Post-Incident Messaging: November 18th

First Riot Post
1234511 ... 12
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Rincewind

Senior Systems Administrator

Follow Rincewind on Twitter

18-11-2013
1 of 2 Riot Posts

With a heavy heart, filled with deep regret and feeling the pain you do, I share with you the nitty gritty details on what happened today.

We had started preparation work for 3.14 release. A modification to a database (a different one from yesterday) resulted in a transactional lock that did not get released. The modification to the database was supposed to be seamless but it resulted in the lock blocking all other transactions.

The lock on the database resulted in calls related chat restrictions to exhaust all open connections to the database. The side effect of it resulted in match making being backed up as well causing login queue issues that lasted 70mins.

We killed the process that was holding onto the lock. We had to turn off chat restrictions temporarily to let the system recover as there were several thousand messages backed up in the queue.

When we turned off chat restrictions, it turned off LP processing as well. The intention was to turn on chat restrictions again off peak. We have for now turned on LP processing while we are keeping a close on the stability of the system.

The LP that was gained or lost during the incident (18:28 GMT to 20:07 GMT) will not be taken recorded in your match history. It cannot be retroactively be applied. Your MMR was accurately calculated and recorded. We, as Riot, are incredibly sorry your LP were lost. We do understand the efforts it takes to get your LP, and we will be doing our best to avoid problems like this one in the future.

Riot Tmx will share more details tomorrow.

Troll Detected

18-11-2013

Thanks for information. ^^

DinohSaur

18-11-2013

well, **** my series
just won them, doesn't count fml..

Dwarf Adventurer

18-11-2013

Finally someone explains what's going on. Good job!

Eclakst

18-11-2013

Atleast someone at riot said something. I'm happy to get some transparency after weeks of darkness. Thanks.

TomTheBombG

18-11-2013

Im sorry but its not professional at all to make a mistake like this. Don't get me wrong I love the game and will keep on playing it and im not here to ask for free RP. But u guys really should try to pay more attention to this. You know some people are extremely edgy about everything going on w the EUW servers lately. Then now when u enable ranked and we get no points for wins it is really a bummer for us all. I understand your explanation but please. This can not happen again. If you want to stay on top, please do not make mistakes like this again. Now im off to playing ranked again. a good day

Kodoish

18-11-2013

i thought Riot Tmx was going to post a message about YESTERDAY's incidents today, did i miss it?

AD1411

18-11-2013

Probably, instead of saying sorry everytime, let people see some changes on servers' stability could help.

Sebss

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

18-11-2013

d is delicious

Kratos X

18-11-2013

O sea que gane mi partida de promo durante ese horario deberia aver subio y sigo en plata 3 cuando deberia estar en 2. Gracias inutiles

1234511 ... 12