How websites (like lolking) access data ?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

MaxPoulpe

08-06-2013

Hi,

Just a simple question I couldn't find the answer : how websites with statistics like lolking access data of Lol ?

Not only matches, but masteries of summoners etc...

Is there a public way to access those informations ?

If no, how do they do ?

Thank you

Cypherous

08-06-2013

Runes are public dont know about masteries as the only data i've seen normally relates to runes, and i'm not sure exactly how they get it, could be connecting to the server pretending to be a client to parse the data that gets sent, or there could be something to access directly, its not something riot have officially set up however

MaxPoulpe

09-06-2013

Hi,

Thanks for the response.

Is this legal ? I mean, if Riot didn't authorized it, everyone can possibly do it ?

MiDawx

10-06-2013

bump

cH Pinki

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-06-2013

there is an API from riot...

cH Pinki

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-06-2013

Basically everyone could do that...

Cypherous

10-06-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by cH Pinki View Post
there is an API from riot...
As far as i know the API hasn't been deployed or even finished as of yet

Quote:
Is this legal ? I mean, if Riot didn't authorized it, everyone can possibly do it ?
Meh grey area, depends how they are getting the data, sadly only riot support will be able to give an answer and they would need to know the exact method you intend to use to get the data, at the end of the day its all publicly accessible information so nothing private is being seen

Autinique

10-06-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypherous View Post
As far as i know the API hasn't been deployed or even finished as of yet

Meh grey area, depends how they are getting the data, sadly only riot support will be able to give an answer and they would need to know the exact method you intend to use to get the data, at the end of the day its all publicly accessible information so nothing private is being seen
Exactly, don't expect personal information is given such as names or emails.
I can fall back into this when reading the privacy policy:
"(1) PERSONAL INFORMATION. We will not share your personal information with any third parties without your consent, except as necessary to provide you with the services offered by us, to comply with the law or as otherwise described in this Policy."

MaxPoulpe

13-06-2013

Ok, thanks for the answers

I didn't expect data such as name or emails to be retrieved by lolking.

However, I still don't know how do they do ? I mean, I tried to contact them by email, never got an answer..

I asked once to Riot if an application retrieving countdowns for jungle (not one that you lunch manually but automatically) was permitted. They answer very nively that it wasn't because it involved data retrieving of the game itself in real-time.

I'm not saying that it is the same, because lolking retrieves data after matches; but still : they got our masteries and runes made public.

Riot don't know how do they do or they don't want to tell ? Did they even bother to "search" ?

Anyway, I don't really mind because none of those informations are personnal as you said. But I find "odd" that I'm asking everywhere HOW do those data are transfered and no one knows !

SpoliX

13-06-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypherous View Post
Runes are public dont know about masteries
Masteries can be seen too in the client. U can't see the champions, Ip and RP they get from the games, i think item sets too.