Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a tonne of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out Boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Offering advice for beginning support players

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Little Monkfish

01-22-2015

Hello there supports and aspiring supports I have mained support for 3 seasons now and I know how tough league can be at times when you want to improve and just feel stuck. I know how lost I was at the beginning and I have been stuck many times not knowing how to improve. While I am not diamond (sorry, only gold currently ^^) I do wish to offer my help to those who can make use of it. I have been 'mentoring' supports since march 2013, which was still on the old forums and after being busy with uni for a while I have decided to reopen the topic here. If you come across this topic many months (or years) from now, somewhere in the deep dusty depths of the forum, feel free to revive it as my offer to help stays available.

What do I offer
Advice on supporting, whether you have specific questions or you are just generally at a point where you feel stuck and want to know how to improve. I usually advise people to add me ingame as that means that I can give faster and more personalised responses to your questions via chat there, but by any means feel free to post in this topic if thats what you're more comfortable with. If you post in this topic keep in mind that while I'll always (unless it's a trollpost) respond to posts it may take (usually) a day, or if Im busy a few days before I respond.

"Please play a game with me"
I don't usually offer playing games with people (for one, I can't focus on anything but my ADc when Im playing support and when Im playing AD Im too busy failing to pay attention to anything at all). On occasion however I might spectate a game if someone asks me to. Mainly though I'll keep my advice to asking and answering questions.

To whom do I offer
Anybody who wants, although I doubt I can teach a diamond support much :P I can provide most help to those in bronze and silver (low gold might work but there my advice already gets very limited), or with say less than a year supporting experience.

TactiDestroyer

02-11-2015

Everywhere is well warded (dragon, baron, deep wards, etc).

You have less than 100 gold.

You red trinket is on cooldown.

Lanes are roughly in the middle.

It's mid/late game.

Your team is backing. You have full hp. Full mana.

What do you do?
(This actually happens btw)

My IGN is currently Apikulus4 if you want to look me up.

Have fun xoxo

Little Monkfish

02-13-2015

You press tab. Analyse the game, see who's strong and should be focussed, see what advantages they have over you, and you have over them. You might initially come up with a bunch of suboptimal strategies and your teammates might not always agree (never try to force a strategy on your team, cause you'll end up trying it alone and dying for it). However, thinking of a strategy is still always better than just running in at random and occasionally you might come up with something really clever and your team might think its an awsome idea and work together to achieve it and you might win a game that you would have otherwise lost. A problem that I personally have, and I think more players do too, is that the longer the game lasts the more they fall into old habbits, start tunnelvisioning and if the game goes bad you even probably go on tilt. Analysing the game not only helps you think of smart strategies, but it also helps you take a step back and look at the game as a whole, rather than overfocussing on 'omg that teammate is so bad' or 'I HAVE to ward that risky place' etc. It helps you make rational choices rather than emotional ones.

xMarryJane420

02-22-2015

Look at my post there's a good question for you

xMarryJane420

02-22-2015

Or acc im gonna ask here,is it even possible to Win with 5 ppl in bronze and 2 plat and 3 bronze ? Smurfs on enemy team us probably the only reason why im stuck in bronze

xMarryJane420

02-22-2015

Add me we'll play 1 Round and you're gonna tell me what im doing wrong * if you want

Little Monkfish

02-23-2015

I've added you. If you are consistently better than your team anyone should, no matter how unlucky you are with smurfs and such, be able to climb out of bronze. It might take a lot of games, but if you have patience you'll climb out. However, seen the small amount of games you have as a player (I see 200 normal wins, for instance, which isn't much) it is quite likely that you still belong in bronze.

You don't have to be a terrible player to belong in bronze. Sure, compared to a diamond one player everyone else is ****, but even getting out of bronze means that you'll have to do a lot more improvement work than just getting level 30 and playing a bunch of games. That doesn't mean you should dispair and think 'if it takes that many games I'll never get there' first of all most of the time when someone is stuck somewhere it is because of one or two clear big reasons (harassing not good enough, positioning bad, not good at farming, not consistent enough in executing stuff they know) and once you figure out what that problem is and you work on it for a while you can suddenly climb a few divisions (so from bronze 4 to bronze 2 or smth). And second, if you're patiently and spam enough games you'll get there eventually anyway. But just keep in mind that patience is a pretty important factor. Unless you have had a lot of previous expierence in for instance DotA League of Legends is not a game you can just rush through.

I'll spectate a game you play and I'll let you know if I notice something significant you can work on.

Roméry

02-23-2015

Super! Je vien tout juste de recevoir mon code pour des Points Riot!>> http://www.lolriotpointsgratuit.com <<

xMarryJane420

02-23-2015

Thx for, the videos ( I couldn't reply on LoL sry ) the lectures thought me more that or the other videos on YouTube I can understand the game now