Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a tonne of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out Boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Tutorial: LoL in Wine (Linux)

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Chotaz

Recruiter

09-28-2010

@Aashes:

try sudo sh to run everything as root and then try again winetricks ie6 or winetricks vcrun2005 for example.

Aashes

09-28-2010

Still same problem -,- Permission denied ;/ Its third time, when i try to make it work, didnt get any further so far... its gets to winetricks, and after installing gecko it doesnt work... maybe i make a mistake, while installing or configuring winetricks? Can it be possible?

Magical Prawn

09-30-2010

Quote:
Thewoobie]
when i do wine leaugeoflegendsEUDownloder.exe I just get a error message 00005.
and yes i have 32bit system and my compter works with lol ive played it many times before. bt i can download the installer.
does anyone have any tricks or tips?[/quote]
Did you try the Standalone client? It's available for download on the forum.

Quote:
xfreece666:
After driver update I now get
[something something
:

I don't know right now but I will let you know if I know more. I am not an expert but after all my trouble I think I might help sometime. I have an ATI card too and I use the latest 10.8 driver. Did you install the d3dx9 package with winetricks? And maybe updating to a newer version of wine will work; they have made a lot of improvements to Direct3D/DirectX.

[quote=Aashes]
While im trying to configure my winetricks (aka, adobe etc) i got this message : bash: ./winetricks: Permission denied

Try:
[code]sh winetricks[/code]
if that doesn't work please do:
[code]ls -l | grep winetricks[/code]
and post your output.

Quote:
Chotaz:

try sudo sh to run everything as root and then try again winetricks ie6 or winetricks vcrun2005 for example.

It's better not to install winetricks as root, so I have been told.

KetchupMaster

10-13-2010

I've got a quite good workaround for this problem, at least it works quite good for me in a VM of VMware.

VMWare Workstation (or Fusion for Mac i think) does support directX9 3d-acceleration - about 80% of your real hardware.

I play on a VM with Windows 7 now ... XP should also work (its probably even not that strict in licensing anymore).

For real Linuxers its not the very best solution, but you don't have to trouble your computer with MS Windows or have to restart yust for playing some LoL.

CutDown

11-02-2010

when im trying to get this to work through wine, this is the error i get:
[CODE]
fixme:ntdll:find_reg_tz_info Can't find matching timezone information in the registry for bias -120, std (d/m/y): 12/09/2010, dlt (d/m/y): 26/03/2010
err:seh:raise_exception Unhandled exception code c0000005 flags 0 addr 0x8
err:seh:setup_exception_record nested exception on signal stack in thread 0019 eip 7bc72d10 esp 7ffd7c7c stack 0xc92000-0xe90000
[/CODE]
how do i fix that?

CutDown

11-03-2010

bump

Magical Prawn

11-08-2010

Just to answer your question; I have absolutely no idea. Perhaps you could post some information about your system and setup etc?

Metalgrid

11-10-2010

Hey guys, here's the guide I followed to run LoL under Linux successfully:
http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=329662

All credits goes to the original author, I just followed the steps described in the shell script, didn't run it because I don't use ubuntu, but it works fine for other systems. It worked for me under Slackware 13.1. Hope this helps you get it up and running. If you need any assistance you can mail me: metalgrid [at] mail [dot] bg
See you soon in-game, Linux Legends

cualnoestaenuso

11-26-2010

i have ubuntu 10.10 and i cant run it! and im spanish, to hard 4 me i think...

MoonGloves

01-15-2011

Confirmed OK on Debian Squeeze, Wine 1.3.10.
You only need to install the patch from the first page once. I don't know why it tells to patch twice since it is the same patch.

There is a how to on the official WineDB LoL page :
http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=19141

Don't forget to switch Wine to Windows 2000 compatibility mode.
And if you have already one Wine installed on your computer from the official repos, follow the steps from this guide, especially line 46 to install in a custom location :
http://pastebin.com/1zHVZpsf

Best regards to the guys who managed to give the Linux community a working LoL client !