Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a tonne of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out Boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

getting kills as support

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Finnrat

04-05-2014

I play support a lot. And it happens to me regularly that people complain when I get a kill. And by complain I mean complain / encourage everybody to report me / insult me / insult my mothers.

I see my role as support that I will hold back on last-hitting so the adc gets more money. But when attacking other champs I refuse to turn off attack. I will also not let one escape if I have the chance to finish him off. I will also use my damaging skills to attack him. I think this is the correct way to play. But in many cases my teams thinks otherwise.

any comments on this?

CloppyFawk

04-05-2014

Kill securing is obviously the best thing to do. It would be a waste to let such a delicious kill go to waste by not killing him. If there is no chance of survival for your opponent, while your AD carry can safely get the kill, it is still best to give it to him though.

Hairyloco

Recruiter

04-06-2014

Well, I'm one of the people who would be like, a kill is a kill for the team. No matter who gets it, everyone can use a kill. If the support getting first blood means they will have an easier time engaging and sustaining through a fight, then I as ADC am all the more happy with their kill, because it means I get to pick up more kills in the long run.

A fed support is as useful as a fed ADC. The support carries the carry, which many people tend to forget.

On that note, it would be a different story if the support was going 5/0/0 and the ADC 0/2/5, it would mean the ADC died for assists and thus lost CS at the same time. This way, the support is starving the ADC instead.

Antiparticle1701

04-07-2014

I agree with you 100%. The important thing is that the enemy goes down, and in a game like LoL you can't take any chances, if you hold back to let someone else deal the finishing blow that might just give the enemy time to have an ability/item/teammate save him. If you're unlucky enough to be paired with an ADC who rages when you get a kill, try to explain you're just trying to help the team, and if he won't see reason just mute him.

Eclavyrr

04-07-2014

It depends alot on the situation as well, I play support main and if I engage and can secure a kill for my carry, I will disengage and let him have it while I focus on the other laner(s). However, if I do not know for sure my carry will get the kill without getting himself killed I can and will proceed to kill the engaged unit myself. Its bloody annoying to see an enemy run off with 1% hp left because your carry didn't pay attention or because the enemy support shielded. I rather KS then and apologize to my carry.
It also can happen that when you use a delayed trigger such as Leona's W you might get the kill instead of the carry. It sucks, but the kill is secured and that's what counts. If your carry starts whining about it, tell him that he just got a lot of free farm (no lane pressure), denied enemy CS and got gold for assist. That's about as good as getting the kill.
I have occasionally engaged the enemy if I am sure I can land the kill myself (I once flashed in on a low health Ez to kill him, and my low health carry was farming. I got a teamwork from him because of that play).
If you are in a teamfight, engage, dump whatever you can on the enemy team and back off. Basically that will give you full assists and no kills.

So far I have had only one occasion in which my carry was flaming me for grabbing kills. I was Thresh and my carry had 35 CS and 0/4/2 after 9 minutes. That's a lost lane so I went full ham ADC and tried to carry my time till lategame where I rebuild as AD/offtank. We won our lane (but we did lose the match on account of general bad plays on entire team (yes, me included).

Fireman Sam

04-08-2014

If you're sure the enemy will not get away, then leave it for the carry.

If you're not sure then secure the kill.

IonDragon

Recruiter

04-18-2014

If an ADC can't kill him you just finish him off, simple as that.

ALLIEDx

11-28-2014

A good support will know when a last hit is required, everyone knows that the kill needs to be taken but most of the arguments are about if the last hit was even required. Same happens with Junglers when they gank. You often see laners flash last hit which to me as adc is not worth, Id rather let my support take the kill and share the gold and still have my flash for next time or for if I get ganked or roamed on ect.
As you gain higher Elo you will find that these arguments aren't really a problem as 'most' people understand how much damage there champions deal and when last hits are necessary.
If your up on your CS as Adc then you wont care who gets the kills and long as your getting more gold than there Adc.

nin7

11-29-2014

I'd say killing in botlane will mean less presure for your carry, more farm, gold from assists and that farm, level and gold advantage, more damage and then kills for your adc if he plays right.

Specially, if you play with a tanky supp and you get a kill or two, you'll be tougher, wich will make engaging easier and probably lead to kills for your adc.

The right number to look at and compare in the kda for you and your carry to know if you are making the right decisions is that "d", specially for those tanky supps, and specially when not doing too well. If you die less than the adc as a tanky supp when things are uphill, may be they go uphill because you are not soaking enought damage for him (ok, he may be bad, but you should contemplate ways to improve youshelf)

XerxesTop

12-01-2014

Take the kills when you can let the adc make an effort to get the kill if he doesn't you get a kill if he does you get assist