Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a tonne of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out Boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Movement speed FAQ

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Sephirotica

05-25-2010

Credit goes to Stumpster for compiling this and Guinsoo for adding some explanations.

III. Movement

Q: How much movement do the different levels of boots add?

A: Level 1 adds 50, Level 2 adds 70, Level 3 adds 90, Level 5 adds 130. Boots do not stack.

Q: How do movement modifiers work? (Credit to Larias)

A: First, you have your base movement of say 300. You add boots first, always boots first, so if you have boots added.

Let's say you get boots 2. That's 370 movement. Then, you get 35% movement speed buff from items or runes or masteries or buffs: that 370 is multiplied by 1.35, or 499.5 movement speed. If this is the only thing affecting your movement speed, the diminishing returns formula kicks in.

Now, let's say you get slowed by 38% (ashe arrows). What happens is the ORIGINAL 499.5 is multiplied by .62, and you get 309.69 movement speed. Because 309 is not above or below diminishing returns, you stay at that speed.

Q: What are these diminishing movement returns? (Credit to Guinsoo)

A: For each point of movement you would have above 490, that amount is reduced by 50%. So if your final movement speed was 748, it would be reduced to 490 + (748-490)*0.5 = 604. For each point of movement you would have above 415, it is reduced by 20%. So if your speed after all mods was 445, you would end with 415 + 30 * 0.8 = 439.

Q: Do slows stack?

A: No item will stack with itself. Only one "item slow" can be active at a time, and it's the largest one. Item slows include Phage, Trinity Force, Frozen Mallet, and Rylai's Crystal Scepter. However, these will stack with other slow effects, like Nunu's Ice Blast, Ashes Frost Arrow or any other slow in the game.

However, stacking slows is far from additive. There are soft caps on how much your speed can be hasted or slowed, so usually applying multiple slow effects to a target often won't result in a huge speed decrease past the first one.

Ingolf

05-25-2010

Looks neat but I'm not sure if you're using the mathmatical term diminishing returns right. Your equation looks more like a constant reduction of the value rather than involving the rules of diminishing returns.

Sephirotica

05-25-2010

Quote:
Ingolf:
Your equation looks more like a constant reduction of the value rather than involving the rules of diminishing returns.

It does indeed, however in that equation only movement speeds of over 415 were taken into account and that is actually where diminishing returns kick in. If the equation started from, lets say 410 speed and you got boosted by (a nice round number of, lets say) 200 your speed would get increased to 415 normally (410+5), from there remaining 195 would get reduced by 20% to 156 which would than increase your speed to 490 (415 + 75). After that remaining movement speed (from that imaginary buff you just received) would be further reduced by 50% leaving you with extra 40 movement speed, giving us a total of 530 MS effectively reducing your buff from 200 to 120.

H4nnes

07-27-2010

i thought relais scepter stacks if you buy several of them?
at least the effect isnt unique
but i could be wrong
2 relais on akila is awsome, but i wonder if it stacks, else i might consider just getting something else, but stil, it gives huge ap en hp

Sephirotica

07-27-2010

Quote:
Sephirotica:
A: No item will stack with itself.

So, 2 Rylais wont stack with each other.

NaughtiusMaximus

08-25-2010

hei, i am kinda new and haven't really understood everything in here but i'll read it again. my question is with wich item do you get lvl 5?

shawabawa

10-18-2010

Quote:
NaughtiusMaximus:
hei, i am kinda new and haven't really understood everything in here but i'll read it again. my question is with wich item do you get lvl 5?

boots of mobility gives you +2 and increases to +5 if you haven't been hit recently.

Yoq

12-28-2010

well, so if someone has 300movement speed :
Frost Arrow : 300-35% = 195
Red Lizard buff : 195-25% = 146.25
Frozen mallet:146.25-20%(?)=117
Is that right?

[dont look at the values,just at how it was counted)

Sephirotica

12-28-2010

Well, something like that.

Frost arrow: 300 - 35% = 195
Lizard buff: 1) 195 - 15% = 165.79
2) 165.79 - 5% = 157.5
Frozen mallet: 157.5 - 10% = 136.8

After 50% slow all slow effects are reduced by (roughly) 50%.
So frost arrow would reduce by 35%, red buff would reduce by 15% (to reach 50%) after wich remaining slow would be reduced so instead of remaining 10% it would be 5%, last applied slow would be reduced by 50% as well.

FYI - Red lizard buff slows for only 15% or ranged carries regardless of other slows.

SDMarukokun

01-01-2011

Some (older) calculations on slow over at leaguecraft:
http://forum.leaguecraft.com/index.php?/topic/4741-important-mechanics-on-slow/page__st__20
According to them the effect reduction starts at about 220 movement, not at "50% slow"...