[Instructions] How to change the summoner spell hotkeys

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Naeleen

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-05-2011

Hello summoners,

I thought of posting a guide on how to manually add secondary hotkeys for your summoner spells (default: D, F keys) to use them for your convenience. The in-game window for that matter has been bugged forever and none bothered fixing it; it doesn't allow you to add secondary keys for summoner spells at all.

I'm pretty sure that many of you often screamed in frustration for mistakenly pressing F instead of D (or D instead of F), and accidentally used e.g. Clarity instead of Ghost, Ghost instead of Flash, Flash instead of Ignite, and so on.

Now, imagine if you had a secondary key to trigger those summoner spells. No mistake could be made, ever! Especially if you assigned those spells to easily accessible keys, like ` , middle mouse button, Space, any other extra mouse buttons if you have one with more than the 3 standard ones, etc..

IMPORTANT: Before attempting to modify any file make a backup of it first, just in case something goes wrong. If for any reason you believe you damaged the hotkey settings file, log in the game and choose to revert back to the default hotkeys. Also, it never hurts to make sure that the keys you want to assign to your summoner spells are NOT already in use for another function. You MUST enter a practice game and check if your desired keys are NOT in use, because the input.ini file will not warn you about this.

So, how to:

1) Go to your game installation folder.
2) Navigate to this folder path: \RADS\solutions\lol_game_client_sln\releases\0.0.0 .41\deploy\DATA\CFG\
3) Open the input.ini file with notepad.
4) It should say [GameEvents] on the first line, and if you had previously changed any hotkeys they should be listed below this line. Important: Do NOT delete any line in this file or you will simply lose your custom hotkeys. We are only adding new lines here, not removing any existing ones.
5) To add a secondary key for your first summoner spell (D), add the following line at the bottom of this file:

evtCastAvatarSpell1=[d],[Your desired hotkey]

Do not remove the [ ] characters, or it won't work. Also, do not delete the [d] part, otherwise you will be changing the hotkey and not adding a secondary one.

For the regular character keys (a-z, 0-9, common symbols), you just type the key you like in there. For mouse buttons, you must consult the manual of your mouse; for a common 3-button mouse, the middle button is recognized by typing either [MB3] or [Button 3]. I haven't tested how Space key works, but you may experiment anyway and type ahead [Space] :P.

6) To add a secondary key for your second summoner spell (F), add the following line at the bottom of this file:

evtCastAvatarSpell2=[f],[Your desired hotkey]

Again, do not remove the [ ] characters, or it won't work. Also, do not delete the [f] part, otherwise you will be changing the hotkey and not adding a secondary one.

Here's an example of how the input.ini file should look like in the end:
[GameEvents]
evtCastAvatarSpell1=[d],[`]
evtCastAvatarSpell2=[f],[Button 3]

In this example, I chose to press the ` key (it's usually on the left of key 1 on the keyboard) to activate my first summoner spell, and the middle mouse button to activate the second summoner spell. You can assign any keys you want anyway.

I hope this helps

ShakeNBakeUK

08-05-2011

erm, you can easily rebind the hotkeys for your summoner spells in the in-game keybinding options...?

i've had mine on custom keys for months.

Apocalypse

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-05-2011

>:3

You can simply change your keys, I really can't understand why do you need secondaries ^^

Naeleen

08-05-2011

No. Read again. "The in-game window for that matter has been bugged forever and none bothered fixing it; it doesn't allow you to add secondary keys for summoner spells at all.". You can change all the keys BUT the summoner spells.

SealerRT

08-05-2011

Please add the following line to your guide:

IMPORTANT : Before modifying any of your game files, make a copy of the original file and put it in another folder.

just sayin' ...

Naeleen

08-05-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hephaistos0 View Post
Please add the following line to your guide:

IMPORTANT : Before modifying any of your game files, make a copy of the original file and put it in another folder.

just sayin' ...
Done. Although nothing can actually go wrong, since we're just adding lines there. Thanks for the hint though

SealerRT

08-05-2011

You're welcome. I think it would be better to ask Riot to actually fix this, but if this works then I don't mind.

Naeleen

08-05-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hephaistos0 View Post
You're welcome. I think it would be better to ask Riot to actually fix this, but if this works then I don't mind.
Nah, they don't really bother fixing the critical bugs. Two examples:

1) Pantheon's ultimate was (perhaps it still is) invisible on low-end systems. The circle notifying that Pantheon will land "there" was not showing. I got a new computer and it's visible now, not sure if they fixed the bug for older computers. But I'm sure there are many players out there who don't have particularly strong computers.

2) The Flash Red when damaged option is STILL bugged, for over a year already! Whether you have it enabled or disabled, your screen will still stupidly flash red if you are attacked. A feature which is only partially useful since 99% of the time you have your screen centered on your own champion. Getting this annoying red flashes in team fights only leads you to losing focus and eventually fail and die.

TibblesEvilCat

12-07-2014

i cant seem to find this file location ?

i know im necroing a old thread, im trying to edit some hotkeys that not possible ingame.