Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a tonne of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out Boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Sylian's Top Lane Tier List

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Sylian

Recruiter

07-31-2014

Comments on the recent tier changes:

Alistar moved up to tier 1 from tier 2: He got buffed, so he's a lot stronger early now. He was already pretty strong before the patch, but now he'll be really hard to kill once he uses his ultimate. Furthermore, Ardent Censer got a buff, and it's a pretty good item on him.

Anivia moved up to tier 3 from tier 4: BFT being nerfed makes it easier for her to compete as a burst mage, and she was already pretty decent with good burst and good utility from the walls.

AP Sion added to tier 3 (AD Sion remains in tier 4): I think I've underestimated him, he's somewhat decent, although he has some flaws.

AP Warwick removed from the list from tier 2: The Blackfire Torch nerf makes Blackfire Torch not worth it on him, so calling it "AP" Warwick is misleading.

Ashe moved up to tier 3 from tier 4: AD caster Ashe is actually pretty decent. She provides decently good damage, good kiting, vision from her E, and a global-range skillshot stun.

Blitzcrank moved up to tier 2 from tier 3: BFT being nerfed and Fizz being nerfed makes life easier for Blitzcrank, who has a pretty nice kit and is a pretty solid champion.

Elise moved down to tier 2 from tier 1: The E nerfs hurt her, and she was fairly low in tier 1 to begin with.

Kayle moved down to tier 3 from tier 2: Her E used to have a 0.4 AP ratio, it's now 0.25. This hurt her late game damage quite a bit and made her less scary. BFT being nerfed and Fizz being nerfed nerfed a lot of high burst champions, and one of Kayle's niches were anti-burst. She won't benefit from champions building tankier and more sustained damage.

Kennen moved up to tier 3 from tier 4: I feel that tier 4 might be a little low for him. Kennen isn't that strong, but decent enough to take a low tier 3 spot.

Lee Sin moved down to tier 3 from tier 2: His W shield just lasts for 2 seconds instead of 4 seconds, but the biggest issue is him losing the attack speed slow on his E. This makes it a lot harder for him to deal with other AD champions, and he becomes a lot less appealing as a pick. I will admit that it's possible that he's still tier 2 worthy, but the nerf is really significant for Dominion and tier 3 seems to be more fitting for him.

Lulu moved down to tier 3 from tier 2: She lost her AP slow scaling on Q, and her W mobility was nerfed early on. This means that she's losing out of a lot of map mobility if she maxes W second, and if she maxes W first, she'll lose out of damage and slows.

Malzahar moved up to tier 2 from tier 4: This is mainly due to him being underrated, although Fizz being nerfed helps as well. Malzahar has a 3 second silence, high damage, and a really great ultimate. He has some flaws (no escapes being the most glaring flaw), but when played in the right teamcomp, or by a really skilled Malzahar player, he'll be a beast.

Maokai moved up to tier 1 from tier 2: The rework made him stronger. He can keep his ultimate up longer times thanks to lower overall mana costs and it following him, his saplings can slow people, and his W is on a much lower cooldown and it deals max hp % damage. The lost range from W hurts him though, but he's quite strong right now.

Sivir moved up to tier 3 from tier 4: The ultimate buff helped her, as did the Fizz nerf.

Skarner moved up to tier 3 from tier 4: Skarner has somewhat decent damage, dueling power, and he can be hard as a cockroach to kill with all that shield spamming. His cc is decent too.

Teemo moved down to tier 3 from tier 2: While Teemo may still fill a niche, his overall power level is much weaker than before. His mushrooms do less damage and are easy to find, his damage is not really outstanding as a mage, and he's overall not a great champion. He's still very annoying, though.

Ziggs moved down to tier 2 from tier 3: His late game ultimate CD got hit a lot, which hurt his power level.

sKazito

Recruiter

08-01-2014

Thank you good Sir. Good to know someone still cares about Dom

See you in the Scar!

An1MuS

Recruiter

08-02-2014

First, thanks for the tier list. It's always good to see people helping each other. So thank you !

Second, i think Skarner should be atleast tier 2. My reasons for this would be: He has beter than average mobility (of the utmost importance in dominion) because of his Crystalline Exoskeleton, a skill to reduce mobility of several enemies (which coupled with his auto speed buff+armor let's him escape of most clutch situtations), and his ulti is of great utility for the team since he not only can negate an hero for the duration but it can pull him to a tower or group of allies, coupled with the slow, be able to deal significant damage. In team fights, his AoE damage is not that bad, and can be annoying for the other team. With this he has one of the best capabilities for defending towers, and be useful to the team in many respects.

Try playing with it and you'll see.

ChiTenshi

08-03-2014

Surprised Jinx is Tier 2 and Caitlyn is Tier 3. I find Jinx weaker than Cait in dominion since she has a lack of mobility and her traps only last 5 seconds whereas Cait's lasts 4 minutes.

Sylian

Recruiter

08-03-2014

I'm glad to hear you guys liked it.

@An1MuS: I've played a few games to evaluate Skarner, and I felt tier 3 seemed fitting. While he's somewhat strong, he has some flaws. His cc is not all that special in general, his AoE damage is very limited in range, his teamfight initiation powers are lacking, and he somewhat struggles to catch champions that don't care about slows much, champions with good mobility abilities for instance. With that being said, if he can get into someone's face, he'll win many fights. You could consider him high tier 3, I suppose.

Perhaps I'll play him a few more times to reevalute if he deserves a tier 2 spot, but I'm somewhat skeptical of it.

Quote:
ChiTenshi:
Surprised Jinx is Tier 2 and Caitlyn is Tier 3. I find Jinx weaker than Cait in dominion since she has a lack of mobility and her traps only last 5 seconds whereas Cait's lasts 4 minutes.
AD carry Jinx is nothing special, and probably around tier 3 level. What makes Jinx tier 2 is the AD caster build. Jinx W is on a low cooldown (10-6, with max CDR it drops to 3.6 at max rank), has good AD scaling, slows, and has a range of 1500. With this, she can poke and kite, and she can use her E trap to prevent enemies from closing in on her. Should she need to fight, she can still fight at near-ADC levels thanks to her Q, even with a caster build. Her ultimate is very useful for interrupting caps and picking off stray kills, and at max rank with 40% CDR, it's on a 36 second cooldown. Ghostblade and Last Whisper are core items.

Meanwhile, Caitlyn is a pretty decent ADC, but she faces many of the problems other ADC face in Dominion. Hence, tier 3.

Varus and Ashe should also be played with an AD caster build.

Aeronth

08-03-2014

Quote:
An1MuS:
Second, i think Skarner should be atleast tier 2. My reasons for this would be: He has beter than average mobility (of the utmost importance in dominion

How is Skarner's mobility "better than average"?
Which melee champions are "lower than average", if Skarner isn't?

ChiTenshi

08-03-2014

Quote:
Aeronth:
How is Skarner's mobility "better than average"?
Which melee champions are "lower than average", if Skarner isn't?

Skarner gains movement speed with his W.

Aeronth

08-03-2014

It's actually from his W, but that doesn't answer my question.

Sylian

Recruiter

08-06-2014

Skarner will remain in tier 3. His early game is very, very weak for top lane, which is a pretty big issue. He doesn't cc much, do much damage, or even tank much until he gets some items. He reminds me of Taric in many ways. He's a somewhat okay champion, but in order to reach tier 2, "okay" doesn't cut it.

Sylian

Recruiter

08-06-2014

I've been doing some thinking, and I've decided to be a bit more restrictive with tier 1 champions. Description of tier 1 champions changed from:

Tier 1 - Some of the strongest champions around. Will fit well into many comps and do well against many comps. Some of them are overpowered.

To:

Tier 1 - Champions that are overpowered to some degree. Will fit well into many comps and do well against many comps.

Due to this change, the following formerly tier 1 champions are dropping to tier 2:

Annie, Nidalee, Wukong, Zyra.

With this said, I'd like to discuss what each tier means to me a bit deeper.

Tier 1 is the tier for the champions I feel are overtuned. These champions should receive some map-specific balancing in order to bring them more in line.

Tier 2 is the ideal tier. These are overall pretty good champions that you can feel good about playing, and that you should be fine with seeing in champion select (assuming they fit the comp and the player knows how to play the champion).

Tier 3 is for champions that can work, but tend to have some flaws that make them weaker than tier 2 champions. Perhaps they are prone to kiting, or have a kit not really adapted to Dominion, or have a tendency to struggle against certain comps. Most ADC that aren't AD casters tend to fit tier 3, since they can work when built around, but you might struggle if you just grab, say, Graves or Caitlyn in a random game. Some of the champions here are close to tier 2 and would just need some number buffs to reach it, such as Ziggs or Lulu.

Tier 4 is for the champions you generally don't want to see in champion select. These champions have some major flaws that make them pretty weak on the map, such as a kit that doesn't work that well on Dominion, or lacking stats.

In ideal balance, there would be no tier 0 champions, and the majority would be tier 2. I suppose some are likely to remain tier 3, and some champions might be held back enough by their kit to remain in tier 4, but ideally, there would be no tier 1 or tier 4 champions. Tier 2 and tier 3 are the best tiers, I'd argue, with tier 2 being the very best.