Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a tonne of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out Boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Riven /Rod of Ages / General Balance

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

OsiEver

12-16-2014

Hey guys what's up .
I hope you are fine
Today I have a very controversial topic for you.
As we might know with the new items /jungle buffs and creeps there are always some minor issues or bigger problems.
For me and lots of people I seriously asked in chatboards and the responds were that there is a big wave of unbalanced champions such as Riven, Akali (yes you heard me right) and Morgana. Also certain items such as Rod of the Ages and Frozen Mallet have been classed as "broken or overpowered" . But what makes the difference between champions that actually allow counter play and measures you have to take if the certain champion is having a huge advantage of gold /kills and if he's basically : fed and the fact you are not able to counter play champions and you just have to rely on your picks and mechanics or item builds and even then the chance you get a champion that fits to the "overpowered" champion" is very low and is basically not gonna happen unless you are playing ranked or draft picks etc . I will start now explaining why the champion may be considered as broken mechanics or overpowered kit.
Riven:
Riven is in my opinion ( As I said it's all my and other people's opinion and a very impartial view)
Riven is probably the champion in League Of Legends that could be marked broken. She has a great mobility a great way to take risk but still she stays safe (for example : e (to shield to get less damage and maybe even dodge stuns or stuff like that then follow with 3 q's plus one w and then you have an insane damage output and also a huge combo of mobility disables and safety). This is what the mechanics ALWAYS look like. Riven is in my opinion a nice idea but still full or major issues and balancing problems. She is just too much. Too much mobility. Too much burst. Too much safety and way too less opportunities to stand against the fact she is getting fed and that she is actually snowballing pretty damn hard.
Let me explain this a bit.( I will actually get more into Riven than any other champion / item)
Riven can if her combo is up which is actually on a very very low cooldown especially when you have items that fit with Riven such as Black Cleaver or even Spirit Visage that give you lots of cooldown reduction use her combo which isn't taking longer as 5 seconds and even then she can basically disable and shield and damage and bla bla bla you without letting you find a way to counter this. Of course there are characters like my beloved Wukong or Garen that are basically just saying " Nope" to Riven . BUT EVEN THEN she can just farm safely which is not very hard against a Garen for example and just crush every single squishy or off tank. Also is it fair and good if you can just win a lane if you pick the right champion? Shouldn't like everybody have the same opportunity to prove himself and win because he actually has the mechanics and should the level of power at level 1 be almost 0 in relation to other players?
Tell me guys what do you think about Riven or what strategy you have found to play against Riven (If there is any) And I will be heading to next champion in the next seconds . Stay tuned

OsiEver

12-16-2014

Akali
Akali is a very tricky champion.
While she is the champion that is squishy over the entire game unless you build armor / health she still can benefit from her mechanics that some sort of balance these lacks of safety AND that can also be used for offensive engaging ( such as her shroud). Her sustain is also very controversial because she has this early good spellvampire . For example I onced tried to just outfarm and outlevel Akali with a high range good wave clearing champion (like Syndra or Orianna ) with the hope i'd be level 6 before she gets into it. The results were clear I was level 6 and she level 4 but after that something strange happened. After she reaches level 6 she basically becomes toxic for any squishy mage or fighter. With her 3 times dash with also one of the biggest ranges of gap closers she is simply a raper. And if Akali is actually behind she just compensates this with her incredible sustain as I have mentiontioned it before.
Overall I can just say she is the champion with the biggest snowballing potential in the entire game .
So i would recommend to change her from a champion that can go all in and snowball stronger with each kill Riot should rework her ultimate into a very agile but still a fair ultimate where she cant just go into a 1v5 to engage a teamfight then taking out the squishy carry immediately and then even staying out of combat waiting for the assists to refill her ultimates charges (which by the way refill every 15 sec on level 3 + you get a charge for every assist and kill) and waiting in the shroud that even slows the enemies and gives you a permanent movement speed boost while you're in the shroud to then engage again with your spellvampire and cooldowns that are up again.If you know what I mean Akali players out there
This was the review of Akali

windslashyou

01-10-2015

black cleaver and spirit visage fits with riven? that was my first wtf. then it was that you think rod of ages frozen mallet akali and riven are op. riven gets shut down by cc. akali gets shut down by cc and pink wards. akali is not safe at all because in late the shroud is kinda useless. morgana i can agree a litle on. her cc denying shield and 3 sec root q is really good. but all the champs and items have bad things to them. if you for example let akali get free farm early when she's weak. and then stay in lane with low hp and let her get free kills. then you deserve to go vs an akali that instakills you (same with riven). but no matter how fed you are with akali or riven. they are not safe. sure riven has a shield with 1.5 sec duration that she can't even use if she's rooted/stunned/silenced etc. if the other team has a support that can play well that has some sort of cc (like thresh janna alistar blitscrank etc). then riven/akali will get insta cc'd and die before they even get to do anything about it.

next time you think a champion is op, try to see their weaknesses and use that against them. all it is.

have you seen a katarina/akali/riven in a recent tournament game? no? because pros actually use the weaknesses against those champions.

windslashyou

01-10-2015

also rod of ages takes a long time to stack up, so you need to get it early. not many champs that can do that and still get a meaningfull mid game (without getting really fed). frozen mallet, the only time i've ever build that is on graves because his passive makes him really tanky with hp. but what champs is it god on? it does not give any resistances so most tanks would not buy it. the low ad is really lackluster. and the slow can not be utilized by alot of champions (as much as it should be). i think the only champ i'd ever use it on is graves. because of his passive.

ButcherCareBear

01-12-2015

Riven is a bigger issue in 3v3 imo where you have less ways to shut her down and she does sick AoE damage. Also, the map is small so her mobility makes her very powerful too.
In 5v5, she still snowballs really hard despites Riot's attempts to prevent this. But otherwise, she's fine imo.
Except if she's fed HARD, you can still deal with her lategame. A good focus and she goes down.

Who ever builds Frozen Mallet in 2015? lol

Even RoA is bound to limited champ, mostly tanky AP ones. I don't see any problem with it. You sacrifice early game and gamble on mid/lategame with it.

NDG Neytoxic

01-13-2015

Quote:
OsiEver:
Hey guys what's up .
I hope you are fine
Today I have a very controversial topic for you.
As we might know with the new items /jungle buffs and creeps there are always some minor issues or bigger problems.
For me and lots of people I seriously asked in chatboards and the responds were that there is a big wave of unbalanced champions such as Riven, Akali (yes you heard me right) and Morgana. Also certain items such as Rod of the Ages and Frozen Mallet have been classed as "broken or overpowered" . But what makes the difference between champions that actually allow counter play and measures you have to take if the certain champion is having a huge advantage of gold /kills and if he's basically : fed and the fact you are not able to counter play champions and you just have to rely on your picks and mechanics or item builds and even then the chance you get a champion that fits to the "overpowered" champion" is very low and is basically not gonna happen unless you are playing ranked or draft picks etc . I will start now explaining why the champion may be considered as broken mechanics or overpowered kit.
Riven:
Riven is in my opinion ( As I said it's all my and other people's opinion and a very impartial view)
Riven is probably the champion in League Of Legends that could be marked broken. She has a great mobility a great way to take risk but still she stays safe (for example : e (to shield to get less damage and maybe even dodge stuns or stuff like that then follow with 3 q's plus one w and then you have an insane damage output and also a huge combo of mobility disables and safety). This is what the mechanics ALWAYS look like. Riven is in my opinion a nice idea but still full or major issues and balancing problems. She is just too much. Too much mobility. Too much burst. Too much safety and way too less opportunities to stand against the fact she is getting fed and that she is actually snowballing pretty damn hard.
Let me explain this a bit.( I will actually get more into Riven than any other champion / item)
Riven can if her combo is up which is actually on a very very low cooldown especially when you have items that fit with Riven such as Black Cleaver or even Spirit Visage that give you lots of cooldown reduction use her combo which isn't taking longer as 5 seconds and even then she can basically disable and shield and damage and bla bla bla you without letting you find a way to counter this. Of course there are characters like my beloved Wukong or Garen that are basically just saying " Nope" to Riven . BUT EVEN THEN she can just farm safely which is not very hard against a Garen for example and just crush every single squishy or off tank. Also is it fair and good if you can just win a lane if you pick the right champion? Shouldn't like everybody have the same opportunity to prove himself and win because he actually has the mechanics and should the level of power at level 1 be almost 0 in relation to other players?
Tell me guys what do you think about Riven or what strategy you have found to play against Riven (If there is any) And I will be heading to next champion in the next seconds . Stay tuned

Please im sick of people that think riven is broken, she has a **** early game, make use of that. get some tanky toplaners like renekton and you shut her down for early and midgame. and yes she has a good lategame. but lets nerf kata because the safety with cd reset inst balance either. learn to play against a champion. she is easly counter on top and mid. its a easy to play champ hard to master. If riven is pickt in ranked just go a tanky bruiser, and you allready won the lane. riven is **** this meta becuase of the tanky bruiser on top, trundle,renketon,pant, voli etc. So stop calling champions op. because every champ is op in a way. LB burst and safety same for kata. even trist lucian. syndra burst that can 100-0 a carry. if yasou is fed he can 1v4/5 elsewell if riven is fed she is dangers yes. then dont fed her allmost every champ is dangers when fed.

NDG Neytoxic

01-13-2015

Quote:
windslashyou:
black cleaver and spirit visage fits with riven? that was my first wtf. then it was that you think rod of ages frozen mallet akali and riven are op. riven gets shut down by cc. akali gets shut down by cc and pink wards. akali is not safe at all because in late the shroud is kinda useless. morgana i can agree a litle on. her cc denying shield and 3 sec root q is really good. but all the champs and items have bad things to them. if you for example let akali get free farm early when she's weak. and then stay in lane with low hp and let her get free kills. then you deserve to go vs an akali that instakills you (same with riven). but no matter how fed you are with akali or riven. they are not safe. sure riven has a shield with 1.5 sec duration that she can't even use if she's rooted/stunned/silenced etc. if the other team has a support that can play well that has some sort of cc (like thresh janna alistar blitscrank etc). then riven/akali will get insta cc'd and die before they even get to do anything about it.

next time you think a champion is op, try to see their weaknesses and use that against them. all it is.

have you seen a katarina/akali/riven in a recent tournament game? no? because pros actually use the weaknesses against those champions.

thank you, someone with brains <3

Eloyahu

01-17-2015

The main reason why people think Riven is OverPowered is because her mechanics allow for massive juking potential and then still having damage on the side. It's honestly funny that no one can control a riven.

For Akali I can see where you're coming from. In a normal there isn't much you can do. Apart from, y'know, buying some pink wards which is definitely a stupid idea (Note the sarcasm). As was mentioned before, Akali gets destroyed when she's not allowed to be mobile. So CC her, what's the problem?

How you even reference Morgana as OverPowered I honestly have no idea. All you have to do is learn to sidestep properly to dodge the Dark Binding; focus a target without the Black Shield on them and be wary of all-ins.

Why is Rod of Ages even in this article. Incase you didn't actually know, rod takes twenty minutes to stack fully. So why not abuse that fact? It can't stack while you're dead, so kill whoever has a Rod or plans on building one to delay their power spike.

Zed says that balance is weakness. When you think about it, having good strengths means obvious weaknesses, think about that next time.

Choas end

02-09-2015

Quote:
For Akali I can see where you're coming from. In a normal there isn't much you can do. Apart from, y'know, buying some pink wards which is definitely a stupid idea (Note the sarcasm). As was mentioned before, Akali gets destroyed when she's not allowed to be mobile. So CC her, what's the problem?

That advice is completely useless when it comes to laning phase, though. Because her mobility is in her ability to dash around the place like a jerk, she dashes in before you have an opportunity to cc her, and even then, a lot of mid champs don't have very good cc, such as Ziggs, Kass, Vel, etc. In regards with the pink wards, it works in theory, keep a few pink wards in your pocket and place them in key zones where a fight may occur, but when you're in lane, a pink ward is going to get destroyed very quickly, and placing it in the middle of a trade is dumb because when you have to spend 100 gold for every trade you want to survive you'll end up falling behind quite quickly.

Gambrill

02-12-2015

ziggs..... Knock-up/knock away and slows.
Kass...... Ult away, can use null shield to get Magic shield and has a slow
Vell...... Slows with Q and ult and knocks back with E. Not to mention deals tremendous damage while doing so due to his passive.
Ahri...... Charm and dashes to escape
Veigar.... has AOE stun
Liss...... can escape with one of her spells and even become immune to damage or cast it on akali with ult.
Katarina.. can avoid with her shunpo (not sure if it works on wards)
yasuo..... Wind wall her pokes and can knock her up, can also dash away for safety
Zed....... can twin shadows away and slow her
Heimerdinger can stun with E and use his ult to increase likelyhood of E hitting.
Morgana... can snare with Q, protect herself with E and slow / stun with ult.

Basically what im getting at is that there is a lot of CC that can be used IF you use it at the right time. and to moan about 100G for a kill is stupid. You deny her farm because she's dead (if you killed her) while earning gold from her death and you get to CS in relative safety

I don't play akali. But she isn't broken or OP, You just need to handle her in a different way you've been trying before.

EDIT: And if buying a pink is too disasterous for you, An upgraded sweeper will do the same job