European Service Update 11th June

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Errigal

Managing Director EU

11-06-2014
1 of 49 Riot Posts

Summoners,

EUW is recovering from nearly 24 hours of downtime and I want to explain what happened.

The reason for the original maintenance was to move the platform to our new datacentre in Amsterdam. As mentioned in service updates between October and now, this migration is just one part of our commitment to get you the service you deserve. Aside from this, we’ve built an EU focused tech team, worked to improve service messaging, beefed up our ability to track service quality and set up Riot Direct in order to mitigate pain from ISP routing issues. The new datacentre is an important step, but it’s not the solution to all problems or the end of our commitment to giving you quality service.

Now onto what happened: We took the platform offline for migration maintenance at 3am GMT+1/4am CET and everything looked good until EUW went live again at 11am. This is when we (players and Rioters) saw that 3 days of match history, LP changes and purchases were missing. To figure out the problem we took the platform back down at 12pm.

Our options at this stage were:

1. Restart the platform and acknowledge the loss of 3 days data
  2. Roll back to the old datacentre, figure out the problem and try the launch again in a couple of days
  3. Fix the problem on the new datacentre so it was live as quickly as possible
Anyone who finally won a promo series during those days will understand why option 1 was a last resort. We picked option 3 as it was the shortest route to the best long term state. Also, rolling back meant just as much downtime and would lead to another round of disruption when we went to launch again a few days later.

The amount of information involved was huge, so the assessment of what was missing, data transfer, validation, platform restart and QA took up until 3am GMT+1/4am CET today. In fact, as I write this, Leagues data is still being copied over and consequently ranked queues are disabled. If you want more details on any of the steps taken, Tmx has been keeping you posted with details of the data transfer issue here, and all the updates from 3am yesterday onward are shown in the official service status post here.

You can see from current platform health that even though the new datacentre was built with the latest hardware and thoroughly stress tested, adding millions of us into the equation can cause hiccups. The problems the team are focusing on now are:
  1. Getting the remaining Leagues data copied over so ranked can be re-enabled
  2. Fixing the slow population of friends lists when you log in that some of you are seeing and chat instability
  3. Re-enabling server transfers
  4. Getting the “codes” section of the store back online again

Looking back, we were overly confident in our ability to transition quickly and we should have shared that this was the datacentre migration so you guys could have prepared for possible issues. Aside from the issues mentioned above, teams are working on even better Internet connectivity, minimizing downtimes (planned and unplanned), and more easily expanding every part of the service.

In closing, we’re committed to keeping League of Legends available whenever you want to play. Long term this may mean we change specific features, hardware specifications or data centres, but our overall commitment to you is to provide you the quality service you deserve.

ZackBlack

11-06-2014

Just posted proof Amsterdam is Live a Minute ago :c
Haha, good job guys, for the amount of data that has been transfered, I would say it went quick.

Vulcanoblue

11-06-2014

Thanks for clearing that up, I was really confused

no controll

11-06-2014

AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW YES

Erik cartman12

11-06-2014

i Still don't see any words about compensation for rankeds being down 30+ hours?

NoKillPlease

11-06-2014

I don't get why everybody complains so much, not like riot wanted to hurt us and while yes, we do get a lot of downtime, it's just a game, you can do something else while servers are down and riot members work hard trying to bring it up again. They do tell us what's going on from time to time and even update their status threads every few hours. Remember that lol is not your life guys and riot does not take servers down intentionally so you are not able to play, they want you to play because that's how they earn their money

Leyrann

11-06-2014

Finally!

Also, I believe I remember something nearly a year ago, I think it was Ymir who said that (but I'm not sure) that we would get a compensation when all the constant server problems were over. Is that now?

FakePalm

11-06-2014

well.. if I start the launcher, the server is still "unavailable".. thought problems are fixed?

Rattle22

11-06-2014

We KNEW it!
We already guessed on that "Data migration" a while ago, but "Hardware maintanance" was not misinterpretable.
Thank you for your commitment!

Che Lenger

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-06-2014

When can we play ranked games?