which top lane champion should i buy?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

sirarnoldus

03-05-2013

hello guys, my name is arnold. i would like to buy another champion for my pool as a top laner. my current char's are jax, renekton, jayce, akali, khazix, garen, kayle, and others who are not rly able to play top lane. i got 6300 ep, so i can decide between all the champions.

i thought about the following champions: riven, irelia, darius, talon, diana, rumble, elise.

which of these champions would help me to play against different opponents, or which of them is the better choice for somebody who isnt level 30 yet. im lerning quickly, by watching people like dyrus and voyboy play, and explaining things, but sometimes i got mechanical issues while playing.

hope somebody can help me with my choice

Mallemout

03-05-2013

I suppose this is more an intuition response on my part than any fundamentaly thought but I would immediately pick Elise.

TaXoRo

05-05-2013

If you practice riven you can improve your mechanics alot.

Sfan

06-05-2013

Hi here o/ I main top with more than 1000 games, so I'll try to help you answer your question. To give a third opinion, I would pick up Rumble because your other champs doesn't have a lot of skillshots (except Jayce, but it isn't a "true" skillshot), and he is also a relatively difficult champion to master, but really effective and almost uncounterable at lower levels if he's well played. He is also AP, but with a completely different build than Akali, so it will allow you to experiment new items and different mechanics. He has a lot of AOE effect and needs to stay in the middle of the fight during long durations, so this will allow you to learn a lot about positionning, when to go in and when to back away. Renekton also has a strong AoE dmg and is in the middle of the fight, but he is way more tanky and has absolutely no other similarity, so Rumble is probably better for you to learn about positionning and a new gameplay. He is also one of the few counters of some strong laners top, such as Malphite, and it may be interesting to play him well, only for that.

Elise could be nice too, but you already play Akali who is also an AP assassin (even if Elise's build is very different), so maybe you want to try something different.

Diana can also be very interesting, because she is versatile and can play top, mid or jungle. Here again, however, she is similar to Akali in terms of positionning : jump on the carries, kill them, back away, with also multiple gapclosers.

Talon is nice, but in my opinion he is better mid, especially at lower levels where midlaners won't rush seeker's armguard vs him. Toplaners may be too tanky for him, since he doesn't have a lot of damage after his combo and suddenly becomes very squishy because he has no more escapes.

Darius, Riven and Irelia are more traditionnal toplaners. Riven is free to play (you press more or less randomly your spells and AA, and you may get a kill if the opponent isn't really good (I've seen a friend carry his game with his first time Riven, and he killed his opponent only by pressing Q when the ennemy attacked him)) but one of the hardest champ to master, so this can be a good way to improve yourself. Irelia is also a nice buy, with the same weak early game but superstrong late game than Jax, and the same ability to carry a game easily if she gets ahead early on. I don't know a lot about Darius because I have surprisingly not faced or played him since a lot of time, but I hope you'll find these explanations useful.

Big Punisher

06-05-2013

Rengar is so much fun

Alienbuddha

07-05-2013

Do yourself a favor and wait with buying Riven until the New Champion gets repeased (the One After Lissandra) because she will be reduced to 4800ip in about One month.
Besides I always prefere to have a Champion that can be played in multiple positions, which gives you more practice and insight on gameplay and Builds.
Cho'gath can be played Top, Jungle and Mid and counters a few Champions very Good.
You can Build him for your pleasure (Tank, ap bruiser, ap Carry) and always Deal huge True dmg, eating ppl and growing über Big

Enderty

09-05-2013

Teemo for counter picks and lane safety with his shrooms. Elise is really OP top, Riven can counter much toppers. Rumble is strong pick if You wont get countered. Yoric is also good counter to some toppers. Nunu has incredible sustain with his q and can harass with his e infinetly every 5 aa's.

nomealternativo

10-05-2013

What kind of champion do you want to buy? If you want to one shot people after 6 go to Diana, Riven, Rengar and Talon. These are all assassins champions you jump on their back line and just kill them super fast and after that you will be a little in trouble. Irelia and darius are more like bruisers and are based on winning trades or winning all in fights. Both can be build tanky and deal massive amounts of damage while being focused and not dying. Rumble and elise are kind off safe picks with strong harass. I think for early game elise is just the best of the both since she already as her spider form and does massive damage even withtout items. Rumble scales better into the late game and has a better presence in team fights. His ulti well used just wins games alone.

I have riven and diana and both need a bit practice for you to play well with them but after that you will rarely lose your lane in a 1vs1. My brother as talon and i have seen him doing amazing kills on team fights and insane outplays when in a 3vs1 situation were he gets to live while killing 2 enemies.

sinnist3R

11-05-2013

I think elise irelia and riven are very good at top