Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a tonne of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out Boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Changing the Free Champion Rotations

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

RiotChris

Director of Publishing

03-01-2011

Summoners,

Zileas and I have been discussing changing up the way we do the 10 free champions every week slightly. The goals will remain the same, but we'd like to change the mix of Champions to be more reflective of how people actually play.

Champion Rotation Goals
1) Give new players some simple Champions to play
2) Provide a balance of types of Champions for new players
-- This allows new players to make balanced teams
3) Allow players to preview all Champions eventually

(For more info on how we pick the Champions, click here (http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=46045))

For those of you that used to look at the charts we used to post with the rotations, you could see that we broke down the Champions into 5 types, and in general tried to have 2 of each type:

Old Types:

• Melee DPS
  • Ranged DPS
  • Mage
  • Tank
  • Support

We're going to transition to types that more accurately reflect Champions in-game roles:

New Types:
  • Fighter
  • Melee DPS
  • Ranged DPS
  • Mage
  • Tank
  • Support

A Fighter is a damage dealer with a little survivability.

We also noticed a pattern, where support characters are not as often played (also, many of you noted we included Zilean in the rotations way too often). Players in general, and new players in particular, were more likely to play fighters or Melee DPS characters. As a result, we're changing the rotations to give players more of what they want, and less of what they don't.

Our new rotations will typically (but not always) have:
  • 1 or 2 Fighters
  • 1 or 2 Melee DPS
  • 2 Ranged DPS
  • 2 Mages
  • 2 Tanks
  • 1 Support

For a total of 10 Champions as usual.

Let me know what you think of the shift, and if you have better ideas (that don't involve feature work so we can keep the feature team focused on cool new game play stuff).

- RiotChris

Fudanshi

Recruiter

03-01-2011

Amusing....but i would like to see less 450 champs in the rotation

PowerChicken

03-01-2011

"A Fighter is a damage dealer with a little survivability."

Blitzcrank - Fighter?!?!

Lolwat?

EDIT: You might want to rephrase "a little survivability," I thought you meant they had little survivability.

Fudanshi

Recruiter

03-01-2011

Quote:
PowerChicken:
Blitzcrank - Fighter?!?!

Fail...

Sjaffie

03-01-2011

Yea agree, everyone already got their 450 IP champions even lvl 1-5 won't need those because if you play 4 games you have the IP to buy a 450 champion.

Nudisto Beach

03-01-2011

Quote:
WaterigDrolletje:
Yea agree, everyone already got their 450 IP champions even lvl 1-5 won't need those because if you play 4 games you have the IP to buy a 450 champion.

One battle training gives you enough for one.

Isslair

03-01-2011

I want to see Vlad, Kennen, Kog'maw, Twitch in rotation (not simultaneously). Pretty please? Never saw them as free champs =\

AlexNightwalker

03-01-2011

Sion - Tank, trololol

oh wait its old classification. xD

Kaiseresc

03-01-2011

sorry but, "A Fighter is a damage dealer with a little survivability." so how does a guy like Blitz, Mundo, Nunu or Nasus fit here exactly? they have lots of survivability. And Kayle is not support, could pretty much be a Fighter. And Morgana seems more like a mage, since Heimer also is.

its a very good idea, actually, it helps the game flow for the new people, and it can still be good test drives for other players.
its also productive for the "special spot", when a team needs a specific type of champ to fill a spot, so someone can just use the one in the rotation.

Xenasis

03-01-2011

Quote:
PowerChicken:

Blitzcrank - Fighter?!?!

Lolwat?

EDIT: You might want to rephrase "a little survivability," I thought you meant they had little survivability.

Same...

I saw Mundo there and I was so confused!