Ryze counters (Top lane)

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

BeFFoO

01-06-2013

I just laned against a ryze and couldn't do much against him, so I looked up what could counter him ( http://www.championselect.net/champ/Ryze ) and none of the common picks counters him, except elise.
So my question is, who counters him and is there any "common" top laners that counters him?

Thank you in advance

EDIT: So some people asked, who I played.
I played Darius and i thought i would be able to kill when I was around lvl 3 but I got zoned from creeps at lvl 2 because of jungler and then I got ganked again and was forced to back. So he got an advantage and I couldn't really zone him that much and i'm not an experienced darius player. Ryze snare seemed to be longer then my pull, so he kept me out of my pull range at all time.
So I couldn't really handle him.

SlicingMaelstrom

01-06-2013

Jayce ****s on ryze top ,atleast for me.

Inteligent

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-06-2013

You can still consider to swap lanes.

But since were on different subject here. ill repeat:

Jayce is very strong against Ryze. .Elise does well as you mentioned. Nunu just outsustains poor Ryze early, but as the gaem goes there is just less chance to kill him.
Rengar is very good with passive abuse.
Skill matchups would Xin, Noc, GP, cant rly think of anything else. But yeah you can always swap lanes

CatpainHindsight

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-06-2013

-Champions who outrange him.
-Champions who can CC and engage hard.
-Champion who can CC, disengage and re-engage.
-Most champions with a Gap-Closer.
-Champions who work extremely well with jungler ganks.
-Champion with high sustain early.
-Bully champions, who can zone, or dive easily.

Ryze is countered by almost everything, and top lane is a really evil place, where Ryze doesn't really belong.

Some players won games with Ryze top, and suddenly everyone and his mother believes it's any good; or lose to a Ryze in that lane, and think he must be a hard champion to deal with. It's not the case, and such Ryzes (or their junglers) probably outplayed you.

What were your pick, exactly, that you couldn't do anything against Ryze?
If you played Top Kata or something of the sort, I can understand how he had the upper hand.
There are a few champions, that Ryze will win in the lane, but in general, almost every other toplaner ****s on him.

iMoon

02-06-2013

Ryze is pretty weak early game, so pick something strong early and snowball.

seppppp

02-06-2013

When someone playes well there is no counter. You can chose every champ, when u do well you win ur lane. EASY

Fiif

02-06-2013

Strong early champions. Jayce beats is good, Any champion that does not get hard countered by kiting is good vs him. Stay away from champions like Ren and udry (I assume ren will get crushed by it)

CatpainHindsight

02-06-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiif View Post
Strong early champions. Jayce beats is good, Any champion that does not get hard countered by kiting is good vs him. Stay away from champions like Ren and udry (I assume ren will get crushed by it)
I disagree with both Udyr and Renekton. While they may not be the best picks against Ryze, they will definitely not lose if, if they know what they are doing.
Both champions have the tools to actually make Ryze suffer. Both actually have the choice, and it depends on the player. Played corretly, you will find that those champions actually 'counter Ryze', and give him a nightmare of a lane.

Udyr has no problems. It would've been an extemely easy lane for Ryze, if he had infinite mana. Ryze can't stand Udyr's sustain. Ryze can't 4-spell-combo an Udyr everytime that beast chooses to get closer. In the mid, when a Ryze harasses early, and leaves the enemy zoned, because flash + ignite, combied with a few skills mean a kill, it's ok to sometimes constantly burn your mana. In the top lane it just doesn't work like that.

That lane becomes a farm lane. The question is about who will get exhausted out of resources first, and it's going to be Ryze.

Later, when Ryze has both Tear and Catalyst, you are strong and fast enough to eat a combo and still get to him. This gets more annoying to the Ryze than it is to Udyr.

Whoever gets his early advantage though, will crush the other one.
The key is to either make Ryze burn his mana and have your jungler nearby, to get his turret, or to just gank that peanut-head early.

Any half competent Jungler or Top laner knows that if you have Udyr in the top, you must control the jungle around that lane. Just do what that usually needs to be done with Udyr, and that Ryze shall fall.

When both top are good players, the Ryze is actually supposed to be afraid of engaging. It's easier to fight you while taking it backwards. You are the one resposinble for controling whatever happens in your lane, and if you don't know how to do it, you will lose. If you know how to - that ryze is doomed.

If you don't understand such strategies, Udyr is not for you in general.

---

While Udyr matchup is more about genetral strategy, Renekton vs Ryze is more about Mechanics.

Renekton has shee brutality, health sustain, and no mana costs.
A Ryze player cannot engage on Renekton. Once again, you dictate what will happen in your lane.

Making it a sustain lane is not hard, but since you are Renekton and he his Ryze, being both equally farm will result in your defeat, in general.

One well executed combo will make this Ryze Zoned.
It gets harder though, because Slice's Range is not high. You will have to be a goot top laner, and know how to take over the bush and freeze the minion wave, in a manner that forces Ryze to be in your range, or lose farm. The moment you arrange that though, you are gold. There is nothing he can do. That snare doesn't help if you are already on him.
If you manage to get that early advantage, he shall cry. If you didn't know how to create opportunities though, yeah, you will find yourself a poor lizard; but this is not limited to only Ryze. If you can't force your victory in the lane, Renekton is not for you.

TaXoRo

02-06-2013

Cassiopeia.

Nothing else to say.

CatpainHindsight

02-06-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaXoRo View Post
Cassiopeia.

Nothing else to say.
Cass is not a Ryze nightmare, as much as Orianna and Syndra are.

If you want to bring an AP to the top lane, for the sake of crushing Ryze, have one of those two.