Snowballing minions tactic

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Techno Ivan

22-05-2011

You know those moments where teamfights begin, and everyone sticks together waiting for an opportunity to get some kills when.. you suddenly notice a huge pile of minions heading for your tower in some faraway lane. You come to your lane, kill all the minions and... again, they come back in huge numbers. Has any of you maybe wondered.. how can I make my own minions do this to the enemy?

After some little thinking it turns out it's quite simple.

When you head out to that deserted lane to stop the enemy minions.. instead of killing them all you should actually either just "cripple" them or kill them all and then cripple the next incoming wave.

By crippling, I mean killing just enough enemy minions so that you know that your minions will prevail. It's usually the best to cripple by killing ranged minions, since melee and cannon ones are sturdier - you want your minions to fight in the same spot for as long as possible (and win of course).

For ex when 3 melee and 3 ranged are fighting the same number of enemy ones, killing 1 or 2 ranged minions and leaving the lane is enough. What will happen is that eventually a new set of 6~7 minions will join forces and merge with the survivors, and then slowly advance towards the enemy base with greater and greater numbers.

If for instance your 6 minion squad had an encounter with a swarm of minions and 2 melee ones died, you can cripple the next incoming wave by killing all 3 enemy melee minions, or 2 melee 2 ranged, or if they have a cannon minion killing all but 1 melee and that cannon minion, and leaving the lane.

However, do not cripple enemy waves that are closer to the enemy base, since their reinforcements will arrive before yours and might actually push back. Try to do this as close to your own base as possible (the closer it is, the bigger snowball of minions you'll create), or in the very middle.

This little strategy can allow you to set up some nice ganks when one or two opponents decide to head out to protect their lane. Or simply do it, and put heavy pressure on some other lane and stall until your minions take the enemy tower by themselves, or engage if someone leaves to defend their other lane etc etc.

Now I'm wondering has anyone actually tried something like this, and do you think it's a valid tactic? Or is there some better way to control your minions

Stetto

22-05-2011

Although I like the idea, I've got to say, that there's one huge problem with this strategy.

If you just cripple the minions, you won't be farming them.
Whereas your opponents will get a huge pile of money delivered into their base.
You're loosing gold and giving the enemy more gold.

During late game, this might be a nice perk, but the minion waves will take too much time to build up.

I'd prefer classic split pushing to pressure my opponents, because it's faster.

PoniPoika

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Master Recruiter

22-05-2011

Well if you cripple them.. and have your team in it and someone from your team can handle defending the enemy. you can wait for the enemy to go get that "free farm" and nuke him down. but will mostlikely work only once in a game.

Kaling of Titans

22-05-2011

It works more often than you think. especially as it nears a tower.

aMogg

22-05-2011

Pushing mechanics. If you want to be good at this game, you need to know stuff like this.

+1

PewPewLazorz

AzKat69

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

29-05-2011

So thats how they were piling up :/ This just sux when all of your inhibitors are down and you have 2 turrets remaining. (holy **** creep spam cannot be stopped)