Abusing duo queue matchmaking system to create unfair advantage

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Kurado

05-08-2013

The matchmaking system will balance duo queue players with higher MMR solo queue players in ranked to account for communication advantage. In most games it seems pretty balanced although in some cases this is different.

By duo queueing with a partner with a big MMR difference (e.g. plat with bronze) they can create an unfair advantage. The higher rated player can play a high risk high reward snowball champ, and the lower rated player can play a low risk low reward champ. Examples of these snowball champs are fizz/katarina/riven (primarily damage dealers that scale hard with itemization) matched with a support for the other player. The contribution to the game from the higher rated player becomes very high proportionally but the matchmaking does not take this into account enough. The player on the snowball champ is often mechanically good enough to get itself in many tricky situations with positive outcome and snowball the game for the whole team from there.

When I find myself matched with or against these type of duos, there is often little I can do about the outcome. I dont consider myself as good as the level they play at, but it just makes it nearly impossible to have a challenging game.

More explanation:
The matchmaking system seems to be based on both summoners having equal responsibility yet different skill level. In that way the higher rated player needs to make better plays and compensate for the mistakes that the lower rated player makes.

The strategy I mentioned circumvents this expectation of the match making system. The lower rated player plays a safe and forgiving playstyle. Where mistakes are not as impactful and not requiring to make skilled plays to contribute to the team. This low rated player makes his contributions to the team by actions that are simple to perform.
The higher rated player can then play a high risk high reward playstyle. They are usually mechanically and tactically good enough to snowball off any little mistake of one of the 5 enemies. These kind of champions can snowball so hard that if played properly can shut the whole enemy team down.

PodvodnĂ­k

05-08-2013

One of the few posts about flaws in the matchmaking system that actually makes sense and isn't dripping with anger.
There are actually threads about people who wants a Solo/Duo Queue for Twisted Treeline 3v3. Now that'd be a terrible experience with such players.

Also, the worst thing is when this bronze player is a smurf. Then you have 2 high risk high reward snowballing champions which generally perform a lot better than their team.

Kurado

06-08-2013

I just think this is something riot should look into. Because if I'm not mistaken I only read they give duo queue players a higher rated match in general. Nothing said about duoq with big MMR difference.

Frattaglia

06-08-2013

They usually try to match with an average team.
When I was demoted to Bronze IV I duoQued a lot with a Gold V friend, and we met a lot of Bronze I-SilverI people.
(Btw, we went to bot lane, because he's main adc and I'm main support)

DarkHellRiser

06-08-2013

This is in a way unfair, the good news is that you will not play to many of this games against such an unbalanced team. After e few games the lowest elo player will get a high MMR due to wining and will not be matched with you again.
So you may find one or maybe two games in a life time where you play against a platinum or diamond player being bronze or silver. That is not such a big deal.

After you reach Gold you already are among the best 10% players you will find on your server so the difference will not be so visible.

Once more it is unfair but rare, no need to change the system just for a few unfair games.

Kurado

07-08-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frattaglia84 View Post
They usually try to match with an average team.
When I was demoted to Bronze IV I duoQued a lot with a Gold V friend, and we met a lot of Bronze I-SilverI people.
(Btw, we went to bot lane, because he's main adc and I'm main support)
Indeed they match with an average team. And that seems to be based on both summoners having equal responsibility yet different skill level. So in that way the higher rated player needs to make better plays and compensate for the potential mistakes that the lower rated player makes.

The strategy I mentioned circumvents this expectation of the match making system. The lower rated player plays a safe and forgiving playstyle. Where mistakes are not as impactful and not requiring to make skilled plays to contribute to the team. This low rated player makes his contributions to the team by actions that are simple to perform.
The higher rated player can then play a high risk high reward playstyle. They are usually mechanically and tactically good enough to snowball off any little mistake of one of the 5 enemies. These kind of champions can snowball so hard that if played properly can shut the whole enemy team down.

Kurado

07-08-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkHellRiser View Post
This is in a way unfair, the good news is that you will not play to many of this games against such an unbalanced team. After e few games the lowest elo player will get a high MMR due to wining and will not be matched with you again.
So you may find one or maybe two games in a life time where you play against a platinum or diamond player being bronze or silver. That is not such a big deal.

After you reach Gold you already are among the best 10% players you will find on your server so the difference will not be so visible.

Once more it is unfair but rare, no need to change the system just for a few unfair games.
Indeed I used a rare example with platinum + bronze. Perhaps the unfair advantage is not as great, but this still applies to i.e. gold + bronze duoq. And I see plenty of those.

bleudrayne

07-08-2013

Riot's matchmaking system is ridiculous. I'm silver and i don't think i can got much further but recently i have been having horrible games. 1 hour ago i got stomped so hard by a premade platinium duo Qing with a bronze. 2 minutes ago got paired vs 2 gold players and don't say they have low mmr because that doesn't change the fact that they were more skilled than me and my team. I simply want to play and compete against others my own level, seriously these premades and elo boosters are so damn annoying. After they get their free elo they often mock or make fun of the loosing team, way to demoralize us. I don't care if the high elo people are in my team it's like cheating they carry me and i don't learn anything if they are on the other team i just rage. If i want to see higher elo people play i can watch streams so **** off you bastards ruining our gaming experience. On top of it when loosing these nearly impossible matches i loose 20 + lp the same as a loss vs people my level.

Fox Cunning

07-08-2013

I haven't played ranked yet, but reading on these forums I got the distinct impression that:
- When the duo is in your team - they are bot lane, feed hard and scream "surrender at 20!" since minute 5.
- When the duo is in the enemy team - one of them is Challenger I and plays Riven.

Solution?
- Duo in your team: everyone else takes teleport and use the duo as bait?
- Duo in enemy team: leave Riven alone and go kill the Bronze V player repeatedly until he goes AFK out of frustration; then split push all day while the rest of the team defends 4v4?

Alternative solution in both cases:
- Surrender at 20.

Kurado

07-08-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleudrayne View Post
Riot's matchmaking system is ridiculous. I'm silver and i don't think i can got much further but recently i have been having horrible games. 1 hour ago i got stomped so hard by a premade platinium duo Qing with a bronze. 2 minutes ago got paired vs 2 gold players and don't say they have low mmr because that doesn't change the fact that they were more skilled than me and my team. I simply want to play and compete against others my own level, seriously these premades and elo boosters are so damn annoying. After they get their free elo they often mock or make fun of the loosing team, way to demoralize us. I don't care if the high elo people are in my team it's like cheating they carry me and i don't learn anything if they are on the other team i just rage. If i want to see higher elo people play i can watch streams so **** off you bastards ruining our gaming experience. On top of it when loosing these nearly impossible matches i loose 20 + lp the same as a loss vs people my level.
The matchmaking system is quite optimal mathematically actually. With a game that includes 10 different players in each match its hard to rate them as an individuals mathematically. The only ridiculous way to improve balancing for riot would be to employ live judges or something. It just so happens to be that every player has good and bad days and can be lucky or unlucky with teams in placements for example. Once players play enough games (could be 100-1000 games) they will find their true MMR, but until then they'll still be at an imbalanced MMR.