A note about recent server downtime & compensation

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Æsper

05-06-2013

*___* 20 ip boost omg riot rly <3 i love you i have all chamos wihtout 4 usless but *_* 20 ip boost omg so awsome thx thx thx

DatAddict

05-06-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirtswall View Post
I don't want to be inflammatory or to increase the anti-Riot sentiments here in this thread, because on the whole I actually fall into the apologist camp, but since the topic is the compensation Riot is giving EUW players I think it only reasonable that I should offer my honest opinion on the compensation.

I hadn't really thought about it before, but other people are right to point out that the IP boost literally does nothing for me and many other players (I have 111K spare IP, I could not play for half a year, still buy every champion that comes out in that period at full IP price, and have enough spare that I wouldn't need this IP boost ...). Of course an IP boost is the right solution for people who have lost time in accruing IP toward their next champion, it should always be a standard feature of compensation after downtime, but like many people I already own every champion and have IP to spare, so I agree whole heartedly that the compensation for the current problems essentially overlooks me, and doesn't show that Riot values me or players like me at all, since the IP boost basically does and amounts to nothing in my case - it is literally nothing to me.

Second, and I am saying this purely because it is my genuine opinion and belief, not because I hope it will goad Riot into giving me some swag (to put it another way, this is a series of observations, not an attempt to guilt, persuade or cajole Riot into giving me something to hoard), I just really don't see why Riot as a whole is so unwilling to give RP or skins as compensation for server problems. Basically, every time there is a problem with the servers Riot either loses a customer, or turns them into a jaded and more or less unhappy one, possibly one who would badmouth them online or to their friends. Maybe they won't lose that customer, but the idea is that they have a bad relationship with them, that customer is disappointed and embittered, and they might hold off on buying RP as a result, because they like the game, but they don't like or want to reward Riot. Conversely, every time Riot releases a new feature, a new champion, or does something nice for the community (even just a fun or heartfelt post on the forums), they have a chance of gaining a new player, or turning an existing player into a lifelong fan who will sing their praises and defend them in online debates (pointing to the things that won them over as evidence of why Riot is not a bad company). In short, I don't see why Riot is so cagey about giving out the occasional gift to players, I don't see why they think it's such a scary idea that they must avoid at all costs - something borne out in the history of these matters - or why they feel like they're between a 'rock and a hard place' when giving out such rewards would not be nearly as painful as they make it out to be. Is it really that painful to give players the RP to buy one skin out of hundreds, to build a little good will among the community and do something, actively, which can be pointed to as evidence in future debates, that shows that Riot really does care for its players? I just find that the objections to this can be brushed away so easily: "we don't want to set a precedent" well that's either because the problems happen a lot, because otherwise it wouldn't matter too much (hint hint) or because of simple tight-fistedness, I don't see the problems either way as you don't have to do it every single time there's a server problem, "but other regions might feel undervalued if they don't get the same" then give them the same, it won't ruin your business model or company to give everyone enough RP for one of literally hundreds of skins. For a company that claims that it wants to be the most player-focused in the world, Riot seems to play things pretty straight and by the book. What do I mean by that? Well, it's a common saying that you should judge a person by their actions, not their words, and when I look to how Riot acts when it comes to compensation, I see them being very cagey and stingy, and I really don't think there's any other way to describe it (other than from a biased pro-Riot / status quo position).

So, long message, but I just wanted to say that this compensation doesn't make me feel valued or like I'm in any relationship with Riot other than a business one (and not one of good will, gratitude or mutual love of gaming and kinship through it).
Agree 100% even though I still need IP I still think the IP Boost is a shtty compensation for the 2 weeks or more server issues and so. Makes me feel cheap and unworthy.

mostlyhuman

05-06-2013

RELEASE THE CRACKEN!

Gethstyle

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-06-2013

Korean server. Sona Guquin Skin + 10 IP boost (i think)
NA Server: 1000 RPs
EUW server: 20 IP boost.

Really, RIOT?

Æsper

05-06-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gethstyle View Post
Korean server. Sona Guquin Skin + 10 IP boost (i think)
NA Server: 1000 RPs
EUW server: 20 IP boost.

Really, RIOT?
no no wait...we get 4 ip boost not more <3

scarface797

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-06-2013

Attached Images
File Type: jpg fea29c964ec42b00265b57d5ad793396.jpg (41.1 KB, 226 views)

InZeLuX

05-06-2013

Dear Riot. First of all, before you read this, i would like to tell you that Im not mad, Im not a biased kid who is trying to start to hate, but i'd like a couple of answers about your strategy, and i know that the rest of the forum is with me on this one.

Earlier, you made a thread discussing that you would like to give us an compensation when the problems were over. You also said that you wanted to give us a compensation which you felt was "good enough" to compensate for the recent problems, therefore, it would take some time.

Now, im not going to say "20 win IP BOOST SUCKZZZ KOREA GOT FREE SKIN". Instead, what i would like to ask you is, What is it that made the Korean compensation bigger, whilst ours is a 20 win IP boost? (And yes, 20 win IP boost is worth a lot less than a champ + LE Skin)

As far as people have stated, problems in Korea where a lot less hurting than the ones we've had, if that is true, why is then our compensation worth less? There is even players that cant benefit from this compensation, probably the player-base that has put the most time and love into the game, the ones that plays all day and all night.

Would you please take the time to tell a little about WHY you have chosen the 20 win-IP boost as an compensation in front of something else?

Now, over to my personal opinion, now that the interesting part is done.

Personally, i think the 20Win-IPboost is ****. If i even got a crappy recolored Kennen skin, I'd be a lot more happy. I soon have all the champs in the game (Yes, ive spent a lot of money into this game), i got runes to cover me in all positions (well, i could use one more, but thats K.). A 20 win-IP boost is in my eyes worthless, it would be a lot cooler to have a skin to look back at or play with, and actually think about the fact that "Yeah, Riot had tough times, but they gave me this skin.. Cool".

Thank you for your time, Riot.
- Scott.

Edit:
Ok, so i saw some ellaboration from the later Riot posts in this thread, but i still feel that some answers are unanswered.
Riot, would you please ellaborate a little bit more on the topic of choosing the compensation you did? I get the point about Riot KR messing up by giving out something that the whole Riot-team thinks is "too much", but once the damage is done once, shouldn't the rest still be treated equally?

Of course, i understand that you will have to keep your "rules of compensation", but at the same time, giving out a champ+skin doesent really lose you that much of money. I dont think people would even care if its a legendary skin or not, but something "hardened" would still be more valuable to the playerbase than a IP boost. Even if it was a ward skin or something, i think people would be happy. The fact that you give out something that is potentially worthless for a lot of pros is.. Well, it kind of sadens me to see. I dont know if you even thought of that fact, but would you especially please ellaborate on that? What was your thoughts regarding that % of the playerbase?

Thank you, again.

Thygral

05-06-2013

By what i read, its not for all EUW players?

The people who have people disconnection through the matchs dont receive any compensation?

Spongy

05-06-2013

What annoys me is I finally started to get into ranked. I didn't fear getting demoted started to not get as annoyed and just look at my play then I would join a game have crashes for first 4 mins while being unable to log. Get back into game and be 5 mins behind a tower and all sorts. Compensation is some ip boost ha. Rather not waste my time again thanks was fun for a game or 2

IPirateKing

05-06-2013

Why does every1 complain about the 20 ip boost compensation, be glad they fixed the problems and found what caused it, rather have the game fixed than 1K rp with a sona skin and ****ty connections, i think you should appreciate what u get.