A strategy guide - The best champion combinations...

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Wik Zhalifa

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-07-2010

So I want to present you the possibilities on how to build up the strongest teams...the different team types (cc offensive team, support defensive teams, support offensive teams and so on).

I will describe the jobs of champions in the team for example Ezreal as match maker, Alistar Carry etc...

Every Sunday I will write a new team here in and you are able to discuse it imrpove it and critize it.

Here is a list of the most common types of teambuilds:
Basic
Aggro (3+ offensive champs)
Passive (1 offensive champ)
Wildcard (1 jungler 1 wildcard)
Healer (3+ healer/support)
Offensive/Defensive Team (2 tanks (1carry), 2 dps (1 carry), 1 support)
Stancer (Carry Team)
Crowd Control (5 cc)
Aoe Burst (3+ Burst)
Single Target Burst (3+ Burst)
Map Control (Warding, Ganking, Carriying)
Pressure (5 offensive champs with one offensive support and one offensive tank)
Ganking n Pushing (Ganking, Assasin, Map Control)
1-3-1 (2 Wildcard)
Backroot (Teleport, Flash, Speed)
Mastercarry (1 Wildcard, 4 Carry)

Most used teams:
1. Stancer
2. Wildcard
3. Aggro
4. Pressure
5. Single Target/Aoe Burst

In my opinion best teams:
1. Stancer
2. Crowd Control
3. Map Control
4. Aggro
5. Single Target/Aoe Burst

Why is a Wildcard team a fail?
That's what makes the high elo out. The game experience to counter Wildcards.
Topic is coming soon.

So let's just beginn it.

Today I want to present you a basic team build.
Most people I play in solo queue therefore don't know on how to build a team so I have to dodge...and **** this is just annoying me.

A basic team wins in most of cases just becouse they are overpowered.
A basic team consists of 4 team based champions and one solo champion who isnt believed to play in teams.

I will use the standart terms: Carry, Tank, Support, CC, Damage Dealer (1 = Caster, 2 = Ranged dps, 3 = Jungler, 4 = Melee Dps, 5 = Hybrid based dps)

Carry: Also known as a matchmaker based on build.
They "carry" the match, means they have mostly control of the game, and the team is dependend on them.
I will call an example for it.
- Ashe: A basic known carry. She is a perfect damage dealer and the perfect initiator, also an offensive support with her ulti. She is mostly played in mid - since she is strong she is able to win mid very fast and gain fast levels.
She can support the side lanes with her ultimate and also if it comes to teamfights she is able to initate them and lower the life of the enemys in a simple combo very fast, which makes her the supreme damage dealer.
The only problem is when she gets focused - an important member of the team falls and proberbly this could lead to a loss in a teamfight.
The carry is suposed to place wards and gain map control with them.
Its important for ashe since she can look out and place her ulti right, or even better.
Ashe as matchmaker makes her pinging important situations and initating to strategically moves. If a good ashe is playing or a good carry, you shall listen him/her as matchmaker.

Tank: The best tanks are able to initate fights based in frontal confrontations.
They simply run in and take the first hard damage and aoe damage.
If the tank is good and the enemys have a lot of caster and cc the first spells will be used on the tank as soon as he is front, in ahrd situations he gets ignored.
but the best would be if the enemys use up the spells on the tank and as soon as their important spells are on cd the team strikes.
A tank is also able to carry auren and makes him an "aura carry" an underling of the normal Carry.

Support: support are supposed to stay back and help their teams with casting buffs or healing.
Supports are meant to build on their abilities to make them stronger.
Offensive Casters are able to carry auren and initate fights, also they are able to raise your teamfight ability and make it able to win a fight fast.
They are supportive carrys for example Alistar.
Defensive Supporter like Soraka are able to just heal their team and making it unable to break trough the tanks.
Also she supports ganking very well.

CC: Their job is very important and after an initated fight its their first job to make an great influence on the enemys. CC's abilities are stuns, slows, silence and fears.
The more cc the more offensive strenth you do have.
There are several sorts of CC:
Hard CC: 2 out of four abilities are able to influence the enemys by slow or stun or so.
They stack their abilities with items to improve them.
For example a fiddle sticks with rylais sceptre or frozen heart or randuins omen.
Low CC: They have 1 out of four abilities to influence the enemys.
Mostly the are able to take enemys one on one.
Examples here are carrys like Tristana. Or DD's like Morgana and Warwick.

DD: DD aka Damage Dealer are great disturber.
They use their abilities to make enemys flee and push tower fast.
Champions like Pantheon are able to take out any champion very fast, altough champions like Mordekaiser are able to run in and take out single targets while beeing for eample at tower.
A casters job is making a huge amount of damage as nuke (single target high damage) or AoE (Area damage), another damage type is the DoT (Damage over Time, like Malzahar or fiddle use it).
Ranged dps are simply auto attacker, pushing up their auto attack to simply fire out a lot of damage on single targets and buildings.
Melee dps are used to go after an succesfully CC of the enemys team to take the kills and lead the team on.
Hybrids are situative based and are able to tank and strike or cast and strike.

Its the first thing you shall know basically about how to use your vocation.
Correct me if i forgot anything.

Wik Zhalifa

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-07-2010

The first team combination:

Tanks: 2
Carry: 2
Supports : 2
CC : 2
DD : 1

As you see there are more vocations than champions, which makes champions duo or even more than that useable:
For example Alistar:
He is a tank, a support and a cc in one - wow!
But today I'm not working wth Alistar as example based on high tier list I'm using the strongest champs to simulate an extremly strong team.
This team will be a pretty offensive team, with a backup support.
Members:
Shen, Amumu, Soraka, Tristana, Ezreal

Laning:
Shen + Ezreal
Amumu + Soraka
Tristana

Building:
Shen - HP and enemys based Armor or MR. Aura: Aegis.
Ezreal - AP or AD
Amumu - HP and enemys based Armor or MR or Magic Pen
Soraka - Aura and AP
Tristana - Asp AD Lifeleech.

Gameplay:
With your laning combinations you have one defensive lane without carry (Amumu and Soraka) and an offensive carry lane with your matchmaker Ezreal. Tristana mid as a perfect 1 vs 1 one champion makes the mid enemy debuffed against your team.
Amumu + Soraka:
Laning is simple by holding the lane between both towers and creeping.
Trying to hold your HP and Mana up wisely and with the help of Soraka Amumu is able to nuke a single target on a special moment and take a uper hand for a second.
Amumu is able to leave the lane for a short time to jungle and farm the dragon.
Shen + Ezreal:
With the tankability of Shen, Ezreal is save and can sneak easily on the frunt to burst (masive nuke, damage combo) the enemy.
With a good combination of summoner spells, Exhaust, Heal and Ignite you are able to take down an enemys fast and go on creeping on the lane or jungle even.
Tristana:
Playing a combination of offensive (jumping and nuking) and defensive (creeping tower nearly) makes her dangerous and one of the most feard mid champs.
When she won a fight she is able to gank one of the lanes or go around and place wards at golem, lizard and other angle points.
I prefer Shen and Ez top and Amumu and Soraka bot (near dragon).

Initating the first teamfight:
As soon as the top lane made their first kills and shen is six he shall use his ultimate to rush the bottom lane fast and take down the tower there if not done. If tristana placed some wards wisely on the way to bot you are able to time the enemys upcoming.
Tristana shall also move fast down in time and ignore the mid lane for a short time.
If the enemys are celver they will abandon their lanes and fight you.
Even if the have higher levels or score one kill more than you youare able to win, as shen is six amumu shall also be six and after winning the upper hand you are simply unbeatable.
Shen is able to iniate right with his shadow dash also Amumus Tandrem + Ulti is able to Initate a team supreme and also give a lot of CC, the Support of Soraka makes both tanks unable to die and the massive damage of Ezreal and Tristana after succesfully initate makes the enemys die in a moment.
After you succesfully won 2-3 teamfights and pushed the first tower line, you are able to take nashor and make a final push.
If Soraka carrys an Soul Shroud, Amumu and the DD are able to constantly pull out the teamfights.
Its wise to let both golems for Soraka/Amumu.
And both Lizards for Ezreal/Tristana.

just take care of enemys CC after Initating, Tristana shall pull her Ulti to push most enemys back and Soraka shall heal the tanks up. After uccesfully push back and beeing out of danger initate again.
With the help of shen and Amumu Soraka shall be practically untouchable.
Just take care of the enemys Pantheon or Gangplank. Its wise to buy survivability on Soraka (Rylais, Banshees) if you fight against them.

Hae fun with this team combination and GG.

Next Sunday I'm going to post a new team combination and another example of a basic team.

Puschel the Soft

04-07-2010

Hi! I haven't read it all but a few things just don't seem right.
1. Ali is NO CARRY. period. he can be a tank/cc/support, or a nuker with good survivability/cc.
2. When Soraka and Amumu lane it is a pretty bad idea to have amumu leave and let soraka defend alone. Any potent opponents will push the tower meanwhile.
3.Tristana solo mid is also pretty risky. At 1/3 of the games at max she will dominate and really boost ur teams strength. Roughly 50% of the games she will get killed 2-3 times during laning phase though and screw up the whole game.
4.A team with 2 tanks and a healer is no offensive team. I'm not saying it's bad or anything, but offensive would be 4-5 dds/nukers and 0-1 tanks =P (please don't use 5 dd teams, they suck)
5.Imho aspd is a ****ty way to build tristana. She has a skill that greatly boosts her aspd already, she has the passive that makes single harassment shots easy and rather low base dmg. So why not go for damage instead? (Or even better a mix of damage plus aspd/crit/armor pen/armor reduce).

Except for that nice idea to help out with team setups! Many people fight lost battles because they chose a ****ty setup!

Wik Zhalifa

04-07-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puschel the Soft View Post
Hi! I haven't read it all but a few things just don't seem right.
1. Ali is NO CARRY. period. he can be a tank/cc/support, or a nuker with good survivability/cc.
2. When Soraka and Amumu lane it is a pretty bad idea to have amumu leave and let soraka defend alone. Any potent opponents will push the tower meanwhile.
3.Tristana solo mid is also pretty risky. At 1/3 of the games at max she will dominate and really boost ur teams strength. Roughly 50% of the games she will get killed 2-3 times during laning phase though and screw up the whole game.
4.A team with 2 tanks and a healer is no offensive team. I'm not saying it's bad or anything, but offensive would be 4-5 dds/nukers and 0-1 tanks =P (please don't use 5 dd teams, they suck)
5.Imho aspd is a ****ty way to build tristana. She has a skill that greatly boosts her aspd already, she has the passive that makes single harassment shots easy and rather low base dmg. So why not go for damage instead? (Or even better a mix of damage plus aspd/crit/armor pen/armor reduce).

Except for that nice idea to help out with team setups! Many people fight lost battles because they chose a ****ty setup!

Alistar is a carry, he isn'T described but he is a really good teammate and LEADS teamfights to win since h can initate great, leading teamfights to win means also beeing carry, also having auren and buffing your team mates also leads the game to win.
So in a way he is a carry.
Have you ever seen a well played Tristana on mid and a well ganking Tristana? Then you missed the best part in LoL.
Well playing Tristana on asp is only played when you go for her nukes on early.
Starks Favour and Last Whisper are the best choice in the asp/ad build.
Later Crit like Phantom Dancer and I.E. and you have an unstopable Tristana.
Also a phage is doing great so with the help of her asp she can slow everyone for instances...
Just my opinion.

You also stated that this isn't an offensive team.
Yeah it's not an 100%ly offensive type of team.
But as I said I present basic team builds first.
As I said as long your team has mana f.E. by Sorakas Spell or an aura you are able to push till the bitter end, you are able to initiate very often becouse of Amumu and Shen, and both are evry tought champs.
Your teams gives also an good option to switch from a offensive stance to a defensive stance becouse of Tristana. I will come to the point later.
But also you are able to switch from a defensive stance to an offensive stance.
As Ezreal beeing a matchmaler he can carry the heal spell and make your team going forward after a battle...
If you look from that persepective you are able to use this team as an offensive team very well.

About the Amumu and Soraka issue, well its hard to hold a lane against two for Soraka.
But Soraka at tower is also a fair trick healing herself up and muting the enemys.
Well but Amumu is able to take the Dragon fast down if he has Smite.
Also with a heal potions Amumu is able to go back to the lane very well and hoding back the enemys.
In any cases of mid game and still laning Shen is also able to support Soraka.

Fereth

05-07-2010

I once did a succesfull Ulti combo with these champions: Gangplank, Nunu, Pantheon. The opponents died.

Puschel the Soft

05-07-2010

Alistar really is no carry. Yes, your description might be true, but since this is a thread that's supposed to help out people that are rather inexperienced with LoL it is only confusing to introduce your own definition of carry.
A carry is a person who focuses (almost) only on offense and is there to deal massive dps. This term is traditionally only used for physical auto-attack chars, can also be used for nukers that can (almost) take out the entire enemy team with their nukes as they have AoE, low cooldowns or something like that.
Alistar with defensive/Aura items is a tank. He could be called support or ccer too. But not carry

I'm not saying tristana mid is bad. I'm just saying this: Tristana screws up mid pretty often. More often than most other mid heroes. Of course a player that is more experienced than his opponent in mid can pull of a great game. But as we are again talking about suggestions for beginners I'd say Tristana mid isn't the best option (ever seen a tristana without cleanse lane against panth with exhaust/ignite?).

Starks Favor and Last Whisper are indeed good choices on Tristana, though I'd probably get only one. If the enemies stack armor I don't really need the reduction from Starks. If they don't: Last Whisper will not be cost effective if the enemies have like 60 armor, which gets reduced to 40(?) since it will only provide 16 armor pen. Better get brutalizer/black cleaver.
I don't really like phantom dancer that much, but it is an viable option.
Phage is nice, agreed. Frozen Mallet can be nice too (and even justify an Atma's afterwards, but that's not a standard build^^)
I don't think you understood my point on soraka/amumu. If Amumu is fast he will still need at least 1 minute to do the dragon (with all the walking). In one minute any competent opponents will take down the tower. They will simply ignore soraka. Soraka deals too little damage to keep them from taking down the tower. After it dropped they might take out soraka too, given she is stupid enough to stay next to it.
And no, even starcall spamming and silencing and auto attacking won't keep them from doing this.

Sure, you can have shen jump in. But that leaves ez at a passive position and you cannot use shen's ulti anymore to counter ganks etc. (or to help amumu when he gets ganked while doing dragon...)

Wik Zhalifa

05-07-2010

Okay as it seems right for beginners I will edit Alistar as Carry and take another example on it.
Well I started as beginner with Tristana and till today it's my main and I always play her in mid I still don't know why you complain about it, sure there are champions which seem more simple for mid, ashe. ezreal, twisted, kata so they take fast levels to be a matchmaker.
But buffin Tristana first is an super option on beeing strong later.
If you heard abour Tier Lists you will see that Tristana is ranked around T2, which mostly means she is a strong champ and overdoes other champs.
Means she is strong in mid in my opinion, and as a beginner who wants to change from low elo to mid elo for example is this a perfect option to learn about 1 vs 1 owning a lane and carrying a game.

Much people underestimate Soraka in my opinion.
Its true she cant def a tower, but farming the dragon is a option while laning.
Amumu is a jungler and in the high elo its often used that Amumu leaves the lane to farm the dragon. And no it's not taking 1 min. Rather 20 seconds about.
It's not wise for Shen to support Soraka in that case its true. But it's an emergeny option.
Ezreal on tower is pretty able to def a lane alone for several minutes.
So this will work for sure. And even if it happens that you die, if you are able to communicate with your team mates you are able fix all the losses in the upcoming teamfights.
Just make sure the enemys carrys aren't so overpowered.

@Fereth: Ye an ulti combi is possible in a team if you make sure you don't die when using them. For example if an Amumu initates the fight. Or Gangplank.
An so called AoE-Eraser team consisting of Fiddle mid, Amumu and Gangplank, Nunu and Pantheon. Also it gives massive cc. But after you fail for first time you will fail for the rest of the game.

Bloodthorne

06-07-2010

A carry is a high damage output character that is most likely to get the most kills and thus "carries the team", hence the term "carry".

A tank is a champion that can take a lot of damage, but lacks in the damage department in most cases. The usefulness of a tank, depends on their other abilities to support the team using Crowd Control (CC).

A nuker is a magic based character that deals massive burst damage, which usually comes with some degree of cooldown/uselessness when the skills are on cooldown.

A supporter is a character that benefits the team mostly, by simply being there and casting spells on allies. Usually these characters are also build as aura champions combined with items to survive longer then most.

That is not enough for a team setup though. For a good team you need CC aswell, here is how i determine wether a team is good enough with it's CCs;
minimum of 7 points required;
root/immobilizer, fear and stun = 2 points
silence, snare/slow, etc = 1 point
(item procs do not count!)

a balanced setup + sufficient CC should yield in a good result.

Friedrich

06-07-2010

I quite agree with your theory statements.

But your team setup has several flaws :

-No consistent magic dmg

-No AoE

which basically means waste of amumu's passive, starcall, amumu's ulti. A 700 gold armor shuts your dmg output like mad.

-A weak lane

Amumu is a bad laner if not the worst. Soraka can only allow a champ to fullfill his potential. Laning potential of amumu is 0. You won't get creep kills and get dominated, so you'll hug tower. you have no taunt or dmg potential under turret. If they want to gank soraka, they do it anytime. If they have a strong lane [taric/panth, janna/ez, taric/sivir] they either dive you or get turret before level 6. Or both.

-Lack of dmg in early.

Think about it : you have no consistent dmg till all of your carries get their beloved bf. If they have a push setup or any heal, they can ignore you easily. And i mean, janna/taric/katarina/ez/shaco is nearly instant win against you.

-Your champs synergizes very bad

Amumu is the tank for fast & furious teamfight, mostly with kat or fiddle to unleash crazy dmg if short time. A bit like alistar.

Soraka is here for harass fight ; aka the 2 teams face each other and long shot each other. Except ez, ou have no long range harass.

To him, you add ezreal and shen, which are among the best champs in hit and run.

That makes no sense.
A team with sora will build around push and long range harass [aka sora, heimer, ashe, ez, alistar, kog maw, blabla.]

A team with amumu must finish teamfight very quick [annie, fiddle, katarina, carries are there to pick what's left].

A team with shen & ez is very good at confused teamfight where everyone splits, chases and flees. [I dont have to remind you of ashe shen ez janna which are hit and run gods]

So : theory is good, but you have to keep in mind what is the goal of your team, and you forgot it there.

You can't mix it all, you gotta choose one compo.

TB Muts

06-07-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodthorne View Post
A carry is a high damage output character that is most likely to get the most kills and thus "carries the team", hence the term "carry".
As you say, a carry carries the team... BUT this doesn't mean it has always the most kills.
The carry can easily be the initianator or even the tank... I mean I've seen mordekaisers been a carry, even a shen or taric.

So its not about the one with the most kills or damage but just the one who leads the way to victory.