Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a tonne of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out Boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Thoughts on the new Grez's Spectral Lantern

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Ki Nala Atum

07-16-2014

So Grez's Spectral Lantern has been remade:

RECIPE Madred's Razors + Long Sword + Dagger + 180 gold (total cost: 1765 gold)
ATTACK DAMAGE +15
ATTACK SPEED +30%
UNIQUE PASSIVE Now has UNIQUE passive Maim: Basic attacks against monsters deal 50 bonus magic damage and restore 8 health
UNIQUE PASSIVE Owner now gains +30% increased gold from monsters
UNIQUE PASSIVE Now has UNIQUE passive Trap Detection: Nearby stealthed enemy traps are revealed
UNIQUE ACTIVE Now has UNIQUE active Trap Detection: Covers a target area in a stealth-detecting mist that grants vision for 5 seconds and reveals enemies that enter it for 3 seconds (60 second cooldown)

It now functions as a jungling item, while still keeping the traps and the "puff" reveal. However I don't think this item is good as it is.

Its pros:
- You can now start with Madred's Razor + 1 pot
- Provides faster and sustained clear with the on hit effects
- Is a jungling item best suited for auto attack reliant champions. This is good because those champions didn't have an item for their needs and now they do.
- It's a source of gold income, with the 30% gold increase from monsters
- Cheap item
- Reveals traps and enemies in an area

Cons:

- While being cheap, this item doesn't offer strong stats, making it weaker as the game progresses.
- Doesn't give any useful stats outside of the jungle (not considering the Ad and As)

This last is the biggest reason why I don't think the item is good. The Spirit line items give stats that work for outside the jungle. Ap from Spectral Wraith, Ad and true damage burn from Elder Lizard, Hp, armor and the same reveal from Ancient Golem and Cooldown reduction from all of them. Meanwhile, Grez's only has a on hit magic damage against monters ONLY. The old Lightbringer (which evolved from Grez) gave a chance for on hit magic damage vs anything. Feral Flare, the 5v5 counterpart, also gives on hit magic damage. Grez's has nothing! So is it worth it to buy this item? I think that the Spirit line items are overall better than this new lantern.

My suggestion? Maybe making it like a mix of Spectral Wraith and Feral Flare: when you kill large monsters you gain magic damage on hit, but limited to a cap, just like Spectral Wraith. And also the tooltip should list the amount of bonus gold I'm getting with the item.