Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a tonne of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out Boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Champion Suggestion Forum Guidelines

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Cavalry Bear

Community Programs Intern

08-29-2013

Hello summoners and welcome to the Champion Suggestion forum!

This forum is meant as a creative outlet for people to design their own, non-existing champions and items for the game.

• If you have a suggestion for an existing champion or item, please post a thread in Champion and Item Feedback (http://euw.leagueoflegends.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=7).
  • If you want a suggestion on what champion or skin to buy, please try the General Discussion (http://euw.leagueoflegends.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=2) forum, since the thread you're in now is meant for Fan Creations.

As a way to help you start designing your own champion, here are a few tips:

[1] Start with a core idea: a story / mechanic / look / skill that defines your champion.
[2] Determine it's role. Give it a rating on defense/attack/spells/difficulty as with the released champions for a quick overview.
[3] Balance the Crowd Control, Damage, Survivability aspects of your champion according to it's role. You can use existing champions as a guideline for your numbers.
[4] Think about playing with or against your champion: is it fun or will people be very frustrated?
[5] Give it a name and post your thread with the [Champion Suggestion] tag. Write your post in an organised manner, explaining the skills and role, and eventually everything else you come up with (quotes, lore, visuals)

If you're done, review other people's champions and ask them to review yours. This keeps the community healthy and gives you constructive criticism back to improve your champion. The quick overview from RiotAmes is quoted below or can be found here. (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?p=21184576#post21184576)

Quote:
RiotAmes:
My opinion is that numbers change a lot over the course of designing a champion, so save them for when you've solved your other design concerns. My usual approach to champion creation is:

1) Come up with a core thematic.
2) Develop a character(not champion) around that thematic.
3) Analyze whether that character makes sense in the world of League of Legends.
4) Determine what role in the game the character best fits. If there is no fit, re-analyze the character.
5) Search for or create art that creates a compelling visual for my character. Often, this entails multiple, different pieces of art that explain my idea.
5) Begin to flesh out the character as a champion.
6) Explore the new champion's Lore. Where is he/she from? Why do they want to join the league?
7) Analyze the results of 6. Are those compelling reasons? Would the League accept such a champion?
8) Begin to flesh out a kit. No numbers at this phase.
9) Try to do a mental play through of a game utilizing that kit. How does the champion lane or jungle? What do they contribute to team fights? Are they fun to play as? Play against? Mirror lane?
10) If the 'game' goes well, potentially attach some numbers to it to better explain how I expect the champion to perform. If it goes poorly, return to 8.
11) Shop the idea around to some friends or coworkers and get their feedback. Incorporate it where needed.
12) Polish, polish, polish.

And that's pretty much it. Many people start from the 'what makes a cool champion' part, but fail to work backwards. I think that you need to have a good character before you can have a successful champion. Think about it: How hard is it to take an existing character and turn it into a champion? Imagine your favorite character from another game, comic, or movie. Could you make a kit for them? Would that be a compelling champion in LoL? Making a great character is probably the real challenge. Not to say that a good kit isn't hard either- just that you can attach an amazing kit to a boring character and still fail. An amazing character with a boring kit will probably still get played and talked about, though.

Another good resource is SubjectSeven's very extensive but perfect and awesome guide! (http://forums.euw.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=604116)

If you make multiple champions, it might be a good idea to put them together in an index. Please make sure you title all non-champion suggestion threads correctly!

Thanks for reading, and have a nice time on the forum!

PS: Many thanks go to SubjectSeven for being awesome in this board for a long, long time! Kudos to you good sir! I used your post and made very slight modifications and put it up here, with a red post for more visibility, thank you!

Lynléire

08-29-2013

I've always wanted to try my hand at making a champion. Needs a looooot of thinking though.
Woohoo for these forums anyway, I'm gonna keep this bookmarked...

Dragkor

Recruiter

08-29-2013

I think there are Hundreds of people with great idea's for champions out there!

I can't wait to see what they come up with!

SubjectSeven

08-29-2013

Thank you so much for listening to my pleas as well! You guys rock!
The forum name and description is still quite misleading, but at least people will (hopefully) read this post and Zennyo Ryuo and others won't have to redirect a hundred people per day Kudos to them as well!

Aregionius

Senior Wrenchman

08-29-2013

No problem Subject, glad we could get everything worked out.

FrostEarthFire

08-29-2013

So I am a bit confused. Completed champion suggestions to be posted as threads on the forum, then placed here, or is there another place to do so?

Lupusam

08-29-2013

Post Champion suggestions as threads in this forum, not as posts in this thread, it makes it much easier to find and comment on a concept if it has its own thread then if it's stuck halfway through the sticky thread.

I note though that this thread is still marked "All discussion around Champions and Items here." on the Forum page, can that be worded to specify Fan-Created content?

Itzzaboy

08-31-2013

This is nothing but good news for this forum section, although until the description is changed I still think we'll be redirecting people :P

Sendo no Mai

09-01-2013

\(°o°)/ oh lurd the day has arrived, no more useless stickies \(°o°)/

50Phoenix

09-01-2013

DOTA 2 IS BETTER!!!!