Let's talk about Xerath

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Xelnath

Systems Designer

09-05-2013
1 of 51 Riot Posts

Let's start with a few facts:

• Xerath has a 50% win rate across all elos.
  • Xerath only has a 51% win rate in very high elo matches.
  • Xerath's total burst has a 1134 dmg + 3.4 AP Ratio + 40% spell pen - the highest baseline burst in the game.
  • Xerath has a very cool theme and concept

Despite this:
  • Xerath is the 2nd least played Mage across all regions.

The data indicates Xerath is actually balanced in terms of total impact on the game. His best case burst is massive. Yet he's not played a lot.

Why do you feel this is?

ContraBit

09-05-2013

because of things like your avatar?

Genjas Monobrow

09-05-2013

Because champions like Zac and Vi get released that make it difficult for him to be in position all of the time.
So they would rather play easy-to-play champions.

DrGears

09-05-2013

Because those who can actually play him just can't handle the pure awesomeness of Power Thirst... I mean lightning.

Real lightning.

Dextii

09-05-2013

He's difficult to actually pick up and be useful with him

Melodyhits94

09-05-2013

6300 ip may seem alot too much for a champion with basic ( or shall we say not unique ) abilites.

Add to the that his stun needs to be applied using skill shot (Q) or (R). To take effectivness.

Finally his ultimate is hard to land FULLY

MyPetPanda

09-05-2013

I think the problem lies with his W. It promoted ranged play and also STATIONARY play. With a lot of CC heavy champions being released. It's hard for Xerath to just stand there and pummel out the damage to reap the benefits of his W. He will either get focused instantly and die, or the team will back off out of his range committing to the fight without Xerath.

90% of the time in teamfights I'm never using his W. As I'm maneuvering a lot around the team fight to hit his skill shots.

Xelnath

Systems Designer

09-05-2013
2 of 51 Riot Posts

I think you guys make a good point here - the heavy focus on his siege mode drives a lot of his gameplay. His stun is harder to trigger than Brand's without siege mode and his ultimate ready.

What changes do you feel would dramatically improve both the visceral experience of controlling Xerath and playing against Xerath?

Swiftxyz

09-05-2013

I play him occasionally and I don't think there's any problem with him. But for example his passive can make people feel falsely safe on him, he might have 200 armor lategame but if you have 1.7k health, 200 armor doesn't mean anything, especially with people running armor pen at this point.

The only other thing that is a bit disturbing is his rank 1-2 W cd. It kinda balances its strength, but it also makes it rather difficult to use it effectively in lane. I don't have a problem with it anymore - I personally find Xerath amazing -, but it was a bit disturbing for me when I started playing him.

Just for the record, I like underplayed champs, and he seems to fit my type of mages. Supportish long range mages (Gragas, Orianna, Xerath) with long range AoE ults that are very impactful in teamfights.

MyPetPanda

09-05-2013

I think if you are going to see him as a siege champion, increase the range on the W so that the benefit of staying stationary doesn't take you out of the fight. Currently I feel as soon as people see the animation of my W. They just back the hell up and it's pretty much useless.

OR.

Add an after effect for when you cancel his W to increase his potency on the move.