Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a tonne of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out Boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

DEBATE on "offensive language"

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Warbackxoxo

02-12-2015

That private domain thing is such a bad argument, there are instances of free speech in private and public domain.

And the rethoric still stands, in the internet, Lol included, offensive language exists. If you don't like it, it's obviously not the place for you.

GangrelCat

02-12-2015

Quote:
Warbackxoxo:
That private domain thing is such a bad argument, there are instances of free speech in private and public domain.

Those instances only exist because the owners of those domains allow it, they have no oblegation to allow you to use their domain. Again, I can kick you out of my house if I don't like what you're saying, and there is no court in the world that can convict me for it.

Quote:
Warbackxoxo:
And the rethoric still stands, in the internet, Lol included, offensive language exists. If you don't like it, it's obviously not the place for you.

'In the world rape and murder exists. If you don't like it, it's obviously not the place for you.'
Just because it's there, doesn't mean it's right, or should be allowed.

-----------------------------------------------------
You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty.
Mahatma Gandhi

Je suis Charlie

Lady Lothiriel

02-12-2015

Quote:

And it's still the completely wrong foot you are standing on here. This is not about whether or not someone individually likes or dislikes something, this is about what the company likes or dislikes.

And - to my great satisfaction - they dislike verbal abuse and offensive language, because if all is said and done, it hurts their business apparently much more than a few disgruntles flamers who think their consitutional rights are being violated by them not being allowed to spew verbal filth.

Frenchie2010

02-12-2015

Quote:
higura:
http://www.truthwinsout.org/news/2014/04/40276/

So true and so fitting. Love it.

Warbackxoxo

02-12-2015

You can't define offensive language, because taking offense is subjective, like i said mnay times before, instead of imposing your own sensibilities you should be activetly working to rule the most common denominator out.

And you continously and convinenlty ignore the power it is, to twist the concept of "flaming", to censor anyone that you don't like.

It's an aproach that so many are using this day and age. Censoring oposing points of view or bad critic, to prove a point, that sentiments > truth/facts, when it almost never should be the case.

Saying something is bad, also doesn't make it necessary bad suprinsgly enough.

The "verbal filth" you choose to cherry- pick does nothing to your argument, but solidify the point that you're against all types of confrontational or negative speech.

When in reality, all you should be censoring is hate speech and insults.

Learn the subtle diference.

Hagglinz BS

02-12-2015

Quote:
Warbackxoxo:
You can't define offensive language, because taking offense is subjective, like i said mnay times before, instead of imposing your own sensibilities you should be activetly working to rule the most common denominator out.

Exactly, you cant define what is offensive or not.

Lady Lothiriel Wrote:
Now you decided to break the rules and come here whining that you - in complete accordance with what you agreed to - are being punished?

Break the rules? who is to say that the stuff you write to your team or enemy-team is offensive? It's the player reading the comment who is deciding for himself what HE/SHE takes offensive. Most of the times i'st just people who takes everything in a negative way.

"PLayers who communicate win 33% more games"
Now who is to decide what is offensive and what is not? reports are being filed anyways, but you never see the actual sentence being written!

GangrelCat

02-12-2015

Quote:
Warbackxoxo:

At the moment, the definition of offensive language for this game is what the majority of Tribunal voters in the old Tribunal found offensive.
If that is something you wish to change in the future, start voting in the new Tribunal. Until that is up however, not much is going to change about the current definition.

Quote:
Warbackxoxo:
And you continously and convinenlty ignore the power it is, to twist the concept of "flaming", to censor anyone that you don't like.

Then stop using the word flaming, it's not the only punishable thing anyway, and start using the word toxic, which incorporates every form of abuse. And start helping with defining what is or isn't toxic once the Tribunal is up.

Quote:
Warbackxoxo:
It's an aproach that so many are using this day and age. Censoring oposing points of view or bad critic, to prove a point, that sentiments > truth/facts, when it almost never should be the case.

Yes, there are some problems in several countries. I'm very glad that I live where I live.

Quote:
Warbackxoxo:
Saying something is bad, also doesn't make it necessary bad suprinsgly enough.

True. It's defined by the majority of a social group, it practically differs from one social group to the next and is fluid, changing over time.

Quote:
Warbackxoxo:
When in reality, all you should be censoring is hate speech and insults.

Learn the subtle diference.

[Devil's advocate mode on]And who defines what is or isn't hate speech or insulting? It's subjective so it shouldn't be punished.[Devil's advocate mode off]

-----------------------------------------------------
You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty.
Mahatma Gandhi

Je suis Charlie

Warbackxoxo

02-12-2015

Quote:
Hagglinz BS:
Exactly, you cant define what is offensive or not.

Lady Lothiriel Wrote:
Now you decided to break the rules and come here whining that you - in complete accordance with what you agreed to - are being punished?

Break the rules? who is to say that the stuff you write to your team or enemy-team is offensive? It's the player reading the comment who is deciding for himself what HE/SHE takes offensive. Most of the times i'st just people who takes everything in a negative way.

So what's your point? Should we bann everyone that says something that people find offensive even if it's true or not offensive to no one else?

If i say, katarina is **** champion, and if someones takes offense from that, should i be banned, for insulting an unrelated thing that someone has picked.

If i say "cucu lady gaga go girl" and people take offense, should i be punished if people take offense?

Find the lowest common denominator, not the lowest denominator.

Warbackxoxo

02-12-2015

Hate speech and insulting is quite define and easy to point out, that's a common denominator, and i won't explain to you things of common sense.

Toxic, offensive language, flaming i don't really care what you call what honestly is what it is, negative criticism or statement of facts should not be included in that.

If you want to rule out everything that contributes to a loss in the verbal form, like negative criticism or statement of facts do, then by all means remove the chat, because it will never ever happen.

People are not apatic, noone is going to come into this game, and not be judgmental or critising other people, and no it's not going to be all good stuff.

I mean it's surreal to me, how you people view the real world, in what instance of reality, do you see people not being blamed or critisiced or verbally atacked for theire ****-ups?

You can tone it down in a video-game sure, but to ban people who just are critical of you? It's just ego protection and you'll never, ever aknowledge a better understanding of the game, if there isn't people telling you, you're bad at it.

Hagglinz BS

02-12-2015

Quote:
Warbackxoxo:
So what's your point? Should we bann everyone that says something that people find offensive even if it's true or not offensive to no one else?

My point is this is not a legit reason to ban people from Ranked games.

Quote:
Warbackxoxo:
If i say, katarina is **** champion, and if someones takes offense from that, should i be banned, for insulting an unrelated thing that someone has picked.

If i say "cucu lady gaga go girl" and people take offense, should i be punished if people take offense?

No you should not be banned for that, that is what i mean! You cannot set a serious restriction, if the only thing to base the bann on is a report that might or might not be serious.

CHAT restriction is fine in some ways sure. BUT to bann people from ranked games is just stupid.

You can actualy base your oppinion on how high they rank. If you are a higher ranked player, that means you have most likly played alot of games, and therefor it is almost sertain that you havent had much of a "Chat/Ranked Restriction"