Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a tonne of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out Boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

EU Server Roadmap Update

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Riot tmx

Live Services Manager - Europe

01-21-2015

Hey guys,

A couple of weeks ago we posted a thread on the NA forums regarding their server roadmap and some of you wondered if similar efforts were underway in EU. TL;DR: Yes. Update for the EU version of this project below.

As mentioned in previous announcements, we are also working on creating a large cross-continent Riot backbone that would connect major cities and regions in Europe. In fact, with the launch of the Amsterdam datacenter and some changes to the Frankfurt datacenter we now have over 500 direct connections with ISPs throughout Europe and we’ve already completed an initial high-speed private link between our datacenters in Frankfurt and Amsterdam. Some of you may have even noticed a smoother connection as a result and more good things are on the way.

Why are we doing this?

The decision to build our own Internet backbone in Europe is based on the same reasoning motivating the NA initiative: provide better connectivity to players by working around some of the liabilities of existing middlemen backbone providers.

Middlemen backbone providers carefully manage their businesses to deliver affordable bandwidth, but the most economical paths aren’t always the most suitable for online gaming. Some international circuits are congested while other providers tend to choose cheaper and lower quality routing.

Our goal is to extend Riot’s presence in regions affected by these limitations in order to improve the player experience and minimise connection difficulties. Instead of middleman backbone providers getting ISP traffic to us, we will be building direct connections to the ISPs that LoL players use, and then announce to these ISPs: feel free to use Riot’s backbone for your customers playing LoL. Since our backbone is solely dedicated to League traffic, this should improve the experience for a vast majority of player traffic as it leaves an ISP on its way to Riot.

This is a complex process, but player Lozza_Maniac gave an explanation of it here if you'd like to read more:
http://www.reddit.com/r/leagueoflege...ing_in_na_and/ (http://www.reddit.com/r/leagueoflegends/comments/2rh0qa/an_explanation_of_what_riot_is_doing_in_na_and/).

What are we doing and what is our current progress?

We’ve already begun designing and building out our own physical infrastructure. So far we’ve analyzed in-game networking stats, purchased the necessary equipment and finalised discussions with long haul circuit providers.
This new backbone will span multiple datacenters across Europe and the infrastructure will be fully managed by our dedicated team. We’re also hiring new engineers to help us level up this endeavour.

What about timeline?

Given the number of EU providers we are talking to, it’s difficult to predict exactly how long things are going to take, but we are moving as fast as possible given the scale of this endeavour. We’re aiming for the best solutions for you guys rather than the quickest, so we’re carefully handpicking all providers and backbone paths, hopefully resulting in the best possible improvement to your League gaming experience. While we prioritize our efforts where we see the most player pain, the realities of how telecoms and ISPs work mean that our actual schedule is driven by lots of factors.

The key takeaway is that we’re committed to bringing improvement to the Internet connection between Riot and ISPs which means we are stepping away from heavy reliance on existing middlemen backbone providers. However, we want to do this right and give you the awesome experience you deserve.

Keep an eye out for status updates in the upcoming months. We hope to be able to pass along estimated dates for the first rollout phase of this project relatively soon.

TheUndyingLord

Recruiter

01-21-2015

Hi there

I was just wondering. Why doesn't riot talk african or countrys that connect to euw about being a backbone. I don't want to make an argument or debate just a real question. Cause i have to live with Ping Spikes consistently and when I ask for support it is usually something on the lines of "contact your ISP". Now I read they are contacting ISP's about the same problem I complained about?

I have no words to explain what I am feeling right now. On one hand I have a company that tells me it is not there fault and CANT FIX IT and now I HEAR THEY CAN but just not for my continent and only for European players.

I hope to get a reply that makes sense
and not a Diplomatic Answer that leaves me hanging.

Eambo

Wrenchman

01-21-2015

Laymens terms: Riot are going to make their own highway to take your LoL traffic, to get you off the main highway that is pretty busy.

:-P

Marxon12

01-21-2015

Quote:
TheUndyingLord:
Someone can explain this in LAYMENS TERMS

Better connection if your living within a major city or populace area.

LtG Forgotten

01-21-2015

So Can you explain to me what does this means ? Are you changing the dns root of lol?

Eambo

Wrenchman

01-21-2015

As mentioned, this essentially means that Riot are going to work on building out their own highway for your traffic to be directed through.

Right now your game works like this:

Quote:

PC --> ISP --> Backbone providers (numerous) --> Riot's ISP --> Riot

Any part of this equation can cause lag and issues, and a lot of it isn't controlled by Riot.

Riot are going to make their own backbone, so essentially it'll go:
Quote:

PC --> ISP --> Riot's Backbone --> Riot's ISP --> Riot

As you can see, Riot has a lot more control over this - if issues happen in the backbone, they will be responsible, and able, to fix it. Right now there are numerous issues, but that doesn't mean they're Riot's fault - and Riot are limited in what they can get fixed.

The biggest issue I believe is the backbone providers. They aren't owned by your ISP, and they aren't owned by Riot - and nobody has total responsibility for them. ISP's often will not want to get involved, even though really it's them who are routing through them...which is commonly the cause of lag and packet loss.

LtG Forgotten

01-21-2015

One more question I have tested this

Quote:
If you are on windows, hit the windows key + r. A little window should appear, type "cmd" (no quotes) and hit enter. Then type tracert 216.52.241.254
From reddit and got

C:\Users\test1>tracert 216.52.241.254

Tracing route to riotgames-17.ext1.lax.pnap.net [216.52.241.254]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 394 ms 468 ms 479 ms 172.23.227.129
2 578 ms 119 ms 135 ms 172.23.226.40
3 129 ms 139 ms 119 ms 188.31.254.50.threembb.co.uk [188.31.254.50]
4 119 ms 119 ms 149 ms 188.31.255.89.threembb.co.uk [188.31.255.89]
5 128 ms 159 ms 134 ms ae4.man11.ip4.gtt.net [141.136.98.193]
6 130 ms 139 ms 129 ms xe-5-0-1.lon11.ip4.gtt.net [89.149.180.86]
7 139 ms 149 ms 129 ms as2914.lon10.ip4.gtt.net [141.136.96.182]
8 169 ms 169 ms 159 ms ae-7.r23.londen03.uk.bb.gin.ntt.net [129.250.6.5
4]
9 189 ms 189 ms 159 ms ae-3.r22.amstnl02.nl.bb.gin.ntt.net [129.250.5.1
98]
10 129 ms 139 ms 149 ms ae-0.r23.amstnl02.nl.bb.gin.ntt.net [129.250.4.1
26]
11 238 ms 330 ms 319 ms ae-6.r23.asbnva02.us.bb.gin.ntt.net [129.250.6.1
76]
12 318 ms 299 ms 279 ms ae-0.r22.asbnva02.us.bb.gin.ntt.net [129.250.3.8
4]
13 348 ms 409 ms 350 ms ae-2.r21.lsanca03.us.bb.gin.ntt.net [129.250.3.5
5]
14 348 ms 359 ms 389 ms ae-2.r05.lsanca03.us.bb.gin.ntt.net [129.250.5.8
6]
15 358 ms 389 ms 379 ms ae-0.internap.lsanca03.us.bb.gin.ntt.net [129.25
0.203.98]
16 358 ms 389 ms 379 ms riotgames-17.ext1.lax.pnap.net [216.52.241.254]

Trace complete.

Is this bad?

TheUndyingLord

Recruiter

01-21-2015

What a diplomatic answer.

Avoiding my main question "why does Riot only cater for european players" (Knowing full well that they are not the only ones on EUW. Is Riot only catering for european players because it is easier or because it is lazy. Riot has made servers for Brazil , Oceania and LAN. Yet they cannot even make a server FOR ONE OF THE BIGGEST CONTINENTS IN THE ENTIRE WORLD. Are they ignoring us or are they just being negligent. Millions of people play LOL yet Riot caters for everyone except Africa and players from countrys that are not "Major" (as in first world countries). I bet I will get another Diplomatic Answer , I can already predict it ("RIOT has no affiliations there", ISP's in Africa do not want to help etc.)Truth is their or threads about this and you don't answer these questions. Is RIOT afraid to tell the community that the only people your care about are the ones that originate from the country that produces the most money.

Can I please get a real answer to why you don't contact African ISP's or ANY OTHER ISP THAT IS NOT IN EUROPE. AS A BACKBONE. Cause we all know EUW is not just Europeans. Its other people too. Why RIOT SHOULD CARE ABOUT

King Kagi

Recruiter

01-21-2015

what if my ISP is based in EUNE and i play in EUW? how will this affect me?

Draqone

01-21-2015

Quote:
TheUndyingLord:
Can I please get a real answer to why you don't contact African ISP's or ANY OTHER ISP THAT IS NOT IN EUROPE. AS A BACKBONE. Cause we all know EUW is not just Europeans. Its other people too. Why RIOT SHOULD CARE ABOUT

I'll gladly answer your question.

Because there are not enough african players for servers to be viable. Africa is also the same timezone as EU so making new servers is pointless.

To answer your second question. Riot can only work with already existing infrastructure and the way the signal gets routed round. There is a million possible connection between Berlin and Paris so a lot of optimisation is possible. There's maybe 10 possible routes between Europe and Africa so there are nearly no optimisation options.