AP amumu viable?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

PutBoy

08-03-2011

Yeah, you heard me. I've been going 2 games with this so far and yeah. I don't know ;P

Thing is, amumu is my main, and I do well with him both jungle and lane (and solo lane for that matter), and I thought about trying something different.

I figure masteries 9/21 and some tanky runes dodge yellow, mre/lvl blue, hp quints and magic pen reds.

For items go RoA, soccer boots, meija, abyssal, rylai, evil tome and a sunfire cape. Doran's ring seems to provide all the mana reg you'll ever need until you get the evil tome, so def ring for starter item. Rylai I figure is good for the slow and the hp. All in all this is acctually quite a tanky build, and you'll have no problem stacking your soulstealer.

Have anyone tried it?

The Jannitor

08-03-2011

yes

PutBoy

09-03-2011

Played three games AP. It's not viable.

Stetto

09-03-2011

I'm frequently building AP with Amumu, but only to give them a reason to attack me instead of my team.
I'm usually building: Cloth Armor, Heart of Gold, Sunfire Cape, Abyssal Scepter.
If I'm getting fed or they're ignoring me too much, I'll buy Zhonya's Hourglass or Rylai's Scepter.
But most of the time, I'm forced to buy either Aegis, Frozen Heart or Force of Nature instead.

It's defenitely a fun-build, as long as you still build very tanky.
But you NEED at least two of the following things:

1. jungling AND ganking succesfully
2. arranged team, that is built to support AP-amumu
3. stupid enemies

Maybe you can build him less tanky, than I do, but if you build him without tank items at all, you're just getting yourself killed.
Mejai's Soulstealer is already situational and questionable for most casters and it is defenitely a no-go for Amumu, because you're getting focused too easily with him.
Any halfway decent team will rape you, if you get Mejai's on Amumu, because you've just spent more than 1000 gold on something that neither offers a noticeable amount of AP, nor defensive stats.

Výmes

09-03-2011

Stetto. Wouldn't Zhongya kinda make it harder to tank?

Meaning they cant target you so they'll start attacking the mates you're supose to soak up damage for?

Aeonymous

09-03-2011

viable only in low ranked games, aka <1100

Voluge

10-03-2011

Tbh it can be reconsidered viable if you got 1 tank that can manage to tank without the need of a proper initiation or atleast some very good support at your side, to make it extra effective you require to have some half decent aoe at your side, as AP Amumu your build must, "Must!" consist of atleast 2 hybrid items with survivability as their main priority. Good examples can be RoA and Abyssal scepter, Rylai's can be welcomed aswell if you require an slow and not extra mana (mana can be usefull for hp5 if you got the defensive mastery, mostly to increase lanning power). 1 armor item can be reconsidered necessary if you want to survive your own initiation without dying (yes AP amumu will still make the initiation but require the whole team behind for best result), FH is viable for that sole reason + for its cdr.

You can also reconsider having ap/lvl runes because AP amumu don't have much ap early game however he can be effective mid-late game in terms of damage output. 100 ap is about 1% extra at despair, 150. 180 or so gives a total of 2% to despair, yes despair becomes more of an anti health weapon which got great sync with the ult.

Conclusion. Harder to pull off, reconsidered an lol build for most people therefor you'll most of the time need to say you're playing AP otherwise it can be an possible loss without any tank, lanning is acceptable, Bandage toss>w/e when it comes to harassing and lane dominance, can't stay around as long as tank amumu therefor hit and run, except when you decide to tear your opponent appart with pure agony. A crying Mummy oftenly gets focused whether they tank or not, which forces you to get some survivability.

Long story short, nothing for a beginner to do, harder to pull off.

RootsRockRiot

10-03-2011

pure AP would be retarded as every single spell requires amumu standing in the middle of nasty teamfights. going tank, but throwing a rylai's in when you can afford it (a.k.a. you get fed or you don't have problems to survive). abyssal scepter is also nice if your team is quite AP heavy. I prefer rylai's though for AOE permaslow. one of these is usually my only AP item, if the game lasts long you can go for both maybe.

midnight illusio

10-03-2011

I have only seen it done once, and it worked very well. However, he was the only tank on their team and seeing him go AP took us all by surprise. IMO, it is no more powerful than any other AP champ, and he is much better as a tank.

Recruiter

10-03-2011

jhvkghv