[Guide] How to Play Cho'gath

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Lord Dracosna

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-07-2010

Because i'm getting disgusted at how most people play this guy i'm going to go over in my opinion the best way to play Cho'Gath.

First Reminder: Cho'gath IS NOT A TANK!

Abilities:
(Passive) Carnivore: This passive allows Cho'gath to stay in the lane at the start as long as he feels like, the only reason you should go back is to shop.

Rupture: Cho'gath's main damaging ability, now this gives you a nice AOE disable with a 1 AP ratio allowing it to also nuke the opponents health, it can also harras enemy champions at the start as well as farming whole creep waves, i would only recommend beginning to use this at level 3 otherwise the mana cost is too high for the amount of mana you start with.

Feral Scream: Slightly less damaging then Rupture but containing an up to 4 second silence. Again this is the ability i would choose for level 13 since i find it is not worth getting early on since you have enough disable from Rupture.

Vorpal Spikes: The terrible AP ratio on this is simple because it enhances your auto attack making Cho'Gath able to dish out insane damage without even using another ability, this also helps you to farm creep waves and harras enemy champions trying to farm.

Feast: Cho'gath's glorious ultimate, having a ratio of 0.5 with AP Cho'gath can nuke and kill any champion under 800 health at max rank not including extra damage from AP, this can be used on fleeing champions if you are in range for less than a second which shouldn't be hard seeing how big you should be, this is also your finisher for any fight, when they're low enough feast and walk off.

Second Reminder: Cho'gath IS NOT A TANK!

Ability Ordering While Levelling:
Rupture
Vorpal Spikes
Rupture
Vorpal Spikes
Rupture
Feast
Rupture
Vorpal Spikes
Rupture
Vorpal Spikes
Feast
Vorpal Spikes
Feral Scream
Feral Scream
Feral Scream
Feral Scream
Feral Scream

Item Build (End Game):
Sorceror's Boots: The only boots any caster needs with the magic penetration bonus allowing for bigger nukes and harrasment.

Archangels Staff: Getting this early on allows you to begin gaining Mana from the amount of times you can spam Rupture on opponents, giving you a nice ap bonus in the end.

Rylai's Crystal Scepter: Even though Cho'gath doesn't need it, it gives him extra survivability and extra slows on his abilities as well as adding to his AP Pool.

Zhonya's Ring: It's a Zhonya's of course you want it on a caster for the AP.

Lichbane: THe added movement speed should allow for extra feasting and of course extra AP and the bonus to your Damage it all stacks up.

Deathfire's Grasp/Abyssal Scepter: The last item is just a matter of preference, depending on who is on the other team, what day it is, how your feeling that second. Since neither of them grant much extra bonus except the AP.

Basic Strategy:
First Items: Doran's Ring + Health Pot After this you should never ever ever ever ever buy a pot, if you do its a waste.

Rupture: Use from level 3 onwards, trying to spam this at level one is pointless since it does pitiful damage at a high mana cost, but once its level 5 you can kill champions easily with this, a guy is running away just place rupture in front of him and pow he's dead, you should initiate some fights by placing rupture where you think the opponents will go, which normally is backwards even if it's in front of them etc etc. Just kill them

Feral Scream: the second part of the 3 hit combo. just spam it.

Vorpal Spikes: No talking nessessary

3 Hit Combo: Once you have enough AP you should be able to Rupture, Feral Scream and then Feast someone to death.

Runes: Whatever you Fancy

Masteries: Classic 9/0/21 for casters

Spells: Clarity for the extra mana buff and Flash to close the gap to Nom nom nom nom

Hope you enjoy my Chogath Guide and Nom those idiots
Comment and Rate Please.
Last Reminder: CHOGATH IS NOT A TANK!!!

Chrysus

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

13-07-2010

Tank Cho'gath is more successful due to the general lack of people wanting to take upon this roll. His huge as well when fully stacked with feast - so he naturally soaks up most damage.

Remember playing support can gain more wins - as opposed to face-roll kills but defeats.

I once had an AP cho'gath hiding behind myself while I played Annie.

Smylz

24-07-2010

I'll kindly ask ... ''What the f*ck?''

You see what you posted there was spell dmg dealing ChoGath

But there is Tank ChoGath as well ... so that statement is a failure you should fix it to

''CHOGATH (in my guide) IS NOT A TANK!!!'' now it makes perfect sense

Lord Dracosna

26-07-2010

Tank chogath sits around doing nothing but feeding and stealing kills.

Dakonblackblade

26-07-2010

I actually find many flaws in this build. One of those is the lack of feral scream. Vorpal spikes sure help for last hitting creeps but hitting heroes? How many hits u expect to get? Its no secret that by Rupture+Scream u get the entire wave. So Spikes are definately not needed . I get 1 level to help my last hit in lane. Im not even mentioning Silence.

Also AP chogath can raise some impressive hp but lacks resistances and after a failed Rupture u are left without defense. Specially since u dont get Scream until late. AP Chogath is fine and can completely remove a hero out of a battle , if not kill him in 3 hit combo but this will be done by Rupture+Scream+Feast , not spikes.

Tank chogath has the potential to stay in a battle for longer periods and thus casting more spells. Also since they hesitate to focus you , u tend to live longer and when someone is low you bite him. Hard.

I strongly prefer tank Chogath, I get 1lvl spikes and leave it last and level Rupture+Scream at the same time. I dont want to be defenseless if one of them miss.

Mercury+2 Doran Ring (mana regen and early HP)+ Guardian Angel , make u a very happy Alien

SharpshooterUK

26-07-2010

For me tank cho is the better option by a mile. If you are patient in the early game/laning phase you can be a beast later on. Because of his passive you can hold a lane solo very effectively. The combination of feral scream and rupture and vorpal spikes means you can take out creep waves with ease. Your best bet is to defend at your own tower and let them push a little, take towers health abit. Then when you hit lvl6 wait for them to get too close and eat their face. Even if you dont get a kill it will put them off pushing too hard, and after that your job is to get your 6 stacks and Guardian Angel. If you have a dont solo a lane and have a good lane mate and you get a couple kills/assists then get Leviathon before GA and you are set.

Sure AP cho can be fun when you get a massive Feast kill, but in terms of a team game, tank cho all the way.

Phrarr

27-07-2010

Tank Cho > AP cho. Sorry but many kills i got with tank cho like 11-1 and many assists

Dark ShadowFire

29-07-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracosna View Post

stopped reading there, sorry

Sculblaca

06-01-2011

you can play cho'gath on different item builds, like tank or dps or ap. i recorded a video when i was playing dps cho'gath...its quite fun as you will see: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9t8OmC5KdcE

Almitt

06-01-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracosna View Post
Tank chogath sits around doing nothing but feeding and stealing kills.
You, my good sir, are very wrong.
A good tank cho'gath activates ghost, runs in vid his awesome mass and starts screaming at everything he sees, after which he starts to chew on the squishiest guy around.