The Wrenchmen's Toolbox - Common Fixes

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Elduris

Wrenchman

06-08-2014

Name:  title.jpg
Views: 9002
Size:  58.0 KB
Last updated: 5 Aug. 2014

Here's a list of common problems and questions as well as a few ideas on how to solve these issues. Please check here for a solution first.

If you'd like to search directly for your issue, start with the knowledge base.

If you don't see your issue, or the solutions here don't work, feel free to post in the forums. Helpful and well-tooled Wrenchmen, fellow players, and occasional Riot Support Staff will be around to help when they can. Make sure to attach any relevant files to your post by clicking on the paper clip icon in your reply.

All issues are sorted in order of their possible occurrence from before you get in to after you're done playing. Please note, whenever you test out a fix, you should always join a practice game, to avoid being flagged by LeaverBuster.

Remember this is all to help you help yourself, if you'd like additional support from Riot Staff, please open a support ticket. Unless otherwise specified, all fixes here assume you're using a Windows operating system.

Name:  contents.jpg
Views: 8945
Size:  40.7 KB

Protip: Click the button to be taken to the appropriate post!

Name:  tablecontent1.jpg
Views: 8955
Size:  27.7 KB

• For help with installation and getting started

Name:  tablecontent2.jpg
Views: 8911
Size:  25.0 KB
  • Troubleshooting the launcher and help with patching

Name:  tablecontent3.jpg
Views: 8830
Size:  25.2 KB
  • Need help logging in? Lose access to your account?

Name:  tablecontent4.jpg
Views: 8831
Size:  24.4 KB
  • For issues with purchases and other store-related problems

Name:  tablecontent5.jpg
Views: 8620
Size:  26.6 KB
  • Crashing after Champion select, trouble getting into a match, and common ranked queue questions

Name:  tablecontent6.jpg
Views: 8539
Size:  24.7 KB
  • Graphical errors, low frames per second (FPS), and keybinding questions

Name:  tablecontent7.jpg
Views: 8487
Size:  26.2 KB
  • Lag, disconnects, and "iceskating" characters

Name:  tablecontent8.jpg
Views: 8333
Size:  25.1 KB
  • Bugsplat errors, questions about LeaverBuster, reporting players, and other issues

Elduris

Wrenchman

06-08-2014

Name:  setup.jpg
Views: 8195
Size:  54.3 KB

Where do I download this game?

What are Minimum System Requirements?
I'm new, now what?
I accidentally made my account on the wrong server!
  • It is possible to move your account by purchasing a server transfer in the PVP.net store. However, if you recently made an account, it will be easier (and cheaper!) to just create a new account on the correct server.

Elduris

Wrenchman

06-08-2014

Name:  launcher.jpg
Views: 8112
Size:  40.4 KB

Basic Launcher Troubleshooting

Server Status: Unavailable/Busy
  • The servers are actually down, check Service Status page, there's usually an announcement.
  • You may need to enable Scripting.
  • Restart your computer
  • Your Internet Explorer may be in offline mode. If so, change it.
  • If you're set to use a proxy server, turn it off:
    • Internet Options -> Connection -> Lan Settings -> Auto Detect
  • Turn off Certificates in Internet Explorer:
    • IE Options > Advanced > Restore Advanced Settings
    • IE Options > Advanced > Uncheck "Check for server certificate authentication"
    • After successfully logging in, revert your certificate settings back to default to avoid any unnecessary security vulnerability.
  • Run through the Troubleshooting Connection Issues guide in the knowledge base.
  • Try powercycling (restarting) your modem.
  • Reset your internet security settings:
    • Internet Options->Advanced->Reset Button
  • Make sure your computer's clock is synced (Windows) ( Mac)
  • Try this Fix from Microsoft
  • Uninstall Pando Media Booster

Launcher closes without warning / does not open when clicked
  • Try running as an admin by right clicking on the icon and selecting "Run As" and "Administrator"
  • Make sure your Windows Settings are set properly.
  • If you recently did a system restore, had a virus or did a Windows reinstall, you may want to try Reinstalling League of Legends.
  • Run through the RADS Fix in this video
  • Try changing your screen resolution to 1024x768 (Windows) (Mac)

Error message: "Unable to connect to the network"
  • The game needs to be installed in a subdirectory in order to work properly
  • You might have been logged in during downtime, try again in a bit

I get a RADS error / Could not to connect to HTTP server / PvP.Net Patcher Kernel stopped working
  • Close out your game/patcher, hit ctrl+shift+esc and make sure all instances of LoL.Launcher and League of Legends are gone, then restart the patcher process and let it sit.
  • Go to your Riot Games/RADS/System folder under your default install path, right click and run the rads_user_kernel.exe file and run as Admin.
  • Try deleting your LoL_Air_Client folder (the default install path for this folder is c:\Riot Games\RADS\Projects) and then repatching.
  • See this article, about changing to a public DNS (Windows) (Mac)
  • Hit the Windows button and in the search bar type "cmd" and hit "OK". In the new window, type
    • netsh winsock reset
    • then hit enter and restart your computer.
  • Replace <install directory>/RADS/system/rads_user_kernel.exe, with this file
  • Try installing Microsoft Dot NET Framework 4.0 and Dot NET 3.5
  • Try running through the RADS solution in this video

The launcher stops downloading
  • Let the launcher run for up to 15 minutes
  • Restart the launcher
  • Powercycle (restart) your modem and/or router
  • Make sure that lol.launcher.exe is listed as an exception in your firewall
  • Temporarily disable firewall and anti-virus software.
  • Click on the two gears in the upper right of the launcher window and try the repair option.
  • Turn off Peer to Peer Transfer in your launcher options
  • Did you visit the Internet Connection Troubleshooting Article in the knowledge base?
  • Try reinstalling League of Legends

The launcher has experienced an error?
I get "the application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect"
I get, "Client Version 1.##.## is rejected by the server"
  • Close any instances of PVP.net or the LoL launcher and restart your patcher. Allow it to complete.
  • After the patch process finishes, hit the button with 2 gears in the upper right corner of your patcher and complete the repair process.
  • If you are able to login, you may also want to try starting a custom game to see if you're still getting the version rejected error.
  • If that did not work, close your launcher and Delete lol_air_client and lol_launcher from ...\Riot Games\League of Legends\RADS\projects
  • Make sure you have the most current Windows Updates
  • Try running the game as an administrator
    • Right click on the executable and select "Run As" "Administrator"

The Patcher crashes my computer
  • Reinstall your Video Card and Network Drivers
  • You may have bad memory/need to downclock your RAM, check your memory with MemTest
  • If you are getting a Blue Screen of Death please post a thread in Help & Support with a zipped copy of your .dmp crash log (...\Windows\Minidump)

I can't click the Play button / nothing happens after I click the play button
  • Your Active Scripting may be disabled. Go to
    • Internet Options -> Security -> Active scripting (near the bottom) -> Enable -> OK.
    • Restart the launcher.
  • Go to your projects folder (...\Riot Games\League of Legends\RADS\projects) and delete the lol_air_client and lol_launcher folders, then restart your patcher.
  • Try turning off UAC in Windows 7/Vista (NOTE: does not apply to XP)

None of that worked, my internet is teh pwned

Elduris

Wrenchman

06-08-2014

Name:  login.jpg
Views: 8101
Size:  50.1 KB

Connection Failure: Unable to connect to PVP.net

• Try syncing your clock. Double check the time, date, and year. (Windows) (Mac)
  • Make sure your Windows Updates are installed and up to date.
  • Make sure you have forwarded your required network ports.
  • Make sure you’ve updated your firewall (Windows) (Mac)
    • including this .exe: ...\Riot Games\League of Legends\RADS\projects\lol_air_client\releases\0.0. 0.68\deploy\LolClient.exe
    • and this website: beta.lol.riotgames.com
  • Check out the Troubleshooting Connection Issues article in the knowledge base.
  • Follow the other 11 network troubleshooting steps above

Invalid Username / Password
  • Try again
  • Try again, again
  • Did you make a new account yet?
  • Try recovering your username / password.
  • Make sure you're on the correct server (NA vs EUW, etc.)
  • Servers may be down, try again later, (or try again, again, again, but later)

Maestro Error
  • Restart your computer
  • Temporarily disable/make exceptions in your anti-virus software.
  • Temporarily disable/make exceptions in your firewall. (Windows) (Mac)
  • Disable process protection software.
  • Make sure you're running software as an Administrator
  • In Windows Vista/Windows 7, double check your User Account Controls
  • Reset your Internet Explorer settings and make sure you have not disabled scripting options
  • Try changing to a public DNS (Windows) (Mac)

Why was my name changed / how can I get my name changed?
  • Your name was reported and Riot agreed it was offensive.
  • If Riot changed your name or you accidentally put your real name as your summoner name, please open a ticket here and they should be able to accommodate you.
  • If you would like to change your name for any reason, name changes are available in the PVP.net store.

Can I transfer characters / my account?
  • Account transfers are available in the PVP.net store for purchase with Riot Points.
  • It is impossible to transfer ANYTHING between separate accounts. This includes, purchased unlocks, special skins, etc. Please be sure you upgrade accounts only when you are sure you wish to play on that account.

How do I change the game default language?
I get a certificate error
  • Your computer's clock may not be listing the correct date, make sure you sync your clock to the actual date.
    (Windows) (Mac)
  • Turn off Certificates in IE:
    • IE Options > Advanced > Restore Advanced Settings, IE Options > Advanced > Uncheck "Check for server certificate authentication"
  • Update your Internet Explorer, or if you have a more updated version of Internet Explorer you may have to uncheck these settings instead:
    • "Check for server certificate revocation"
    • "Check for publisher's certificate revocation"
    • "Warn about certificate address mismatch"

Someone hacked my account, help!

Elduris

Wrenchman

06-08-2014

Name:  store.jpg
Views: 8039
Size:  45.6 KB

Nothing shows up when I go into the store / I get a black screen

• Restart your client
  • Check to make sure you have cookies enabled in your Internet Settings.
  • You need to have TLS 1.0 & SSL 3.0 enabled
    • Control Panel -> Internet Options -> Advanced tab, all the way at the bottom
  • Reset your IE/Safari settings to default. (IE) (Safari)
  • Make sure you're not set to Work Offline mode in IE.
  • Update your Internet Explorer.

The Lobby/Store does not display properly/at all
  • Reset your IE/Safari settings to default. (IE) (Safari)

It says my store session has expired/I get the Commando Galio death-stare
I bought something from the store but it failed/errored/double charged
  • Open a ticket with player support for any issues related to real money. Make sure to include your name, your account name, when & what you bought and how you bought it.
  • If you tried to purchase with a credit card, see this knowledge base article.

I bought a champion and I don't have them!
  • There is a visual bug where after you purchase a character they may still appear grayed out even if they are selectable. When you go into champion select, make sure your filter is clear and try clicking on the picture.
  • Sometimes the system also takes a little while to update. Try logging out and coming back in to see if the champion becomes available.
  • Please check the Store FAQ on store issues.
  • If you've waited a while and for sure can't select the champion, please open a ticket

My Prepaid Credit/Debit Card did not work for my purchase
I can't purchase anything with Paypal
I want to install a custom skin but am afraid
  • Be afraid, modifying game files can cause your patcher to freeze.

I would like a refund

Elduris

Wrenchman

06-08-2014

Name:  matchmaking.jpg
Views: 8018
Size:  50.9 KB

Before I enter a match, everything goes black/game doesn't start

• Your graphics card might not support Shader 2.0. If it doesn't, you'll be unable to play League of Legends.
  • Make sure your computer meets the Minimum System Requirements.
  • Make sure your display settings are set properly.
  • If you can't get in, you can also change your resolution out of game by navigating to the following location of your League of Legends installation:
    • Local Disk --> Riot Games --> League of Legends --> Config
      • Once here, you will find a file labeled 'game.cfg'
      • When you open this file, under the [General] section will be:
        • Height: XXXX and Width: XXXX.
      • This works exactly the same as your resolution settings on windows and can be changed to the values you specify.
  • Check the Bug Splat and Game Crashes article in the knowledge base

After Champion Select, the game crashes
  • Did you copy someone else's install? You need to reinstall the game.
  • Are you using a custom skin, or another third party program like LoL Recorder? Try disabling those before starting a game.
  • Double check your firewall, ports and anti-virus settings with the tips listed above.
  • Use this link to update your DirectX install.
  • Did you recently use System Restore? You probably need to reinstall.

I get an "Out of Range Error" when starting a match
I get a Shader Model 2.0 or Direct3D Error
Queue Is Taking Forever
  • Let it sit for at least 5 minutes, more if you're Diamond or Challenger rank.
  • Try restarting the Queue
  • Server may be doing an update or having issues, try playing a practice game. Title said game "Queue Hurts My Wookie"

Why am I getting 0-5 LP for a win? / Why am I losing more LP for a loss?
  • This is known as clamping, and occurs when you're up for a Tier promotion but your Matchmaking Rating (MMR) is far lower than expected. You can read a bit more about how and why this happens in the 2014 Season FAQ.

I won a game but lost LP / I lost a game but still gained LP
  • This is a visual display bug that can occur when the LP system is delayed. You did not actually lose LP for a game you won, it's just showing a previous update, and you will still get your points as normal.

Elduris

Wrenchman

06-08-2014

Name:  fps.jpg
Views: 7874
Size:  45.8 KB

Graphics Troubleshooting

Players jump around/go fast
  • In your in-game settings, switch Movement Prediction to "off"
  • If the above didn't work, it's likely a connection issue. See this post.

I can't see the ground/champs / Fog of War covers everything / I get artifacts/flickering on the terrain
  • Make sure that your graphics drivers are Completely Up to Date
  • For Mac (Apple) users – Make sure you have no Razer programs (like Razer Synapse) running in the background, if you do, disable them.
  • For PC (Windows) users – Make sure that the Debug version of your DirectX is deactivated
  • ATI(AMD) and nVidia control panel settings may be overriding your graphics. Try making sure all 3d settings in those programs are set to "Application Controlled" and turn off any V-Sync settings.

I'm a left hander / How do I use the keypad?
  • You can add these to [GameEvents] (create it if it doesn't exist) in the input.ini file (default location, C:\Riot Games\League of Legends\config)
    • evtScrollUp = [Num8]
    • evtScrollDown =[Num2]
    • evtScrollLeft = [Num4]
    • evtScrollRight = [Num6]
  • IMPORTANT: Make sure not to modify the input.ini file under "default" as that will break patching. Modify the one in:
    • League of Legends\RADS\solutions\lol_game_client_sln\release s\0.0.0.###\deploy\DATA\CFG
    • and add one if it doesn't exist. You can use the one under defaults as a guide.

I can't get into the game to change my graphics settings.
I have bad FPS in game
The mouse pointer / menus are slow
  • You have an integrated graphics card which doesn't run as well.
  • Turn off any running anti-virus scan or other program using lots of resources.

Elduris

Wrenchman

06-08-2014

Name:  lag.jpg
Views: 7851
Size:  46.5 KB

I lag in game

• Stop any active downloads or streaming services. These tend to use a lot of bandwidth.
  • Powercycle (restart) your modem and router.
  • Try plugging directly into your modem if you use a wireless router.
  • Disable Peer-to-Peer transfers in the patcher (gears icon top right, save settings, restart PC)
    • Control Panel -> Add/Remove Programs
  • Reinstall your network card drivers.
  • Check with your ISP about outages or blocking.
  • Try some of the steps listed in this knowledge base article.

I always get disconnected in the middle of the game
  • Navigate to C:\Riot Games\League of Legends\RADS\solutions\lol_game_client_sln\release s\0.0.0.xxx\deploy(This is the default directory) and look for League of Legends.exe - take this icon and place it on your desktop and rename it to "Quick Reconnect" to rapidly launch the game again without patching, if you get disconnected.
  • Check to see if you can still get online somewhere else.
  • Check your router settings or try plugging directly into your modem.
  • If you are still experiencing issues, try running through the steps listed in this knowledge base article.

I'm still connected, but I can no longer move or do anything
  • Disconnect and reconnect to the game. You may have to shut down the client

I got disconnected and have Game Still In Progress, but can't reconnect
  • Wait 20-30 seconds and try again
  • The server may have crashed in which case everything’s going to be borked for a little bit. Come back in an hour and try again.

I see myself stop moving, then people jump around and move really quickly like the game is catching up.
  • This is most often a connectivity issue. Make sure to follow the steps in this knowledge base article. You may also need to contact your ISP for assistance.

Elduris

Wrenchman

06-08-2014

Name:  postgame.jpg
Views: 7792
Size:  48.1 KB

I got a BugSplat Error

• BugSplat is Riot's critical and compatibility error reporting tool. It's used to identify game conflicts with your specific system. Unfortunately, this means that these issues happen on a case-by-case basis and it's hard to offer a fix on the forums.
  • Some basic things to try include taking a look at this article in the knowledge base, updating your DirectX, Video Card Drivers, Microsoft Dot NET Frameworks, Windows Updates, Reinstalling LoL
  • As mentioned, because these issues are system specific they are difficult to address on the forums. If you need additional help please make sure you submit your BugSplat report, follow up with a Ticket to Riot Support and include your DxDiag report.

I have a leave, but it wasn't on purpose
  • LeaverBuster was always intended to flag disconnects for any reason. Even if you didn't rage quit, you still get a leave.
  • Unfortunately it is not possible to remove leaver marks from individual player accounts, even if you acquired a leaver mark due to circumstances beyond your control (including disconnections, game crashes, etc.)
  • You normally won't be suspended for just one leave, but if you're having connection problems, please try to take care of those before joining another game.
  • Visit the LeaverBuster FAQ for further questions.

How to I report/ignore another player?
  • The best way to submit a report about another player is to use the post-game lobby and click on the report icon next to their name.
  • If you miss a chance to report a player or want to report someone outside of a game, please submit a ticket to player support.
  • To ignore another player type "/ignore PLAYERNAME" in chat, or hold tab and click on the text box icon by their name. Please note that this will not prevent you from being matched with this player in the future.

I was banned. What do I do?
  • There are several types of bans ranging from temporary suspensions to permanent account bans, you should automatically receive an e-mail with ban information and terms if this occurs.
  • If you want to find out more or feel you have been unjustly banned, please open a ticket with player support.

-- Post Game Issues & Other Issues--

I didn't get any IP from the game I played
  • Were you playing a practice (custom) game? After too many custom games in a short period will greatly reduce or eliminate IP or XP from those game types.
  • Open a ticket with your account name, when you played and what happened.

My game crashes after I finish a match / It says I'm still in game
  • This is known as a ghost game. Please give the server up to 20 minutes to re-sync your account.
  • You may need more system resources. Make sure your system meets the system requirements.
  • Avoid clicking the "skip waiting for stats" button, or give the server time to synchronize

How Do I Report a Bug?
-- Additional reading --

Terms of Service / EULA
Knowledge Base Articles

Riot Boompje

EU Associate Product Manager

Follow Riot Boompje on Twitter

08-08-2014
1 of 1 Riot Posts

Adding a Red Post of approval!

The Wrenchmen are awesome!