Poppy's rework

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ZENTURIO

06-10-2013

Hey guys!
I have had these rework ideas for poppy's abilities in my head for a while now, revising them over and over again, and decided to finally publish my thoughts. I will display the changed abilities in a "quote", and then define them and share my thoughts in normal print. If anything is unclear or you feel like you can add anything, please let me know in the comments below.

So yeah, here it is:

Valiant Fighter [Passive]

Quote:
After poppy takes damage that exceeds 10% of maximum health, Poppy does not take any damage and is immune to disables for the next 1.5 seconds. If Poppy damages a enemy during the duration of invincibility, the effect stops.

The old passive disabled the purpose of some champions. If you played a single burst champion and got ahead, it seemed a little strange that other champions, who do not specialize on instantly killing, deal more damage than you. This was especially significant in early game, where the game, for burst champions, focuses on getting ahead of others to do more damage; as soon as you exceeded that 10% of Poppy's health with a single spell, the damage output was decreased for a large amount (unless it was true damage). For Poppy players, this caused unreliability in fights and hindered Poppy from building some health early game, or else the effect wouldn't be triggered.

If poppy takes damage that is more than 10% of her health, the attack that did the damage will not be reduced, only the ones following. This means, one burst can do lethal damage to poppy (able to oneshot), but poppy is immune after that for a short period of time. It also replaces the previous ultimate, which doesn't apply a invincibility status anymore.

This new passive includes the reduction of damage that is over 10% of Poppy's health, but also includes the invincibility mechanics of the old R. How? When this effect is tiggered, Poppy is able to walk to any position, without worrying about dieing. Eventhough the effect is not very long, it can be triggered again once the previous effect is over; you take damage in small chunks. PS: This also undoes Poppy's huge nerf that made her unviable, being that one target could ignore the invincibility.

Active: Devastating Strike [Q]
Quote:
Active: Poppy channels for a short time to slam the ground infront of her with her hammer to deal magic damage and apply a slow that decays over time.

The current Poppy requires a little more cc to be a strong pick for your team. However, if an auto-attack reset would have a slow, not only would it be too strong, but also does not fit to the attack.

The new Q is slightly weaker in damage, but applies a slow that decays over time to compensate. The ability hits anyone in a small area right infront of Poppy, in the size of a Karthus Skittle [Q]. The channel time prevents the spell from being a permaslow, as this allows the opponent to dodge the ability.

Leveling the ability increases the base damage of the spell and the slow duration. This lets Poppy and her allies attack all targets hit by the ability for a longer time, and is also Poppy's main damage source. However, the base damage should not increase too much with each level, because the ability scales pretty good with ability power.

The mechanics of the old Q are now in the new W (the aa-reset and extra damage with the next attack).

Battle Rush[W]
Quote:
Active: Poppy's next basic attack deals extra magic damage. Poppy gains increased movement speed until she attacks.

This spell is mainly giving a Tanky Poppy alot more mobility, and a AP Poppy a little more damage to pay up for the lesser damage of her new Devastating Strike [Q]. When she uses this ability she gains a speed buff, like the current W. The difference is that the buff will deactivate once an enemy has been hit. This allows Poppy to chase or to escape, but also opens up more counterplay against Poppy, like kiting her into your team. It is like a mixture between the old Q and W, with less damage and shortened duration, but also much shorter cooldowns.

After using the ability, your next AA deals additional magic damage. This attack + the new Devastating Strike [Q] should be the damage combo, but this ability can also be used to get behind enemies and then use Heroic Charge [E] to move enemies to teammates or under turrets and other bad positions for your enemies to be at. But to make sure a Tanky Poppy does not get excessively strong from this, the spell itself should not have base magic damage, but a scaling of like 30% or 40% of Poppy's ability Power. And so AP Poppy can't play aggressive and defensive at the same time, the effect only lasts for 2 seconds.

Leveling the ability only increases the bonus speed. Poppy is able to engage, chase and escape quicker when the level of the ability increases. Because the cooldown is not as high as other Poppy's other attacks, the speed does not increase much with each level (like 5% per level).

This attack combines the speed buff from the old W with the auto attack reset of the old Q.

Heroic Charge [E]
Quote:
Active: Poppy charges at an enemy and carries them further. The initial impact deals magic damage.

The old ability's stun only triggered when the target collided with terrain. I think this idea was not thought through, as this changed the importance of where to start a teamfight. Eventhough a skilled Player could land the stun often, the new Poppy does not need a stun anymore, because she has enough CC from her new Q and R, plus she can still carry an enemy to another position. The stun was unbalanced because it worked better in some places on the map, than others. By just positioning yourself in a way you can't get knocked against Terrain you can stop her from having any crowd control. In addition, vayne has exactly the same ability already, except it is much more effective because Vayne is able to reposition herself quickly and because it is ranged.

This also changes how the damage is divided. In the old E, the damage was split up in 2 parts: Initial damage and bonus damage when hitting the target against terrain. Now that the second part is removed, the initial damage has to compensate. In the old spell, hitting both "parts" on max level would deal 425 + (80% of ap) magic damage, but only hitting the first part would only do 150 + (40% of ap). One thing the new spell needs to have in common is the weak damage early, because the base damage is low, but better damage late game because it scales nicely with Ability Power.

Leveling this ability should slightly increase base damage of the attack. The main purpose for the ability is to carry an enemy to a certain location, so the base damage must not get increased alot, since the ability Power scales pretty good.

The old E was only tweaked slightly so that the effectiveness of the spell doesn't rely on if the target collides with terrain or not.

Demacian Smash [R]
Quote:
Active: Poppy leaps into the air and smashes the target location with her hammer. All enemies Poppy lands on are rooted for 1 second and Poppy does increased damage to those targets for a few seconds.

This is Poppy's new speciality, with range and area of effect similar to Tristan's jump. The difference between Rocket Jump and this, is the little added cc and the increased damage on the target for a short time. But because of the different ways this ability can be used and how this ability can be combined with Poppy's other attacks, its very unique. There are alot of purposes to this spell, including an engage (and then seperate an enemy with Heroic Charge [E]), to gank when playing jungle poppy, to finish off enemies, or to be able to hit many targets at once with your Devastating Strike [Q]. This ability is very important no matter what role you play Poppy in.

Like the old ultimate, every other attack deals more damage after this ability. What was very annoying with the old ultimate was that as soon as you killed the target you deal more damage to, the ultimate immediately cancelled. Not only were you vulnerable then, but you were also significantly weaker against others. The new ability can hit multiple Targets now, so it is even possible to switch focus while fighting. However, because this ultimate is a skillshot similar to tristana's jump, you can miss the targets as well, and then you don't deal any increased damage.

Leveling this abilitty increases the initial damage by pretty much, and also increases the bonus damage dealt to the targets by 10% each level (like currently).

The immunity from the old ultimate got placed into the passive: lowered in duration but affects all enemies in return. The bonus damage towards certain targets is still remained in the ultimate.

Overall, these abilities better support Tank and Jungle Poppy. Poppy is more mobile, fitting more to her type of character, and unpredictable. Eventhough everything was overworked, the things we liked the most can still be found, but in more exciting ways(like in the new passive). I think players will have alot of fun with the new abilities and enjoy the variety this champion brings.

Thanks for reading! If you like these ideas, I would be glad if you click the Thumbs Up icon below. I'm sure that Riot will look at this when the thread has many likes, so try to convince as many people as you can! Also, dont forget to comment your ideas for improvement!

Patch notes:
-added Battle Rush [W]
-now explains abilities better
-deleted annoying Questions
-fixed typo
-revised ending
-added "Leveling the ability..." to each spell
-added sections that explain how the old spell is still present

Riximus

06-10-2013

Dont make her a bruiser. Please.
I play her like an assassin.
I'm against a rework. But I know they wantbto rework her, so I enjoy every moment.

Back to the topic.
Passive seems... "okay" dunno something is missing.

Q. No please. No Olaf style. I like her AA attack that procs.

W. I have an idea, or similar. Make her still that fast yordle that she is. I trust you

E. I dont have troubles landing that stun. Begin can be hard, but if you play her more you can land the most stuns. This should stay.

R. No amumu, kennen, zyra etc ulti. She needs something unique. I like her ulti now.

Keep up the ideas. I cant go around with the rework :/ I will miss this Poppy. I finally feel with the Old Karma players ou there.

ZENTURIO

06-10-2013

thankyou for your feedback, im glad you shared your oppinion !
I understand your concerns and will try to improve
Also: thanks for letting me know that the Ultimate was a little unclear. I actually meant it to be like a tristana Rocket Jump ^^

ZENTURIO

07-10-2013

Push

Markus Vakarian

08-10-2013

too many changes,sorry but i don't like.
This Champions won't be Poppy anymore.You deleted her ulti and also devastating blow. The abilities you added are nothing special

i recently thought about a rework but without many changes

What do i think Poppy needs?
Better farm
Better threat in lane (only 1 real damaging ability that is good only when HP is high)
Base stats changes (see below)

Why doesn't Riot buff her?
Her Late game is strong
Her ulti offers low conterplay

BASE STATS
HP 450 (+87) from 423 (+81) total 2016 from 1881
Armor 20 (+3.4) from 18 (+4) total 81.2 from 90
MR add +1.25 per level like all the others Melee bruisers and assassins (no Jayce but he has bonus MR in Melee form)

DEVASTATING BLOW
This spell could remain as it is,but a change could be a buff for early game
Flat Damage 40/55/70/85/100 from 20/40/60/80/100

PARAGON OF DEMACIA
Deleted
NEW ABILITY
Passive: Poppy's auto attacks and Devastating Blow applies a mark on the the enemies.
Poppy's smash the ground dealing aoe damage (radius and damage must be balanced during tests) and knocking back enemies marked. More marks and enemy has farther he will be rejected (1 mark = 150 range....max 5 marks)
1)This ability helps farm due to its splash damage
2)This ability add a disangage for Poppy,since i removed (or better moved) speed boost.
3)This ability offers counterplay by enemies because to reach the max range (750) Poppy must hit the nemy 5 times. Not like Jayce's Thundering Blow.

HEROIC CHARGE
It's ok

DIPLOMATIC IMMUNITY
This abilty is what makes Poppy Poppy,together with her passive,so i won't change its mechanics but i'll give more counterplay
Passive (moved from old PARAGON OF DEMACIA):Poppy gains 10/20/30 Attack Damage and Armor
Poppy focuses intensely on a single enemy champion, dealing amplified damage to him, and becoming immune to all damage that is not from the marked champion.During this time Poppy also gains bonus movement speed (25%...same as last rank of PARAGON OF DEMACIA)
Duration incread from 6/7/8 to 8/10/12
-Removing the defense against CC now she can be stunned, feared, snared or slowed
-Duration is increased to allow poppy to have the possibility to not wast her ulti under enenemy's CC
-Even with this extended duration it will be much harder for her to reach the target and fight it to death because CC can help the target to escape and repositioning,but it's also true that enemies must spend their CC on Poppy. So it's just a matter of choice for the enemy team.

With these changes her gameplay will remain the same
Of course i'll prefer and AD ration on her abilities but with damage changing in physical you would need more penetration (Armors are always higher than MR unless you have a team with all AP champions) so the damage will stille be almost the same

PARAGON OF DEMACIA has been moved to DIPLOMATIC IMMUNITY with some nerf and i just added a new ability for farm plus a unique mechanism for disengage.

Markus Vakarian

08-10-2013

Well Poppy is balanced for her damage and gameplay (not for Magic Resist.....i will insist on this) so if i buff something i must nerf something else.
Poppy can't be CCed with her ulti on now....only the one with her ulti on can.

Also you must think that it's a team game.
If they Have Taric + Maokai + Nasus + APC and ADC...you will like to use ulti on Taric (if you are not so fed...if you are you can ulti the adc and duel him).Taric can stun you,Nasus can slow you,Maokai can root you.Your ulti is wasted but you know what?? Your adc and apc will be free to fight while your team (Leona + nautilus) can use CC on theri APC and ADC.

The loss of speed boost is compensate by the disengage. Maybe in ganks you will be weaker because you can't fight 2 at the same time to apply marks on both;but this is true only until lvl6

Also..i didn't want to lose AD and Armor bonus and new W has already its own passive.

I have not the copyright,but would be nice if you can write something like "from an idea of ...."

Cina3d

08-10-2013

i belive Zekent will disagree with you.

ZENTURIO

08-10-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cina3d View Post
i belive Zekent will disagree with you.
i wish somebody would ask Zekent what he thinks about these reworks ^^

ForeverShining

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-10-2013

I swear if they touch her Passive in the slightest I will quit this game...
They really should just do a Visual Upgrade on her! Who cares about competetive, this is the one champion that I don't even want to see in competetive play... just please leave her skills how they are right now...

Riximus

09-10-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverShining View Post
I swear if they touch her Passive in the slightest I will quit this game...
They really should just do a Visual Upgrade on her! Who cares about competetive, this is the one champion that I don't even want to see in competetive play... just please leave her skills how they are right now...
FINALLY one understands me. But we cant do anything. The Poppy-Lovers are not many.
She will be like Karma, awesome and underrated before rework and after, overrated and boring.