Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a tonne of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out Boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Questions from a Noob

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

BigBlueJeep

02-03-2015

I am currently lvl 8. I started LoL on a whim, and didn't know anything. I played the tutorial, ran a few bot games, and just played. Up until recently I had no clue about LH, and basically just pushed the lane. I am having a hard time finding my role. I have had the most fun in this game taking/Super Tank, an playing Master Yi. I really enjoy being able to run head first into a fight and getting beat on, but still winning. I have tried to run solo top with very little success. I have a hard time with the slow start, so I don't know if this is really for me either. I have played ADC Support, and mages in the middle, and the only role I don't really enjoy much is ADC ranged. Being new, and low level do I need to just pick a role, and stick it with for awhile, or should I be playing all the different roles to find my niche so to speak? What type of games should I be playing (custom, Bots, PvP) to really get a grasp on the game? This is my first time playing a game of this type, and I enjoy it, but I don't feel like I am improving while learning more. At times I think the more I learn about the game the worse off I do. Any advice is appreciated, and sorry so long winded.

Gamerster

02-03-2015

First of all you should play the role that you're good at it , while playing other role for more game knowledge (it's the same thing with champ ). i think you should play more normal games and play positivly (don't flame and stuff...).
Tips that i can give you :
- Try to last hit , you can do that on costom game for practice ( last hit : kill the creep don't just attack them)
- Learn how to trade with your enemies
i think this are the most important Tips that i can give you
You can add me if you want if you need any tips

Wanotiki

02-03-2015

Play anything and everything. When you're learning it's important to try lots of champs. It doesn't just teach you how to play them, it also teaches you what to expect against them. Even if you don't think you'll enjoy the champ, try them out in a bot game or something and see what you think. IP takes a while to build up and, speaking from experience, lots of champs you buy quickly get left to the side. So be sure you like the champ before you buy them.

As Gamester said, practice last-hitting. It's one of the most important skills in League.

I recommend playing PvP as soon as possible, bots become predictable and you will not gain as much playing against them. Some advice for playing normals, turn All chat off in the settings menu and Mute any player that starts being toxic in chat.(Mute button is found to the right of each player in the TAB menu in-game) Mute them and continue playing.

It takes time to get better, just keep playing and try to understand 1 mistake you make each game.

If you want any more help feel free to add me!

IGN: Wanotiki

BigBlueJeep

02-03-2015

Thanks for the advice guys. I will add you both. I was thinking about playing some custom AARAM to practice my last hitting. Figure I just don't take abilities and just practice LH. Gotta start somewhere I guess.

Wanotiki

02-04-2015

Quote:
BigBlueJeep:
Thanks for the advice guys. I will add you both. I was thinking about playing some custom AARAM to practice my last hitting. Figure I just don't take abilities and just practice LH. Gotta start somewhere I guess.

It's a good idea and one I do myself. I would suggest doing a custom on Summoners rift instead. It allows you to practice in the real lanes and it makes a big difference when trying to drop creep aggro.

It also allows you to practice basic lane control(i.e. how to recall and come back to lane without losing loads of cs)

shileka

02-05-2015

i'm not going to pretend i'm good at the game (okay just a little) but if you want to do some training vs bots or normals then add me, i'm currently testing difrent ways to build sona so we can go fail together

ap aldzek

02-05-2015

whatch some youtube movies?

qwerty5522

02-05-2015

Quote:
BigBlueJeep:

That is a good idea ur doing Well just remember to play champions u like!

Plaguebringer D

02-07-2015

Quote:
BigBlueJeep:

I don't understand using ARAM, sure you can train basic CSing but you'll get a distorted experience when it comes to surroundings and lane momentum/dynamics. If you wanna train overall CS, taking just any random champion and doing it on ARAM works. But not every champion is the same for taking CS. So once you find a champ/role that you like, you'll probably have to train it in a more real setting. There I usually start in a custom SR against 1 intermediate bot and increase the numbers once I feel confident with the champion.

I'd say focusing on a role helps. It's not gonna be easy because you don't always get to play your role, but your performance will be better.
Trying different champions is great and to that end, I just created a smurf account at some point with the goal to get to 30 without buying a champion, so only the ones on rotation. But once you find a champ you really enjoy, learning how to play it is a good thing to do. Don't let anyone tell you that your champ is "not viable" because unless you're playing in very high-skill brackets the FOTM picks don't matter nearly as much as people think. Someone who knows his champion very well will basically delete his enemy who just took a "counter pick" which he played 3 times before.