Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a tonne of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out Boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Xerath, the Magus Ascendant Rework on PBE Today!

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

GiveMeXerathTy

10-10-2013

WAit...

No offence but did you actually visually designed that ultimate and thought " Oh man the way he ejacualtes tiny water dropplets to his enemy is WAAAAAY cooler then the old Missile Barrage/Heavy artillery/3 massive explosions type of ultimate. His Ultimate now feels SO WRONG. It has nothing to do with artillery nor does it feel powerful.. I literally started laughing when I saw that.... you have to be kidding me right? Are you saying this is in no way reworkable?

I understand that you want to make it look like he is shown similar to a telsa coil or something like waves of energy bolts are extracted from xerath just like he is holding so many of them that he has to "release" few of them just to stay balanced.Well in that case you HAVE to give it another glance(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FY-AS13fl30)... it just looks literally bad and I dont think you think that his ultimate on PBE is visually more appealing then it is on the live xerath..

Also Xelnath being super lazy and using Xerath's taunt( I believe its called a taunt.. ) animation now to become his ultimate animation which just feels so rushed..

Sauce: GiveMeXerathTy

Xelnath

Systems Designer

10-10-2013

Whoa! Thanks guy. This is awesome feedback. Especially the thread that listed out the bugs.

Zenon and I will try to tackle those as we can.

I love the name Stasis Orb - I think I'll use it. Great suggestion

Osamsam

10-10-2013

he dosent have now combo cause hes stun not easy to hit and i dont think u can use it in the middle of ur ult

so he dosent have smove combo

Xelnath

Systems Designer

10-11-2013

Quote:
GiveMeXerathTy:
WAit...

No offence but did you actually visually designed that ultimate and thought " Oh man the way he ejacualtes tiny water dropplets to his enemy is WAAAAAY cooler then the old Missile Barrage/Heavy artillery/3 massive explosions type of ultimate.

It originally fired 30 shots in about 2 seconds. Very cool ability, but was too visually disruptive to work. Agree that if we go with the limited number of shots, we need to convey more power and weight to each blast.

Hiromacu

10-11-2013

Just wanted to ask,why is it called COSMIC strike,and not Arcane strike?I mean,Xerath isn't using cosmic powers(or is he???),I think he is channeling arcane power into one spot(something like an Arcano pulse but from the sky)

Dj0z

10-11-2013

Quote:
Xelnath:
It originally fired 30 shots in about 2 seconds. Very cool ability, but was too visually disruptive to work. Agree that if we go with the limited number of shots, we need to convey more power and weight to each blast.

In that context it makes sense. But yeah when i said "you nailed perfectly", i'm strictly talking about the kit. Pretty much like Jinx's E, i assume the visuals are all works in progress at this point. Xerath's body really seems to be BOILING with power during his ult, that's the best part. Q really looks like a "pulse" thing now too, and the stun lets you guess easily that you really should avoid getting hit by it.

I already pretty much always play my Xerath (nearly since release) with CV and Flash because he can actually make use of that, and Ignite makes no bloody sense on an artillery mage to me, so i particularly appreciate how you gave that "arcane vision tick" upon casting the ultimate (and didn't make it last the whole time too).
I can now use my global range CV to decide whether or not it's worth it to spend the looong cooldown of my basically-global ultimate for a baron steal or last second kill on that fleeing fed Fizz/ADC.

Coballz

10-11-2013

So, as someone who has played Xerath a number of times - until other champions fell better into the meta - I felt like I could chime in on this here rework. I've been anxiously waiting for it, and now it's on PBE... I'm slightly disappointed.

Passive: I like the Magic Pen behind it. Rumours also say that there's a small mana regen thing added to an auto attack, which helps him survive the mana nerfs he got alongside his ability reworks. Name is iffy, as someone on NA said, it's too similar to Syndra's ultimate and hardly seems to resemble his arcane powers.

Arcanopulse: Key to his kit, I love the changes on this, especially since the old Locus of Power was not retained in his current kit, the range increase over time makes up for it.

Cosmic Strike: The skill in itself is cool, it's a means to an end to retain his old ult, but I feel as if the reward for hitting the center is too high, especially combined with the E - which I'll get to later - and not hitting the center makes it really feel like a hit-or-miss skill, which I dislike. Also, about the name... hell to the no. It has zero to do with his arcane background, and it's too bland of a name anyways. Arcane Barrage is just too good a name to put on his ult (which has no barrages now).

Spellsphere: I am really disappointed with this skill, to be quite frank. Somewhere down the spoiler-line, I was told there would be a sniper-thin passthrough skillshot that stunned. This seemed like a really good idea in my opinion, really playing into his hand as a long-range sniper champion. Now this skill is just straight-up underwhelming. While I understand that his old Mage Chains had the same single-target aspect about it, the shift to a more long-range artillery mage makes this ability not fit the kit. And in the same line, the name is too simple again. It's a spell that shoots a sphere... c'mon. If you were to change the ability to the sniper-thin passthrough skillshot, I'd suggest something along the lines of "Esoteric Chains" where the skillshot would be a magical chain whip of sorts. Just throwing it out there.

Ascension: I like the idea, to some extent. I was hoping Xerath would retain the range-increase on his abilities that the old Locus of Power had, but then on an ultimate-cooldown ability. This is not what happened. His ult disables his basic abilities and fires off visually underwhelming blobs with a weird hitbox. Please, return the Locus of Power-aspect of his kit, it was so much fun and so rewarding. It would also make it more important to time your long-range barrages, as opposed to the old W-Q-W combo that the 4 second cooldown on Locus of Power used to bring. And the blobs are straight-up meh. The idea is nice, to have some forme of damage output while your skills are on cooldown, but I dislike the visual part of it, as well as the fact that it's the only thing his ult is about. It's a combination of the old W+R, but then a lot less impactful and appealing. Also, the shots aren't barrages, as someone else already noted. They're more like water, wave-ish thingies. Arcane Torrent seems more fitting if you were to retain it.

Of course, this is just all my opinion, and I'm not expecting you to change it accordingly xD But I would really appreciate some reply of sorts to know what your thoughts behind all of this were.

~Coballz

Dj0z

10-11-2013

Forgot one thing btw: it seemed like after using all 4 casts of R, Xerath automaticaly leaves siege mode. If that's indeed the case (it wass kinda too short for me to accurately tell), i think we should be able to remain in siege mode even without anything left to do, because of the 30% damage reduction.
I mean if Trist, Teemo or Fizz poisoned me, i don't want to have to wait before using my last R cast that would kill them, just because of not wanting to die from losing the % damage reduction.

Cosamuerta

10-11-2013

Xerath feels like a better version of Brand, almost equal stats with high damage and better utility

Jinxed

Recruiter

10-11-2013

I know its a good counter but could his ult see through Graves smoke screen? xD Trying to snipe someone then darkness.Although nocturne's is fine as its an ult for an ult.xD
As for a suggestion of skill names mine would be "Arcanist Smite" or his W