Patch Note feedback and beyond!

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Riot Pwyff

Player Communications

Follow Riot Pwyff on Twitter

23-07-2013
1 of 5 Riot Posts

Looking to improve Patch Note Communication and hoping to involve y'all. You can see our first big changes here: http://euw.leagueoflegends.com/board....php?t=1300005

---

Hey all,

Over the past few months we've been experimenting with the patch notes in order to better deliver information to players. If you have no idea what I'm talking about, check out a few of our previous patch notes to spot the difference:

http://euw.leagueoflegends.com/news/patch-303-notes
http://euw.leagueoflegends.com/news/patch-35-notes
http://euw.leagueoflegends.com/news/patch-39-notes

Basically the most important thing here is that we think contextualized change is super important for a game like League of Legends because sometimes it can be a shock when your favorite champion gets nerfed (y'alls is dramatic, by the way). Additionally, understanding our thought process behind a change also allows you all to be better informed when presenting counter-points.

The next step we've wanted to do for some time is to now separate the WHAT from the WHY. Mainly due to two reasons:

Consistency:
Some contextual paragraphs focus too heavily on what's being changed (and how it'll affect the champion) while others focus more heavily on the broad approach to the change and what the champion deserves thematically. We're trying to make each contextual paragraph more directed and consistent across the board.

Laundry Lists are painful:
Sometimes when you see a huge wall of changes, your eyes can glaze over and the tears start flowing. Additionally, some changes can be rather nuanced if you don't fully understand the champion or what makes them strong. This can lead to excessive QQ that - while we appreciate - provides no real actionable feedback to work with. I'm joking (a little), but the end point is that sometimes change can be scary, but if we want to create an ever-evolving game that remains interesting throughout, then change is necessary.

With that being said, a TLDR summary of the change and how it affects the champion might be useful both for players who don't quite get the impact of the changes and for players who don't fundamentally understand what makes a champion strong (or weak).

---
THIS SECTION IS IMPORTANT

We want to create layers of information for players depending on how invested they are. Basically if you just want the lightest of information, you can get that. If you want more and more, you can go deeper down the rabbit hole as we go. Helping us iterate on that would be awesome!

---

http://euw.leagueoflegends.com/board....php?t=1300005

Those are some of the changes we're testing on the PBE. You might notice some of the format changes we're already piloting (summaries, large contextual paragraphs, etc) and that's where you come in.

I'm looking for specific feedback surrounding our patch notes to see if there are things you really value (or don't value) when looking at them and if there are quick opportunities we can take to fixing them.

[n]PLEASE NOTE[/n] this will be a directed discussion too, so I'll tell you if your ideas are going a little haywire or if there's something we just can't do as of now.

Also, WE'RE TRYING TO KEEP CHANGES RELATIVELY LIGHT FOR NOW - so big UI updates or things of that sort will sound great but will require a lot of exploration to really get it right.

For example, I'm leaning heavily toward adding a table of contents to our patch notes but I don't know (technically speaking) if that will mess things up.

So... let's start with a basic question here: how do you like the patch notes as they exist here?

http://euw.leagueoflegends.com/board....php?t=1300005

TheGons

23-07-2013

In b4 "mimimi only links to the na forum you donīt care for us"

Riot Pwyff

Player Communications

Follow Riot Pwyff on Twitter

23-07-2013
2 of 5 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGons View Post
In b4 "mimimi only links to the na forum you donīt care for us"
LOOK AGAIN!

I wrote this up for both and then just copy pasted links in~

TheGons

23-07-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riot Pwyff View Post
LOOK AGAIN!

I wrote this up for both and then just copy pasted links in~
I know pwyff i know and i really appreciate the work <3

Also tell the skin department to finally make Bikini Gragas q.q

Stavorsky

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

23-07-2013

Elise screwed up too much.

lupin9

23-07-2013

The patch notes as it is could definitely be too much for some of the lighter players, a summarative table of the basic patch notes could be a way?
And yes, I think having a different layer of information on the notes would be nice.

Ax3stazy

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

23-07-2013

Make bug fixes another thread, when i read champ changes ijust skip bug fixes. i think dota1 had change log like that that was awesome like
-Important stuff here
-Some tiny balance issues
-Who the fuk gives about bugs
Ur stuff is complete mess i have to read everything to find the intresting stuff.
The way u describe changes feels like u want to apologizes and like "hey dear summoner pls dont eat me for changing my game, i did this for these reasons". its like saying "y i know u dont repsect me pls dont bash me"

rupertbayern

23-07-2013

Feedback: I think that you should change the wording of the patch explainations. Instead of writing "We readjusted power" just say: Champ XXX is OP/too strong we nerf him. Please stop this: "we make early weaker and lategame stronger". Just say XXX OP! We nerf early a lot because of that.

Please be more "honest" and please do not try to hide the nerfs.

Thank you

Edit: And please NEVER EVER write "there is no counterplay" again!!! This annoys me so much because this is such a bad justification. You are tell us that Akaliīs w does not allows counterplay. Please think about that. Every non skillshot spell is undogeable and allows no counterplay. Just stop that. Thanks

Arkblue

23-07-2013

Thank you Pwyff!
BTW, where have you been?
I thought I'd have to wait Lucian Spotlight to see you again .
(you often appear in the spotlight messages when announcer says "X has slan Y")

NoodleTeemoPizza

23-07-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGons View Post
I know pwyff i know and i really appreciate the work <3

Also tell the skin department to finally make Bikini Gragas q.q
Eternum Vi is first.