Counter Irelia

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Miff Oh Man

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-03-2011

So for very long I've tried to find a good way to counter Irelia and mostly nothing seems to work. Cc's works like ****, she keeps dashing herself like an Akali ulti, focus her down first doesn't help much since she's strong like a full geared tank almost so my team mostly getting killed by other while we killing just Irelia. Thornmail doesn't even help a **** since she got plenty of lifesteal...
So please mates, how shall I counter her good?

EDIT: I'm takling about those good Irelia players out there, I'm sure you know about them. ^^

Achikili

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-03-2011

prevent her farming early game. a farmed irelia is really hard to counter. i main irelia and in the games i can farm easy at laning phase i know im gonna win unless my team are complete retards but when i get zoned out i cant do much at all

Roger Waters

10-03-2011

I've been playing HotShotGG's build with Irelia (yeah, lame, but it works), and I've found it to be quite powerful, and hard to counter.

First and foremost, you have to consider 2 things about her.

1) Harassing-wise, she'll Q (dash) and E (small nuke) you like hell, or she'll just E you if you try and lane close to her, and you can't do much about it. And I usually walk away unharmed since she does this unexpectedly, while having ~100MR/Armor and a built-in-lifesteal.
2) Nuking-wise, she'll Q, E (even W) R you to oblivion, regaining most of her life while doing this. There's really no stopping this move, unless you stun/silence/suppress/whatever her (the same applies for any champion, obviously).

Now, by the time I had this all figured out, it also struck me that it ain't that hard to foresee what's gonna happen when you see an Irelia. Her passive might disable most CC's, she might be tough as nails, and she may burst you like hell.

But I will say this: if you're facing a Trinity+Mercs+HoGold+SVisage+Wits End+BThirster (or similar) Irelia, countering with Attack Speed+AD+Lifesteal owns her pretty good. AP/Hybrid-based builds don't seem to be much of a problem for her.

Imo, HP/AD/AS/LS-based champs/builds are her death. Nuking her also works, but again, that goes for any champ. But if you take a properly build Jax/Ww/Olaf, and decide on giving up on building them HP/AD, sacrificing survivability to disable her properly, you'll be fine.

Also, avoid having more HP than her, if you're thinking about being anywhere near her (no need for an explanation there eh?).

Hemming

10-03-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Waters View Post
if you take a properly build Jax/Ww/Olaf,
Well ofcourse they work, they were made to counter and takeout carries and chase to death, Irelia was too kinda but more oriented on anti-tank and mage.

Roger Waters

10-03-2011

Yeap, so my advice is, if you're playing ranked, plan before-hand and crush her by disabling her with a proper pick.

Aquarrius

10-03-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achikili View Post
prevent her farming early game. a farmed irelia is really hard to counter. i main irelia and in the games i can farm easy at laning phase i know im gonna win unless my team are complete retards but when i get zoned out i cant do much at all
i really like that. it pretty much sums her current state.

"Dont let her farm or you will lose unless she is playing with retards. "

inb4 someone understands what i mean and gives me -1000!

Achikili

10-03-2011

most carries when well fed are unstoppable

Aquarrius

10-03-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achikili View Post
most carries when well fed are unstoppable
i get the feeling irelia is a bit stronger at surviving compared to other carries (even melee carries) because of her skills+passive, and her survivability+carrying as a total seems slightly higher than it should.

Only Riot knows if she is stronger than she should or not.. but since they dont share their data a (perhaps) deserved readjastment of her skills might take more than it should.

I dont blame them though for something so small, they are much better than other companies.

Apdarooki

10-03-2011

U cant stop irelia farming at solo top if she has a small brain.
u cant counter her as good as any other carrys.
high surv. high healing. kinda cc immune.

want to counter her? kk- ban her.

ElRavager

10-03-2011

Well, lets see

Gank her if you can before she is lvl 6. After lvl 6, don't attack her if she has a lot of minions to R for full health. Much like Mundo, Irelia can use low HP to her advantage to lure you into overextending in hopes of a kill, only to turn the tables on you.

harass her and deny her her farm. She is full melee and her Q does not have a very long range, so casters like Anni, Malz and so on, or ranged AD carries should be able to harass her pretty well. You can't be complacent against her in the early game, or she will get her farm too early.

When ganking, make sure to not come at her in a way that allows her to use one of you to flee. She can Q to any one of you, so its better to stun her, then close the distance then to try to surround her only to have her jump to one guy and have the rest of the gank far enough away to not matter for the moment.

Ignite counters her ult pretty handily and you should use it on her if you have it. Getting (and using) an executioners calling could also be worth it.

With her normal build of Triforce+Tank items, a lot of her damage is true damage. If you die to her, getting more HP is often preferable to getting more armor.

Don't use all of your skills on her as she closes in on you, she will just be lower HP % then you and be able to stun. Keep her at a higher HP % then your own until you can nuke her to death. Her damage is very predictable early/mid game when she will not have a high crit chance. This is of course risky, but if she has to hold back her stun, or maybe uses it to slow, you just got a much better chance to kill her or escape from her.

If possible, time ganks to when she has just used her ult (e.g. to farm a huge minion wave). Not that easy because the cooldown is low, but doable if you anticipate a bit.

In a teamfight, if its early/mid game, focus her and kill her. She is not yet tanky at that stage.