find that playing the Jungler is a great way to learn how to apply pressure. The role is entirely based around moving between lanes and trying to gain advantages for your team. You are forced to make decisions quickly, if it was a bad idea stop and think what could have been done instead.

TL;DR you have to learn to apply pressure across the map, not just your lane

MadMuppet

11-09-2014

Yeah its pretty much been summed up. With ADC timing and positioning is key. You need to make sure you choose when to enter a fight. Too early and you will likely be out of position and blown up. Too late and your team will have taken too much damage. Ashe is very squishy so you want to make sure they cant get to you to kill you. Wait for a tanky member of your team to engage and then focus their carries.

Hasztalan2

11-09-2014

How to learn Ashe:

Step 1) :

YOU DO NOT PICK HER AT ALL

Congratulations, you are a pr0 Ashe player now.

Amberspark

12-09-2014

Wow, thanks for all the replies! Yeah, I did notice that others on my team weren't doing too good. I definitely should have tried to help out their lane. I don't really rage at people since it tends to cause lost games. ...Not to say I don't get annoyed but meh everyone has bad games and I need to remind myself that I'm not good enough to judge people. xD ..Which as someone said can be hard when your score is going to your head. o_o I don't struggle with that much though. Usually when I have a good score I'm just glad I'm less likely to be raged at. I'm usually fine to lose if I'm not the sole reason for it. xD

I play a lot of Katarina mid so I do have a bit of a grasp on roaming and in my last few games of Ashe I've definitely been working on map pressure a lot more. Had a couple really really good games. If I land kills on the enemy carry/support with the help of a jungler/mid or something, I'll sometimes roam mid and see if I can set up a kill there. Some games I feel like I'm not really ahead enough though, or they'll have too much pressure in the lane and I just need to farm. It's helped a lot though and I definitely need to do it more. x: I didn't originally think it was okay for adc to roam much at all and it kinda made me feel useless and wanna go back mid, so I'm really glad to hear it is.

Positioning is kinda hard for me but I think I'm doing better. I often find that I can't get to the other adc, so I try to leave it to the assassins and dps anyone that extends into a range I can fire to without getting too close. Big gap closers are a bit of a problem for me still, especially if I don't remember what some hero on their team does and they just popup with a charge and some burst. That's terrifying.

Also noh, I like Ashe. :c

Thanks again for all the replies!

Ruind

12-09-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amberspark View Post
I often find that I can't get to the other adc, so I try to leave it to the assassins and dps anyone that extends into a range I can fire to without getting too close.
This is exactly what you should be doing. It's usually impossible for an ADC to focus the enemy ADC.

Instead, you should just try to deal as much damage as you can safely deal - no matter who it is to. Despite what some low-ranking players might tell you, it's fine - and in many cases necessary - for ADCs to attack enemy tanks and bruisers.

Hasztalan2

12-09-2014

Quote:
Also noh, I like Ashe. :c

Like it or not, at some point you'll have to face with the fact that ashe requires significantly more effort to get half the results what other adcs can do. She lacks everything there is for an adc, utility (cmon pls, dont start stupid debates about "BUT UMAGAD ASHE HAZ UTILITIZ DEM THERE", as no she doesnt. Her slow is outdated and barely scratches the usefullness since all the dashes and mobility creep appeared, her ult is OK but has waaaaaaaay 2 long CD what it does and so on) steroid, early-, mid- and lategame. Mediocre burst and sustained dmg, immobile as **** and the list could go on. There is literally no single reason to pick Ashe (unless you choose him over Urgoth hue).

If you still vouch for Ashe i'd still recommend trying out a bit easier/stronger/moreforgiving ADC to learn the role a bit easier and when u got some experience (like 50 games or so) then you can switch back to Ashe.