Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a tonne of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out Boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Riot's Road to Destroying LoL?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Fluttering

10-23-2013

Hello to anyone who might be reading.

Recently, I've been to PBE. While I was there, I noticed a new change to the game. Turret range indicators. I mean, seriously?

I don't even know where to begin, turret range indicators are dreadful. Basically, if you still haven't understood what this means, Riot has added a new feature to turrets, a graphical circle with the radius of a turret's range. This is a horrifying idea, and it will harm gameplay (for me, at least) and the fun factor of the game.

Here's why:
If I'm playing AD carry, which I main, it's super easy to stay behind turret range and shoot that last little autoattack to harass the enemy support or AD carry, without being shot in the face by a turret, making me lose the trade, making the turret useful. Nowadays, though I fear it will change, at least for the live game, it's considered a very good trait for any player to know where to position to be able to harass opponents, staying behind turret range and winning trades by getting very close to turrets but not close enough that the turret would shoot them. This is an even better trait to have if you're going all-in, trying to kill the AD carry or the support without being outplayed because of taking too much damage by the turret.

If you've been playing this game for a while you might have watched a video (or maybe this even happened to yourself!) of people trying to dive someone early and being completely outplayed because the turret was there to help the poor soul about to die. Or maybe at level 1, in the very beginning of the game, when teams go to the bot lane to kill someone sitting by the turret, and the turrets melt down each player that gets near them. Now, imagine that the attackers had a turret range indicator, ok? Imagine that among the attackers, there's a Nidalee, a Jinx or any other champion with a mid-long range skillshot/target ability. How do you think it will go? Do you reckon the attackers will still get into turret range to die, or, the way I see it, create a wall around the turret, so the player defending stays behind turret while these champions with mid-long range abilities chunk the poor soul down until they get First Blood, before any other player arrives to save the defender?

There are so many examples in which attackers would not care about the danger of taking a turret shot because they had a range indicator that told them exactly where they should stay so they could safely secure a kill and not die because of it. This benefits attackers largely, and makes turrets a little more useless, meaning no longer will people feel safer in turrets if they're up against a champion with a long auto-attack range or ability, because they know the attacker will not make a mistake to go inside turret range, because there's something telling him that if he goes there, the turret will chunk him down to a point where he may not be able to keep pressure if he doesn't heal up again, helping the defender come back from a bad situation and being able to farm up a little.

This change makes playing in lanes significantly easier. LoL is supposed to be (at least it's how I see it) a game that is easy to pick up, which can be done in a few matches, but hard to master. Who doesn't enjoy it when a player of lower skill dives us when we're near our turret and isn't able to do so because they're in range of the turret before they're even able to attack us? Making mistakes and capitalizing on our opponent's mistakes is a huge part of this game, something that would happen fewer times in the laning phase, at least.

I understand this is still being tested on PBE, but this is my feedback on that change. I just hope Riot will reconsider this and also that other players support this opinion so the game isn't much easier to play and not as fun to play.

I'd like to add, I hate the new gold font (when you kill a minion, for instance, and you get gold) because I think it's a step backwards, as the current font is much better-looking.
Also, it may seem extreme, to say Riot will destroy LoL, but I've seen popular games go completely out of fashion because of crazy changes when the games were just fine without them. I wouldn't want LoL to be one of them as I truly enjoy playing it, which is why I took the time to post my feedback, or rant, or anything at all.

Thank you for reading.

nfac Rakuro

10-23-2013

As far as I know the turret indicators will be for Co-Op vs. AI only.

Fluttering

10-23-2013

Oh, really? Wow, I just brewed a storm in a teacup. It's that I was testing whether Zombie Brand would make my fps drop as my pc isn't that good and I read somewhere some people had issues.
Riot never ceases to amaze me. This is actually a great idea! What a waste of time writing this.
The gold font is still pretty bad though.

Thanks mate!

DallyUchiha

10-23-2013

LOL, i love you fluttering x

Fluttering

10-23-2013

Granted, not my best moment. Already got down-voted for derping.

The Rivera

10-24-2013

if it's only vs AI then it's a great idea, but if it goes into ranked scene, then lol might be done for good