Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a tonne of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out Boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Much love, Europe!

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

IS1f8c5ba9abb8f7

Lead Effects Artist

04-26-2011

Quote:
Numerion:
(I thought that I already posted here o.Q)

anyway... Did you work on Nidalee's transformation? It's so wonderfully done

Oh and did you happen to work on Trundle's effects?

Sam did Nidalee and I agree that her transformation was really cool.

I did do Trundle's effects. I found him kind of tough. A stinky troll is not the kind of character I normally do so I had to try new things (like the slimy column) to keep things interesting.

IS1f8c5ba9abb8f7

Lead Effects Artist

04-26-2011

Quote:
Ryoutaru:
Last question, how comes your Forum avatar is a champion that has been cancelled....or has he?
DUN DUN DUNNNNNNNNNNNN

I'm trying SO hard to make Averdrian a reality. If they close the door on him I will change my avatar.

IS1f8c5ba9abb8f7

Lead Effects Artist

04-26-2011

Quote:
DemonEye:
Hi Nocturne! Sion is my favorite champion, and i wonder if you can "play" a bit with his stun [Q] animation. The description says that Sion is looking at the enemy and its stunning him, so it would be awesome if it would had and animation like some flashy beams, or lights popping out of his eyes, but not towards the enemy. Maybe something similar to Cassiopea's ultimate. The current animations is kinda lame...

I see what you mean and it makes sense, but the designers didn't want his stun to happen so quickly, so beams weren't really possible. They wanted his stun to take time before it hit the target, so I did what I could given those limitations. That said, Sion was one of the first few champions done, so his animations and effects are definitely not as good as what we make now. No arguments there.

ZeroSleep

04-26-2011

Quote:
Nocturne:
Yes. I did the effects for Kassadin. I liked doing the void effect because it punches a hole in the world and everything inside is in screen space. The effect I hated? Well, originally I had his sword flashing a LOT more and it practically gave people seizures, so I had to tone it down a lot. I also enjoyed making the void trail underneath him, which I added to Void Nocturne. Look for that soon.

I got my degree in Art from UCLA, but I honestly spent most of my time in the Animation and Film school there. I got my break doing character animation for Philips Interactive Media when they decided to make a console (the ill-fated CD-i). As far as tips for doing that now? A school like GNOMON or an equivalent is a good start. Also watch a LOT of effects movies. They will influence how you see things and will develop your sense of what "looks right" as well as good examples of things that look perfect in their fantastical (I really like the smoke effects from Harry Potter movies).

Yeah, the void effect is awesome. I especially love Riftwalk, which is also my favorite ability in the game. Thank you for that! <3 If he ever gets a legendary skin, you better do the effects. ^^

Looking into GNOMON, thanks for the tip.

Is there where I'm going to be cheesy and say I liked the world of Pandora (plant-life, lighting) when it comes to effects? Actually, one of the effects I love the most in any movies were the fire in NY in Independence Day, and that was actual fire... >_>

IS1f8c5ba9abb8f7

Lead Effects Artist

04-26-2011

Quote:
Xepnes:
Did you design Ezreal's particle effects ? ^^ if so, Good Job /pat.

Also, will Nether Grasp and Null Zone, get some love sooner or later? ^^ I'm playing on a laptop so settings are on "low" so I cant really enjoy the true beauty of the effects, but I still believe they could be tad bit more flashy ^^

I did do Ezreal's effects. Thanks for the love.

I'd definitely recommend playing on a system that can handle the settings on "high" and then get back to me with what you think of those effects. Some of the things that the "low" setting does to my effects can be brutal

Tekoppar

04-26-2011

Just a tip, but if you want more questions you should probably change the title on this thread. Having it named "Much love, Europe!" when your answering questions makes no sense.

First question. The upcoming graphic upgrade to the engine. Did you guys add support for normal maps or did my eyes deceive me? If you did it's full plus, if not. Shame on you!

Second question. I started a support ticket a long time ago about changing the Nexus to a 5 sided building instead of the 6 sided you got now to make the "summoners" represent the players and thus making the big floating "diamond" represent the computer. Did you guys actual hear about this? Or is it as it always when it comes to support - pastebin everything.

Third question. Why isn't there a particle effect on the "diamond" on the nexus? Some kind of particle effect pushing it up with pink glitter would look "cool" as the kids say.

Totally forgot, sweet idea to answer questions! Big thumbs up for this.

ribanac

04-27-2011

Hi m8 thx for replay.

Can you tell us whats your salary at Riots? thx )

Archmagegr

04-27-2011

are u going to change again the movement animation of evelyn ?

IS1f8c5ba9abb8f7

Lead Effects Artist

04-27-2011

Quote:
Archmagegr:
are u going to change again the movement animation of evelyn ?

You should direct that question to CaptainLX, he has a thread here (http://eu.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=170806&highlight=captainlx) just for animation questions.

My name is Luka

04-27-2011

When are you going to remove the Night/halloween map in summoner's rift
it drops the fps of most of the players.