Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a tonne of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out Boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Shop lag. Buy item - freeze. Open shop - FREEZE.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

aliderbabar

11-23-2014

Getting freezes/fps drops when in shop as well quite often.

In shop: fps drops
buying item: freeze

Stormhealer

11-25-2014

ritos keep ignoring us

TSM El Pasterino

11-26-2014

ok i will bump this too because this problem has persisted for the full season for me. it gets worse the longer the game goes and it really is THAT bad - if the game lasts for 50 minutes, simply buying 1-2 items can take as long as 10-15 seconds (no im not exaggerating here).
however it has been in the game for so long that i simply got used to it. everytime i watch someones stream who can exchange his trinket at 10 minutes in an instant i get so jealous though as for me it will take a lag to sell it, a lag to go into the trinket section of the shop and another huge lag to purchase it.
it is also peculiar that there are a plenty of threads from 1 year ago that all show the exact same problem and not a single answer has been given in any of them.
probably because your codebase is so old and messed up that you figuring out those kinds of problems does in fact take 2 years.

Tales of Owlie

11-28-2014

bumperino

KamiKaroshi

12-03-2014

I have the same problem here.
Also for me it is present for several month now.
I tried the repair function which basically deleted my items sets.
This seemed to help a bit, but I want to use the item sets,
since I play like 70 different champs on my account,
and I can not remeber all item choice for all of them all the time.

So I copied a backup of my item set files into the preferences folder,
and now the lag when buying items is just as bad as it was before.
If for example i want to buy 3 potions, this could take up to 10 seconds in total.
And sometimes i click and walk out of the shop, just to fin myself in lane with just one potion ...

Please Riot, do something about this problem, several people seem to have for quite some time now!

KamiKaroshi

12-03-2014

Ok I did some more research and found this, which is very enlightening!
I Still wonder why this problem isn't fixed after over a year.
Since in the following the latency is addressed several times, I like to add, that mine is around 40 ms, which I consider pretty good.
--------------------------------

[–]FootSpaz[FootSpaz] (NA) 32 Points 1 year ago*

Okay, I did some testing with this in a few custom games. Here is what I found:
- My FPS drops by approximately 35 for 1 second when this bug occurs. I tried this for multiple frame rates (E.G. 200, 180, 160, 140, 120) and it remains consistent. I tried the locked FPS options and the drop still occurs though at a reduced effect (~25 for 80, ~15 for 60, ~7 for 30, ~2 for 15).
- This bug only occurs if you are buying a duplicate of an item already in your inventory and Slot 1 is occupied by a different item. It appears to occur much more frequently if there is at least one open slot between Slot 1 and the slot your existing item resides in (~80% of the time in this case vs ~10% if there are no open slots between the existing item and Slot 1). This affects both items that can stack and items that can't. I tried this with elixirs when I had full item slots and it did not occur for me.

EDIT: When rapidly purchasing/selling items the bug occurs even when Slot 1 is left empty. I still have not been able to reproduce the bug when leaving Slot 1 is empty and I slowly purchase items.
- This bug appears to have some relation with latency. The higher my ping when I tested it the more likely the bug was to occur. At 100 - 125 ping it rarely occurred (< 25% even using the open slot test case) but at anything over 500 it occurred nearly every time.
- Rapidly purchasing/selling items causes the bug to occur more frequently and exacerbates the bugs effects. Rapidly purchasing two of the same item would typically result in the FPS drop doubling (from ~35 lost increased to ~70 lost). Spamming purchases to get to a full stack would frequently drop me from ~200 FPS down to ~70. This appears to mean every purchase incurs the FPS hit explaining why many users are experiencing FPS of 1-3 when buying items.
- I can confirm what enthreeoh stated. If you have a stack of items and buy another one of those items it will appear for ~500ms in the first open slot, assuming the conditions I stated previously are met. This only affects the shop item slots, the ones on your character panel never show the item in a separate slot. This particular aspect also seems to be affected by latency. When I tested this at ~100 ping it would show up in it's own slot for 250ms or less, anything over 150 it lasted about 500ms. When I tried it at over 9000 ping (I'm serious, Vegeta would surely be proud) it stayed in it's own slot until I closed the shop. I bought 4 copies before closing the shop and they all went into the same previously open slot (Slot 2) with the original staying all alone like Amumu in it's own slot (Slot 5).

EXAMPLE 1: Slot 1 = Mana Potion, Slot 2 = empty, Slot 3 = 3x Health Potion. A Health Potion is purchased. The Health Potion briefly shows up in Slot 2 and a large FPS drop generally occurs.

EXAMPLE 2: Slot 1 = Mana Potion, Slot 2 = empty, Slot 3 = Doran's Ring. A Doran's Ring is purchased. The Doran's Ring is placed in Slot 2 and a large FPS drop generally occurs.

EXAMPLE 3: Slot 1 = Mana Potion, Slot 2 = 3x Health Potion. A Health Potion is purchased. The Health Potion stack count for Slot 2 is incremented by 1 immediately and a large FPS drop occasionally occurs.

EXAMPLE 4: Slot 1 = empty, Slot 2 = Mana Potion, Slot 3 = null, Slot 5 = 3x Health Potion. A Health Potion is purchased. This would NOT result in the FPS drop (though the Health Potion would still briefly show up in Slot 1).

EXAMPLE 5: Slot 1 = empty, Slot 2 = Mana Potion, Slot 3 = 1x Health Potion. 4x Health Potions are purchased in quick succession. The new Health Potions show up in Slot 1 briefly and a massive FPS drop occurs, ~4x the standard amount.

Steps to reproduce:
1. Start game and enable FPS counter.
2. Buy any two items.
3. Rapidly purchase copies of them item you DIDN'T place in Slot 1.
4. Observe the FPS drop.
5. Rapidly sell the extra copies of the item.
6. Observe the FPS drop.

Potential Workaround:
EDIT: After further testing I have determined the old workaround is a bust. Your best bet seems to ensure you have low latency (less than 100, easier said than done for many people), leave Slot 1 open as long as possible, and to purchase items more slowly since spam-clicking to buy makes it much worse. Also users with moderately beefy computers are essentially immune since the FPS hit won't be big enough to cause any actual problems.

--------------------

[–]Reinboom (RIOT) 25 Points 1 year ago

Thank you very much. This actually tells me exactly what this is.
(Note: The rest of this post is entirely for informational purposes only, since having insight on what's happening behind the scenes can be interesting. This also is to showcase how accurate depictions of what is actually going on can be of more value than just "Your stuff is slow, fix it!" - although we definitely need to know that as well!)

What's occurring based on reports:
This is an issue where client side prediction is going awry. In League of Legends, any game defining actions we evaluate and execute on the game server - the server for which is directing that particular match - which defines what the 'rules' of the game are. Due to the time it takes to sync the two states, we do a lot of various forms of client side prediction, where we attempt to predict the response of the server and preempt on the client. This makes the game to appear to respond at when the server should be processing your action rather than only giving you the update on the return.

Not doing client side prediction would cause things such as you always seeing champions snap around, waiting for the server to tell them every single movement they do. It's distracting and hindering to the game play.

In this case, the client side prediction is within the item shop. The item shop, once it makes all of its own checks, will send the request for the transaction to the server and then present to you what it expects the result will be. At this time, it updates all displayable items to have their visuals match the new inventory state, e.g. visually disabling all exclusive gold income items when it predicts you've purchased a gold income item. It will then get the confirmation from the server.

When you see a "snap" occur, that's the confirmation being different from the prediction. Normally, this logic is matched and should not desync like this (when we implement things like this, we who work on the game server work on the game client). This usually means something related but unexpected caused a desync.

The result of a desync is: * The client updates the view to predict the server. Partial update. * The server informs the client of the result. The client "panics" when it sees it got it wrong and errs on the side of totally correcting itself. Full update.

Getting a partial update and a full update back to back can be painful on performance. Especially if there are multiples of these desyncs occurring (this is why you would notice slowing down improves it.)

High latency amplifies the issue further, given chance to the client doing another type of check where it believes the server won't respond. It will then attempt to fix itself.

FL Studio DAW

12-03-2014

Yep is since a while now. Very anoying. ( since the new shop layout really)

ANd its not the pc(s) or video card(s).

- Happens on quad q8300 intel 8 gb dual chanel gtx 285
- Happens on fx 6350 amd 6 core with 12 gb dual channel and a gtx 560 Ti
- Happens on fx8350 8 core 16 gb dual channel ram and a gtx 970.
- Happens on my laptop quad core 3200 mhz with ati hd 7660

I hope they fix it.

KamiKaroshi

12-03-2014

I am really puzzled right now!
Normally I play on EU West and EUNE.
Today I played a game on NA Server.
And what can I tell you, there was no lag in the shop whatsoever !

Even with the same item sets in use,
and despite having a latency of 230 ms !
No lag in shop.

I used the same PC, same equipment, every piece.
How is this possible?
Whats different on NA to EU servers, making me lag in EU shops ?

go0onygo0ony2

12-04-2014

same fking problem

Kriger

12-05-2014

90% of the people can fix this by getting some more ram. 2gb is not enough