Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a tonne of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out Boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Tanks lost viability in season 5

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Pappetsu

01-28-2015

When i play with Shen i use 4,5% movement speed runes and 1,5% movement speed mastery. With the 8% movement speed of the trinity blade the total is 14%. Shen will have 399 MS points which is same has if he had boots equipped. In the meanwhile i buy just the 1st boots which later i sell to buy another item: HP, Armor, MR, AP, Damage, or whatever i need.

Dame

01-28-2015

And? You waste rune slots and that nice 10%dmg taken reductions vs basic attack just to spare boots slot? you should write guides...

Quote:
Inaphyt:

Whole thread is just a load of exaggeration people just whinge about magic resistance because it doesn't offer the same all around defences that armour does (turrets/ adc/ minions) if they made turrets do magic damage there would be more incentive to buy it and people could stop whinging.

Meanwhile the important turrets have 80%arp so don't give a **** about armor, and the rest ones can scale to so high dmg overtime, that it makes it impossible to tank long times, even with ~200 armor(when you reach that much armor they're probably destroyed anyway).
adc? and? what about apc?
SO yes, there are higher armor on items cause the minions, seems legit.(caster minions should do magic dmg anyway, but riot logic, casters do physical dmg)

Renegade Imp

01-28-2015

I still don't understand why they had to nerf Warmogs... Barely anybody used it during s4 and now it's just there to troll around with Garen. Volibear (who nobody uses) received quite a nerf with those Warmogs changes. Now I can only play Voli as a bruiser and the sad thing is that there are overall much better champions to fit the bruiser role like Udyr. Consistant damage has suddenly evolved into consistant burst.

Pappetsu

01-28-2015

Quote:
Dame:
And? You waste rune slots and that nice 10%dmg taken reductions vs basic attack just to spare boots slot? you should write guides...

The only runes that gives movement speed are quint runes, the big ones. It's no waste. You get more armor with another item then with quint armor runes. Boots are dispensable. I get the same MS with the 14%. With a spare slot i can buy another health plus armor item or an ability power item which Shen also needs. And since in some matches i don't fully fill the item slots, because it ends early, i spare some gold. I only buy the 1st boots, 325g, which later i sell.

CerbereNoTempest

01-28-2015

How to make Tanks viable again : reduce the 35% mitigation from Voidstaff and Lastwhisper to 30%, or even 25%.
Atm, with these items, plus others like Youmuu (and runes/masteries), it's too easy to kill a full tank. It's like the more you buy tanky, the more gold are wasted (it would also be an indirect buff to Black Cleaver).

Oh, and I'd like to see the Defense Tree buffed :

Block, Unyielding, Recovery and Runic Blessing don't scale, that's ****.

Dame

01-28-2015

Runic Blessing whortless trash, it's not worth it to waste 1point on it.

Also tanks can be killed easily without lw or void staff so there's no point in nerfing them.

DJarpa

01-28-2015

Honestly Building pure tank is kinda pointless in season 5.
You are way more useful as a Tank if you build some damage items tat synergies whit your abilities.
Such as building Liandrys on Zak or Sejuani.
Or Wit's End on nautilus.
Also ZZ portal is a pure tank item and its borderline OP if used correctly.

Dame

01-28-2015

Quote:
DJarpa:

Or Wit's End on nautilus.
Also ZZ portal is a pure tank item and its borderline OP if used correctly.

dfq did I just read omg? Wit's on naut? zz port op?
There are around 1month since zz port is in game, yet I never saw it builded by any one since then. Looks pretty op imao, it's stat so weak that it not worth the gold....

TBadger

01-29-2015

There's no decent tanks, because any time a tanky champion got popular being played as a fighter/bruiser, their base damage gets nerfed meaning the tank build becomes unviablly weak. The other thing is items like randuin's omen is useful on almost everyone, so obviously it gets nerfed rather than reworked in some way to make it back into a major tank's item.

Also, BotRK is probably THE most popular item in the game right know, picked up by adc, fighters, assassins and their dog. You can't stack health like a true tank any more, because you'll die just as quickly as any off-tank bruiser that deals a lot more damage. They just need enough health to not get 100->0 by a mage and that's it.

Seeing as they like % health damage, and 5 armour penetration so much, maybe to could actually give out some % armour/mr itmes, but make them only gold efficient if you have atleast 4 other major tank items, otherwise they'll just get abused by other champions and nerfed.

xt002

01-29-2015

TBH, if they remake the defense tree so you scale better (and 3% more mr and armor isn't really much scaling tbh) then allot of problems would get solved.

For a simple example, if you clear the jungle with almost any champion on 21/9/0 you will end up with less damage taken and a faster clear speed then when going 9/21/0.
Not really any reason to go defensive then when it is lacking early mid and lategame.