Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a tonne of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out Boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

A good champion to improve my map awareness?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

TheNekoGentleman

02-16-2015

Hello,

I'm a player with huge map awareness and decision making issues at the moment and I want to change that. I look at the minimap and ward strategically, but when I do something (like a camp or a splitpush), either I notice too late a teamfight started or I don't notice a gank until too late and get killed or waste my flash. So I'm looking for a good champion to help me do that. Do you have any suggestions?

I'm already maining Ziggs because his Ult oblige me to be alert at all times (and because he's SO MUCH FUN), but other alternatives would be nice (I won't be getting mid all games, after all.)

thank you in advance ^^

Xylophonic

02-16-2015

Well all champions in the game need to have some sort of map awareness/decision making needed to play them most effectively. However, I think there are perhaps a few that have a slight more emphasis on these things in terms of the way they play. I'm just going to list a few I can think off the top of my head as well as explaining why him/her needs some sort of map awareness/decision making to play them effectively.

Twisted Fate - His ult is massively dependent on your ability to look around the map as it marks all enemy champions locations on the map as well as allows you to teleport within a large radius to be able to gank other lanes. Good TF players are able to make quick decisions about where to teleport by looking at the minimap before hand to see what lanes have low enough health to get a successful gank off. So I'd say he's a great champ to pick up especially for what you're looking for. Especially considering how cheap he is to get!

Shen - Similar reasoning to Twisted Fate. He has a near global ult that allows you to teleport to ally champions around the map. What's different is the timing of the ults i.e. is your ally in another lane is close to death? Good Shen ults can save your teammates and turn a horrible fight in your favour very quickly.

Soraka - More similar to Shen. Her ult is a heal for all ally champions. So some map awareness is required but as far as sorting out possible issues I would say she would only be useful for fine tuning any minor issues with map awareness.

Kalista - With her little spirits that act as moving wards (her W I think but correct me if I'm wrong!) they are pretty beneficial in looking down possible gank paths the enemy jungler could take to gank you. This teaches you to look at the minimap to check if they've either spotted anyone or have been taken out by the enemy. Thus, allowing you to notice ganks earlier ahead of time. Also, a possible start to improving map awareness in a small scale by starting with just your own lane.

Teemo - Can't believe I'm suggesting this but Teemo shrooms whilst being annoying as hell to deal with can provide a lot of vision coverage. Plus you'd need some map awareness to notice when a shroom you've placed earlier has been stepped on. Hence, alerting you to possible enemies locations.

My personal suggestion is playing Twisted Fate just because he covers a lot of the problems you appear to be having in the use of his ultimate alone.

TheNekoGentleman

02-16-2015

Sir, THANK YOU. Guess who is my main toplaner? Teemo. And I never thought of memorizing where I put my shrooms before (I always put them to create a "death vision garden" around major objectives, but never thought about checking if they popped or not).
Also, TF is free this week. So ... :3
I'm open to any other suggestions (because I've got to admit: While I did pretty good with Kalista, she isn't fun for me to play. And Shen's playstyle doesn't click with me either,so...)

Wanotiki

02-17-2015

Hey man!

I have a slightly different suggestion. Instead of looking for a champion, I would suggest playing jungle more. As a jungler you have to be aware what is going on in your lanes, where the enemy jungler was last seen, where good gank opportunities are etc. It also helps practice your warding control and denial.

Some people really don't like jungling but if you don't mind it then I would recommend trying that instead of a specific lane champion

Wano

TheNekoGentleman

02-17-2015

Sir Wano, the reason I really want to improve those is because Jungling is without a doubt my favourite post in the game. But a jungler that foregoes an easy gank because he's doing the gromp... Yeah... not the best one.

Wanotiki

02-17-2015

If jungling is your favourite then just keep playing it. Your map awareness will improve with practice.

You're already noticing your mistakes if you understand you missed a good gank because you were farming!

Everytime you get to a camp, take a look at all 3 lanes. See whats happening and think what to do next. There's no point sitting watching your champion smacking camps

Same thing if you're recalling or running out of base to jungle. These are some basic starting points, the rest will come eventually!