How to counter Morde?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Ylayana

05-06-2011

So i'm not a top player, i'm level 26 and i don't have much runes. I played yesterday against a Morde who totally owned us. I was playing Swain and whenever i use my DoT he would just fill up his shield and no damage,. He is immune to CC and i'm not complaining about his ult, just how to counter all his spells since harassing is my thing. Not a QQ about him being OP or something, just a question about how to counter him cus i have rarely played as/against him.

Nighthunter Nox

05-06-2011

Its very hard as swain to counter him, since your a spellcaster with sustained dmg early game and not burst as say annie. I personally prefer Ashe to counter him, since the crit will force him away at first then you can just keep shooting him if he comes back.

His lane partner can mess up this tho.

Annoyíng

05-06-2011

Ask for a lane switch, casters can't lane very well against Mordekaiser.

Talespinner

05-06-2011

Immune to CC? Was there some secret Mordekaiser buff that wasn't mentioned in the patch notes?

Apart from pointing out that obvious misconception I can just repeat what others have said; Swain will almost certainly lose a 1v1 lane to Morde if the players have an equal understanding of the game.

If you are, for some silly reason, forced to lane against him anyway you just need to stay beside (as opposed to behind) your creeps. That way you force Morde to chose whether he wants to farm/build shield or harass you. Morde is NOT a skillshot champion, the usual "hide behind the creeps so he can't hit me" does NOT apply to him. In fact he really wants you to hide behind your creeps, so he can damage you while farming and keeping his shield maxed. Learn to position yourself so he can't hit both you and the creeps.

Oh and never engage him when he has some of your creeps nearby. Strike him in between the minion waves.

As mentioned, Swain is a BAD pick to face Morde, but Morde is overall not very good. Should you happen to get ahead he is extremely easy to zone. By simply standing between him and his creeps you are denying him the ability to even try to fight you. This obviously requires you to have the advantage and that may be hard to get for Swain. Just making sure to mention it because many newer players are not aware that you can shut down Morde completely the very second you get a health advantage on him.

Ylayana

05-06-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talespinner View Post
Immune to CC? Was there some secret Mordekaiser buff that wasn't mentioned in the patch notes?

Apart from pointing out that obvious misconception I can just repeat what others have said; Swain will almost certainly lose a 1v1 lane to Morde if the players have an equal understanding of the game.

If you are, for some silly reason, forced to lane against him anyway you just need to stay beside (as opposed to behind) your creeps. That way you force Morde to chose whether to wants to farm/build shield or harass you. Morde is NOT a skillshot champion, the usual "hide behind the creeps so he can't hit me" does NOT apply to him. In fact he really wants you to hide behind your creeps, so he can damage you while farming and keeping his shield maxed. Learn to position yourself so he can't hit both you and the creeps.

Oh and never engage him when he has some of your creeps nearby. Strike him in between the minion waves.

As mentioned, Swain is a BAD pick to face Morde, but Morde is overall not very good. Should you happen to get ahead he is extremely easy to zone. By simply standing between him and his creeps you are denying him the ability to even try to fight you. This obviously requires you to have the advantage and that may be hard to get for Swain. Just making sure to mention it because many newer players are not aware that you can shut down Morde completely the very second you get a health advantage on him.
Whoops, sorry, immune to harass ^^

The Shroud

05-06-2011

i have beatmorde with swain get negartorn and some health more early then you would i alsawys get blue buff with swain. so how excatly is he going to kill me?but if you want to beat him easy send something tanky with burst akali will do [she has a lot of base hp for an assassin]

Hemming

05-06-2011

Rumble. Flamespitter up his face, Or Stand between him and his minions, after he have used Siphon of Destruction he cant really do anything for like 8 seconds which is plenty of time to peel his shield off and hurt him. You dont need rumble for doing this.

Talespinner

05-06-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ylayana View Post
Whoops, sorry, immune to harass ^^
Ahh, makes more sense then

And he's not at all immune to harass. Just as mentioned, you need to strike him when there's not creeps. This is tough as Swain though, as you main harass is a DoT that will often allow him to build at least some shield before it has run it's full course.

It can be done, however. I beat Morde with Swain whenever I face him, simply because I've played a lot of games with Morde so I know his cooldowns and ranges and how he plays.

The reason newer players have trouble facing him is because you can not play against him like you play against all other champions.But once you've learned how to face a Morde he's an easy opponent with almost any champion.

The hard champs to play against Morde are generally the ones that require creep interaction to keep their health up, since you will be placing yourself perfectly for him to screw you up while still keeping his shield up. Renekton, Irelia and Swain comes to mind as some of the worst to face Morde. And well, melee champions in general

Tedd0r

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-06-2011

i think rumble is a **** funny counter, but rumble mostly works exact the same way but different shields
children of the grave is (id say) not as good as rumbles but flamespitter = siphon of destruction, rumble has slow, morde hasnt and mordes shield is not as good as rumbles in general(ofc buff your mates when tanking dragon etcbla in this case mordes shield is better, but not for laning).
so rumble counters him easily in lane
also rene counters him easily in lane
as xin does
as irelia does

the problem about morde is if he gets too far away from you in cs he gets early revolver + other stuff he needs against you, then its almost impossible to keep up
the key is early harass, hes nothing until level 5. you cant do that with most casters, but almost every melee counters him very hard in lane, at least early. and a morde without farming advantage is nothing, because farming is the only thing he really can do. (oh and push lanes )

xFroz3nx

05-06-2011

For me, harassing worked fairly good against morde, with any champ. Make sure you hit him with your spells before he charges his shield, so he'll really lose this hp. He will start to charge his shield up more when he's seeing that you can actually damage him and use more abilities, so he'll lose more health due that. If he's a dumb morde, he will just clear your entire creep wave and push the hell out of your lane. That's your moment when you can harass him, because his shield will drop down after a few seconds. I have never played against Morde as Swain but I think if his shield isn't up, Swain's combo should be able to really hurt him.
If you can't handle it, you might wanna change lanes with a range AD carry or ask your jungle for multiple ganks.