AD runes > Arp runes?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Morimacil

15-05-2011

In the early levels, AD provides a much bigger increase in damage than Arp does.
Flat runes also provide a much bigger boost than the /lvl runes early on, nearly 10 times as much at level 1 for example.
I see many guides and strategies that involve arp runes, and /lvl runes, and so on, and I wonder, is it really the best option?

Getting the flat runes, and for example AD runes instead of Arp runes, you would have a much easier time in the early game. Batter harassment, better in a straight up fight, easier to zone your opponents out, easier to last hit, and so on.

So really, why do so many people use runes that scale, and only become better later on?
If you instead get runes that help you out at the early levels, and can zone your opponents/kill them, then you will have a much much bigger advantage around lvl 10, when the /lvl runes scale, and the arp runes start to become more effective.

For example, 9 mr/lvl runes provide less mr at level 18 than you would get by buying a single null magic mantle.
If you replaced those runes with something like 9 ability power, or 6% CDR, that would be a whole lot more useful.
And if for example they allow you to get an early kill, thats a much bigger advantage than getting a null magic mantle. With the gold, you can buy a mantle, but on top of that, you also set your opponent back.
If you can prevent yourself from dying, prevent yourself from getting zoned out, zone someone out, or kill someone thxs to a different set of runes, that gets you a much much bigger advantage that what you would get by using the scaling runes.

I mean, just imagine 2 of the same characters going mid. For example, 2 ashe meet up mid.
one of them has arp marks, mana/lvl seals, CDR/lvl glyphs, while the other has it all AD. Both have Arp quints.
So they will both be dealing true dmg to each other.
Both take doran's blade as a first item.
At level 1, the one ashe will deal 59 dmg per autoattack, and 50 dmg per volley.
the other 74 dmg per attack, and 65 dmg per volley.

Whos going to win the lane, assuming equal skill? Who is more likely to outzone the other, and/or get a kill?
Almost certainly, the ashe with the AD will win the lane, zone out the other, get extra gold and XP, and end up with way higher damage at level 10 when the runes catch up in effectiveness for the guy who went with the /lvl runes.

Drazla

15-05-2011

Just a note, in your example your saying that while one ashe uses arp marks and quints, and that the other ashe only uses arp quints that they will both be dealing true damage to eachother. As Ashe start at 12 armor and get 4 per level if I remeber it correctly - then they do not both deal true damage and the Ashe with AD runes will have alot more armor to work through as they start harassing more and more as they level.

The Ashe with AD runes will be more efficient at level 1, yes, but she will have to deal with armor on the other hero. The Ashe with Arp runes wont have that problem, but will on the same time not have the extra AD.

Only math will show you the right choice and when they pass eachother.

Maybe my post is screwed up somewhere but Im a lil tierd so I will excuse myself.

Morimacil

15-05-2011

Well the math has already been done.
In the case of AD vs Arp, the AD is most efficient early on, Arp becomes more efficient later on.
In the case of the /lvl runes, well you dont need to be great at math to see that the flat ones are more efficient early on, and the /lvl ones are better at lvl 18.

My point is though, why do people go for the runes that will be better later on instead of the ones that are better in the early game?
Snowballing is a very real thing in LOL. Having a great early game is the best way to set yourself up for having a great midgame, and having a great midgame is the best way to have a great lategame.
Having an advantage most often means that later on, you will have an even bigger advantage.
So why not start getting the biggest advantage you can from level 1?

Aerl

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

15-05-2011

I think that's because guides are usually made by good players who don't die early in game.
Farming as much as possible while waiting for an opportunity to harass an enemy without being harassed them selves.

So runes that should have guaranteed you a kill early in-game become less useful the longer the game lasts.

Besides that, you can leach experience, and the gold you lost you can get by getting assists or landing killing blows if you
help to gank, or killing minions in other places, etc.

Generally, if I feel I'm of no use at team fights, I farm minions and b.door when there is an opportunity , providing myself and my team with gold if I'm able to destroy a turret.

Morimacil

15-05-2011

Quote:
I think that's because guides are usually made by good players who don't die early in game.
Farming as much as possible while waiting for an opportunity to harass an enemy without being harassed them selves.
Well no matter how you put it though, having more damage in the early game will help you out in the early game..
Your harass is more effective, and so zoning is also more effective.
You can get more last hits, while denying your opponent more last hits, if they dont want to come into range of you and risk getting harassed by your high damage.
You dont really need many last hits more than your opponents to make up for the gold's worth of runes.

ShakeNBakeUK

15-05-2011

if you dont get any kills early game, you will get wtfpwnd late game.

Aerl

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

15-05-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morimacil View Post
Well no matter how you put it though, having more damage in the early game will help you out in the early game..
Your harass is more effective, and so zoning is also more effective.
You can get more last hits, while denying your opponent more last hits, if they dont want to come into range of you and risk getting harassed by your high damage.
You dont really need many last hits more than your opponents to make up for the gold's worth of runes.
I agree that denying exp/gold is a great advantage , but it is also possible to snag last hits from your own turret, and farm jungle creaps
while you're un capable of staying in lane, thus making enemy team paranoid when they don't see you.
Another thing is, while denying your enemy you also endanger your self of being ganked constantly, by a jungler or mid, or both.

You also can't forget items like HoG, PS, AB 5G per 10s. and Drake/Baron. (also runes).
And exp. advantage is very quickly lost if you stay with your teammates for too long, while your enemies are scattered across the map, farming in safe places.

So the only advantage you get is, exp, gold against your lane opponents. mid-late game is based on good team fights, what involves good positioning, map awareness and cc.

But if all "LoL" players were PGM's this wouldn't be "LOL" would it. ;D

Lepotec

15-05-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morimacil View Post
My point is though, why do people go for the runes that will be better later on instead of the ones that are better in the early game?
I think it has mainly to do with how most players are more concerned by increasing their own power than with keeping the enemy's power down.

DiggyDwarf

15-05-2011

Quote:
if you dont get any kills early game, you will get wtfpwnd late game.
Not true.

Simply, if kills go 0-0 you will not get wtfpwnd if(when) you farm better.

Raventhrone

15-05-2011

The problem with AD vs ArP is that the more AD you have, the lower the impact of additional AD, while for ArP, the more you have the higher it's impact. It's not just about late game and early game!