Increase Zoom

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Skifff

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

16-04-2011

Hey folks!

Time to get back to the 21st century right? How about increasing the zoom level or being able to zoom all the way out.

When I read a book, I dont want to have my nose stuck on the page while reading.

When I play lol, I dont want my view to be stuck so close that I cant see ****.

Increasing zoom or being able to zoom out in games like demigod and supreme commander makes the play experience much better, and would be favourable for riot as this would make playing the game much more enjoyable to the summoners.

Increasing zoom or letting players tilt the camera would allow for increased precision with actions as you wouldnt constantly need to be edge scrollin, but instead u can follow ur char solely by zoom-in zoom-out method.

I understand there has been discussion that this would make characters like ezrael and ashe worse, however i dont believe this is the case. They can still go out of sight and into fog of war to ult, maintaining the element of surprise.

Please, I just genuinely want to be able to increase zoom just to make it easier to play and get rid of a headache. I have no interest in giving a disadvantage to any character by increasing zoom, which I don't think will even occur.

Cheers,
Skifff

P.S. The least riot could do is make zoomhacks legid, if riot is too lazy to implement a zoom system themselves.

P.P.S I'd be willing to play the game more and buy riot points for some new champs if this feature were implemented.

sudo sandwich

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

16-04-2011

Therefore unbalancing things like ashe-arrow

Skifff

16-04-2011

i just said that it wouldnt unbalance ashe arrow, if u shoot the arrow in fog of war.

And I mainly use the zoom to move around smoothly in demigod and supreme commander, that is, im zoomed all the way out only for short periods of time.

Xyltin

16-04-2011

The camera perspecive is a point of game desing and balancing.

In MOBAs it isnt common to give a free zoom, cause it would make a lot of skill based things liek map awareness very easy. When you play a 3rd person shooter you also dont blame the programmers that they didnt give you an ego perspective.

Also the zoom isnt that bad. You are far enough away to see everything you need, and getting around your champ with the camera and also watching the minimap is important.

And dont ever Play SC2, WC3 or any other MOBA. They have the same restrictions cause it is important in some games.

SupCom(1 and 2) is an awesme game, but it is designed to have that perpective cause you have to command more than one or even 50 units. So you need that.
Demigod wasn't really good for more than 4-5 games. It was all about who could have more HP reg to push longer. Also the perspective did move a lot of skill out of the game.

DotA is the best expample for a MOBA. Having too much freedom for your own changes would make it much harder to balance and also give some people advantages. Maybe they will increase teh POV by 5-10% with hte graphical update, but i hope not.

Skifff

16-04-2011

And anyway, in a large amount of games people are connected via teamspeak being able to give instant warning of an arrow anyway. Hence, not being able to zoom out just annoys players, and would nerf champs marginally, if at all.

BigJammy

16-04-2011

I agree, a little more zoom out would be great. Playing high range characters, like Caitlyn or Kog, it's really annoying have always to move your camera to cast a single spell with low cd. 2 or 3 scroll wheel back should be perfect.

howie1360

16-04-2011

THE MAP ZOOM WOULDNT AFFECT FOG

so many times this is requested and people say things about ashe and ezreal. The idea is to ZOOM OUT and NOT remove the FOG

Skifff

16-04-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xyltin View Post
The camera perspecive is a point of game desing and balancing.

In MOBAs it isnt common to give a free zoom, cause it would make a lot of skill based things liek map awareness very easy. When you play a 3rd person shooter you also dont blame the programmers that they didnt give you an ego perspective.
Firstly, the fact that MOBAS dont have free zoom is cause the developers of the game never thought of it.

Secondly, why on earth would anyone want to make playing the game an inexcrutiating experience.

Even with all the way out zoom it is possible to be map unaware if u dont zom out frequently enough. ITs identical to glancing at the minimap. My point is that it makes map awareness easier to do, but still does not remove skill.

Your comparison to a 3rd person shooter is irrelevant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xyltin View Post

Also the zoom isnt that bad. You are far enough away to see everything you need, and getting around your champ with the camera and also watching the minimap is important.

And dont ever Play SC2, WC3 or any other MOBA. They have the same restrictions cause it is important in some games.
The zoom sucks totally, play demigod or supcom for a few months. Another thing u can do is go read a book with a telescope, you'll get the same experience as playing lol without zoom.

The stuck up close zoom is not intentional, it is a glyph of the ancient past and should be fixed asap.

Skifff

16-04-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by howie1360 View Post
THE MAP ZOOM WOULDNT AFFECT FOG

so many times this is requested and people say things about ashe and ezreal. The idea is to ZOOM OUT and NOT remove the FOG
I agree with you, I want to ZOOM OUT and NOT remove the FOG. FOG is what will still make map awareness crucial, and FOG is what was always the intentional means of creating uncertainty.

Cause u can shoot ashe arrow when ur in FOG and u can choose to shoot it through paths that travel in FOG all the time, u can still maintain element of surprise with Ashe. This actually would be a good improvement, as it would add more skill to the game to know to shoot from the right places so ur arrow isnt seen.

Skifff

16-04-2011

The bottom line is, all the information that becomes available from zooming out is already in the minimap.

Furthermore, any skills that would suffer from being able to zoom out would only suffer very marginally, as FOG lets us keep the element of surprise.