How the hell do you play zyra support?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Watermeat

14-05-2013

So I'm a support main, but one of the only supports I can't get my head around is zyra.
I'm pretty good at hitting my E, and her ult feels great too, but for me, it's just not enough cc for a support to have, and I found her damage really low.

That said, a couple games ago i played vs a really good zyra support who dealt so much damage that if I was hit by grasping roots I was garen-teed dead.

I tried maxing E first when playing as zyra, but should I max Q for more damage?

Ravensfeather

14-05-2013

The plants are real terror, she has good team fight zone and an AoE root coupled with immense objective control. I honestly don't think she's that bad.

Rhaegarion

14-05-2013

In S2 zyra was an alright support, but in S3 she is god awful.

tmzko

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

14-05-2013

use plants, take half hp from enemy adc, proceed to laugh and spam more plants

Kenzorz

14-05-2013

Unleash everything on the enemy AD carry and laugh as you deal more damage than your own AD carry.

Zeropathic

14-05-2013

I think what you want to do (optimally) is to land the roots and get the slow plant out, then time your combo so you get the Q and damage plant straight afterwards. For maximum damage you also want your plants out before you drop your ult (it's a pretty big steroid for them), though you'll have to judge whether or not you have time for that based on the situation. (A good tip is that you can cast your Q or E then place your W just as the spell hits that area.) As for what to max, you probably want E.

I'm not sure what runes people typically run on Zyra, but I picture an AP page with magic penetration and flat AP (rest defensive) can work well, as she has better scalings and, well, simply more damage on her own than most other supports. She has a long range as well so she is not as reliant on defensive stats as more close-ranged supports. I would still run more defence-oriented masteries though, like 1/13/16 or something. But I guess that in the end that one comes down to preference.
If you feel squishy with that rune page you can always replace the penetration reds for flat armour. (Damage-wise I'm not sure whether she benefits the most from the extra penetration or the added AP though. But I think +15 AP does more.)

Don Eulrich

14-05-2013

max e for the longer cc, then w for the cdr - you won´t need the q for dmg, as supportzyra your main dmg source are the plants (and they really hurt), not the casts.

Rowango

14-05-2013

For Zyra, put one point into E, one point into W, one point into Q, then max W, then max Q.

As someone here has pointed out, you basically want to be able to spam your plants, so you need to max W to do that.

aljura

14-05-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zolmaster View Post
For Zyra, put one point into E, one point into W, one point into Q, then max W, then max Q.

As someone here has pointed out, you basically want to be able to spam your plants, so you need to max W to do that.
I lold.
As support Zyra you want have your only CC spell on a lower CD -> Max E.

Utility > Damage.

Pentalistic

14-05-2013

I really love zyra support and is 1 of my main along with sona and janna. She is a very good support in my eyes as the E>W>Q combo is wicked at level 3 +. With zyra the man thing is using her plants to the max ability you can. The trick is to do your E on adc, but make sure you land your W right at the end of the E root then their adc will die as she will be rooted and when she walks away the W plant will be slowing her and your adc will kill her. Also, implement your Q after and make sure you use W as free wards and harass in the bushes. Additionaly, your mastries and runes must be right. Runes should include Armor Pen/Magic Pen for red, Armor or Mana yellows and MR blues and Gold quints. The red runes make you deal alot of damage on the adc and support. I hope i helped Whisp me in game if u need more help!