Vel'Koz.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Nameless Voice

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

03-03-2014

So far, he seems pretty balanced to me, maybe a tiny bit on the strong side.
I've only 4 played 4 games with him so far, but have done very well, and his kit (especially his Q) is fun to use. I've also played against him and been beaten by him, but each time I felt it was because I played badly rather than him being overpowered.

The only thing that seems a little too good are his mana costs. Once I get Atehene's, I never run out of mana and just let my jungler take all the blue buffs.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Lexhus

Senior Member

03-03-2014

Overall he's an AMAZING champion which is REALLY fun to play.
But him having no escape just makes me sit in the back of my team all day firing off skillshots, which is BORING.

I think it would have been a lot better if riot made it so:
His Q damage gets slightly nerfed, and the secondary bolts deal 75% damage of the initial bolt.
His W damage stays the same, only it's second damage also knocks up.
His E is a short range dash that ignores creeps and deals damage, after which he jumps half way towards his initial position, and if he doesn't hit a champ, he just dashes in the direction. (there's already an animation for it, homeguard)
And his ult is the same.

A gap closer would make him perfect.
Without it, the only way to play him is sitting in the back of the team, spamming your abilities.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Adept Invention

Senior Member

03-03-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexhus View Post
Overall he's an AMAZING champion which is REALLY fun to play.
But him having no escape just makes me sit in the back of my team all day firing off skillshots, which is BORING.

I think it would have been a lot better if riot made it so:
His Q damage gets slightly nerfed, and the secondary bolts deal 75% damage of the initial bolt.
His W damage stays the same, only it's second damage also knocks up.
His E is a short range dash that ignores creeps and deals damage, after which he jumps half way towards his initial position, and if he doesn't hit a champ, he just dashes in the direction. (there's already an animation for it, homeguard)
And his ult is the same.

A gap closer would make him perfect.
Without it, the only way to play him is sitting in the back of the team, spamming your abilities.
He doesn't need a gapcloser. He's a kiting combo mage. If I can win lane vs a Kata mid and a Vi jungle then you can play Vel'Koz without getting dove on.

Did it ever occur to you guys that he's more of a situational pick? He dumpsters compositions with little CC or mobility. Like, ruins them. And even against comps with extreme mobility he's still good if you learn to kite with his Q and E properly. I had it down within my first 3 games.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

SuperBoy2005

Senior Member

03-03-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexhus View Post
He can't be close, or he's gonna get focused down instantly and die.
He can't be far, because he doesn't have very long ability range.
He can't be mid range, because anyone with any gap closer will run up in his face and wreck him.
Any ability that even slightly knocks him will cancel his ultimate, which is EXTREMELY easy to dodge, since it moves slower than your grandma.
He has to build a lot of damage to deal a lot of it, because that's the only thing he can do properly.
He has one CC ability that has a tiny radius and is easy to dodge, his passive doesn't give him a lot of damage because it needs three abilities to be cast on the enemy, and that not easy to do considering how easy it is to dodge all of his abilities.

TL;DR You're close? You get instakilled. Wanted to melt everyone with your laser? Too bad it got cancelled or the enemy moved to the side. You're far? Congratz now you can't reach your enemies and they can just step out of the range of your ultimate. You're mid range? Gratz, you got your ult canceled by a random knock-up or a dude with a gap closer.

I've played Vel'Koz like 10 times. Played against him about 5.
If you suck MAJOR balls, you'll catch his abilities with your face and lose.
If you can dodge a Sivir Q, you'll dodge anything Vel'Koz can throw at you.

****, now that i think of it, any champion with a gap closer is a hard-counter to Vel'Koz..
His skills and his laser are nice and all, but overall he's ****.
He's not as bad as you're making him out to be.

http://www.lolking.net/summoner/euw/39371937

But yeah, if you miss your stuff you die.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Lexhus

Senior Member

03-03-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adept Invention View Post
He doesn't need a gapcloser. He's a kiting combo mage. If I can win lane vs a Kata mid and a Vi jungle then you can play Vel'Koz without getting dove on.

Did it ever occur to you guys that he's more of a situational pick? He dumpsters compositions with little CC or mobility. Like, ruins them. And even against comps with extreme mobility he's still good if you learn to kite with his Q and E properly. I had it down within my first 3 games.
Of course he can win against certain champs.
Now if the enemy team has a few champions with gap closers, you're gonna sit in the back of your team and spam your abilities.
And that's ALL you'll do, because any CC will cancel your ult, you're squishy as F*CK because even your base stats are lower than Soraka's and so on.
There's no way to play him except for long range spam.
Kiting? What if the enemy knows how to dodge? You're ****ed.
Long range damage dealing? Rengar. Kha'Zix, Jax basically ANY champion that can get close WILL make you useless.

He needs a gap closer to be able to re position properly.
I believe kata was easy, why? Because Vel'Koz has a knockup. And kata is a melee mage. Meaning she will take his Q to the face.
Play against a LeBlanc with kha jungle.
Or against a ziggs with rengar jungle.
Or against a annie with a Lee sin jungle.
Akali.. No comment.
Fizz.
Gragas.
Basically every mid champion does what he does, only better.
All he can do is sit under the tower and SPAM.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Lexhus

Senior Member

03-03-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperBoy2005 View Post
He's not as bad as you're making him out to be.

http://www.lolking.net/summoner/euw/39371937

But yeah, if you miss your stuff you die.
If someone gets close to you and you don't have flash you die.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Adept Invention

Senior Member

03-03-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexhus View Post
Of course he can win against certain champs.
Now if the enemy team has a few champions with gap closers, you're gonna sit in the back of your team and spam your abilities.
And that's ALL you'll do, because any CC will cancel your ult, you're squishy as F*CK because even your base stats are lower than Soraka's and so on.
There's no way to play him except for long range spam.
Kiting? What if the enemy knows how to dodge? You're ****ed.
Long range damage dealing? Rengar. Kha'Zix, Jax basically ANY champion that can get close WILL make you useless.

He needs a gap closer to be able to re position properly.
I believe kata was easy, why? Because Vel'Koz has a knockup. And kata is a melee mage. Meaning she will take his Q to the face.
Play against a LeBlanc with kha jungle.
Or against a ziggs with rengar jungle.
Or against a annie with a Lee sin jungle.
Akali.. No comment.
Fizz.
Gragas.
Basically every mid champion does what he does, only better.
All he can do is sit under the tower and SPAM.
"Now if the enemy team has a few champions with gap closers, you're gonna sit in the back of your team and spam your abilities." Of course you are, that's how you play Vel'Koz. You sit at the back and spam, let them waste CC on your teammates, then ulti.

"And that's ALL you'll do, because any CC will cancel your ult, you're squishy as F*CK because even your base stats are lower than Soraka's and so on." Which is why you build tank/mgc pen as it's stronger than straight damage.

"There's no way to play him except for long range spam." Same for Ziggs

"Kiting? What if the enemy knows how to dodge? You're ****ed." A) You can't dodge everything
B) Your kit is designed to mess with people and help stop them from dodging you. Learn to predict where they'll dodge and activate your Q at the right time. If they're close to you, you don't even have to bother splitting it, just fire it full in their face, they can't dodge at that distance and you get to walk away spamming your W and E if they try to gapclose.

"Play against a LeBlanc with kha jungle.
Or against a ziggs with rengar jungle.
Or against a annie with a Lee sin jungle.
Akali.. No comment.
Fizz.
Gragas."

All of those bar Gragas are legitimate counters to Vel'Koz. Your point? Vel'Koz loses to some champions in lane? NEVER!


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Skovbanan

Senior Member

03-03-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Communist View Post
TL;DR mimimi rito i was expecting your new champ to be broken so i instabought him but he's balanced pls buff rito pls
Just like Yasuo, it just needs time. Just wait until people learn to position themselves behind walls for max damage with the ultimate.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

SuperBoy2005

Senior Member

03-03-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexhus View Post
If someone gets close to you and you don't have flash you die.
E+W+Q+W, better run boy.

On a side note, my ult just COMPLETELY broke, couldnt use it for the entire game.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

RomaRoma

Senior Member

03-03-2014

Surely Velkoz is hard countered by assassins? Zed would be able to dodge most the ult just by pressing R and annihilate Velkoz with his damage output. Velkoz would have no oppurtunity to kit and zed can put his shadow behind Velkoz and then w if Velkoz tries to knock up, and the other damage is pretty much negligible to him as Velkoz will be taking far more and not be able to use passive. Akali's ult is an amazing counter post level 6, before that though Amalie will have a hard time as shrouding is knock up and then combo for Velkoz, but provided alkali gets through it without a death its pretty one sided. Leblanc is quite a bit like zed in the way she can dodge moves, but she's special as she is also able to silence, meaning no Velkoz ult. Khazix counters Velkoz easily, and his ult means he can even tank Velkoz ult and be able to kill, don't even need to dodge, and he has two slows, his passive is also replenished by ult. Fizz can dodge Velkoz moves so easily there's no need to say anything but playful trickster. And ahri can own Velkoz by getting close and personal with ult.