Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a tonne of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out Boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Upcoming Mac minspec bump

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Riot DryTheRiver

Player Support Lead

04-09-2014

Hey summoners,

We wanted to give you an early heads-up that in a few patches (UPDATE: We've moved our target date back to 4.8 to give more time for players to upgrade) we'll be updating our minimum system specifications for Mac players from 10.6 "Snow Leopard" to 10.7 "Lion". This decision follows Apple stopping development on security updates for 10.6 - you can check out this Ars Technica article (http://arstechnica.com/apple/2014/03/snow-leopard-updates-are-probably-done-here-are-your-os-x-upgrade-options/) for details. Over time, this switch to 10.7+ will allow us to leverage Apple's more recent tools to create a better League experience for Mac users.

For those of you still on 10.6, there are a few potential routes you can explore:

• A free upgrade to 10.9 "Mavericks" (http://www.apple.com/osx/how-to-upgrade/) - the latest version of OS X. According to Apple's website, the following machines are compatible with 10.9:
o iMac (Mid 2007 or newer)
o MacBook (Late 2008 Aluminum, or Early 2009 or newer)
o MacBook Pro (Mid/Late 2007 or newer)
o MacBook Air (Late 2008 or newer)
o Mac mini (Early 2009 or newer)
o Mac Pro (Early 2008 or newer)
o Xserve (Early 2009)

• If your machine isn't included in the list above, you may still be able to purchase an upgrade to 10.7 "Lion" (http://store.apple.com/us/product/D6106Z/A/os-x-lion) for $20 (Machines incompatible with 10.9 "Mavericks" are also incompatible with 10.8 "Mountain Lion&quot. A list of machines that can upgrade to 10.7:
o iMac (Late 2006 or newer)
o MacBook (Late 2006 or newer)
o MacBook Pro (Late 2006 or newer)
o MacBook Air (Early 2008 or newer)
o Mac mini (Mid 2007 or newer)
o Mac Pro (Mid 2006 or newer)

If you're unsure of your machine's compatibility, you can use Apple's Service and Support Coverage check (https://selfsolve.apple.com/agreementWarrantyDynamic.do) to find out.

If neither of these solutions work, you'll need to switch to running the Windows client through Bootcamp or another Virtual Machine program to continue playing League of Legends on 10.6. That said, we strongly recommend upgrading to a newer computer as soon as you are able to (though we know this isn't a possibility for everyone). Since Apple has dropped security updates for Snow Leopard, your system (and your LoL account) will become increasingly vulnerable to risk.

UPDATE: Our target date for the change has moved to Patch 4.8 to allow additional time for Mac players to explore upgrade options.

ettcooltnamn

04-10-2014

Is this in any way going to bring us closer to the mac client being finalized or even slightly improved upon? I feel as if it is far from riots priorities right now and looking at the Mac feedback thread here in EU West no one from Riot ever even comments on the issues that Mac players are facing.

Vlad Alexa

04-10-2014

Great news, hopefully it yields notable optimizations,

o0 this was posted on EUW first, the NA forums still don't have this announcement.

Aeliandil

04-10-2014

Wow... is that the mighty red post on the Mac forum section?
I thought that was something parents told to their kids so they still keep being nice. But it really happens!

Better make sure that's not hacker using a red account...

ettcooltnamn

04-18-2014

Honestly it would be nice to see a dev pay notice to any post in here just so that we're seen. I would post my files here whenever my client acts up, which happens, but I don't since it feels like no one actually uses them anyway. I don't want to spend the time finding and uploading the files when no attention is payed to them. The game and service is great, but acknowledging the people who post here would make me, and probably a lot of others, feel a lot more appreciated.

Riot DryTheRiver

Player Support Lead

04-28-2014

Hey guys,

We wanted to let you know we've changed our target date for the minimum system specifications update to the 4.8 patch to give affected players a few more weeks to upgrade. The original announcement has been updated with this information as well.

Thanks!

Shirikatsu

04-29-2014

So... what's the date for the 4.8 patch?

kwissa

05-11-2014

alright, so if im correct your banning out older systems, for whatever reason. Is something gonna change about all the horrible bugs mac users have been experiencing or are they just gonna ignore all that?

Tyrano73

05-22-2014

Could anyone from Riot at least update the "known bugs" thread ? Because to me, and apparently I'm far from the only one, it just feels like you're trying to avoid the subject, which isn't a really nice feeling to have.

So please, I love this game and I want to continue playing it, but the LoL experience on Macs is slowly worsening. A simple update on the "known bugs" thread, or a short post on why you can't manage the Mac forum at the moment, would really help things out. If you make an official Mac version (as opposed to the former iLoL client), that means you can't let it slowly wilt when you can't deal with the problems it comes up with.

Waylander

05-24-2014

Dear Riot

this is a shame as 10.6.8 is way better than maverick or any other upgrade for my year of Imac (mid 2009)

I would be upgrading the OSX just so I can play LOL, and ruining my computer.

Surely there is a way to still work with older versions of OSX such as mine?

Unless I can magic a new computer, looks like no more lol for me from next patch :/