Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a tonne of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out Boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

DDoS explanation and protection

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Sevaara

05-10-2013

Quote:
nerv1k:
yea there will never be a 100% sure way to avoid a DoS(well except not being connected to the internet,duh), but the point is, every little bit of extra protection helps, and it will help you avoid the most basic DoS attacks, tested it earlier from a friend of mines network (couple simple methods) and he got the same speeds as my network, we had no chance clogging it with simple attack methods

Obtaining a router with built in DoS protection and traffic filtering is something you can do yes but it also brings a cost the majority of the time. If people simply started to hide their P2P usernames during streams and only give them out to trusted sources, DoS attacks would soon disappear from the LoL community.

D3j4Vu

Recruiter

05-10-2013

Noob question: How do i protect myself from a ddos? or is that impossible?

June 28th

05-10-2013

Gandalf hats anyone?

Sevaara

05-10-2013

Quote:
D3j4Vu:
Noob question: How do i protect myself from a ddos? or is that impossible?

Quite easily. If you have the cash to invest, you CAN purchase a router with DDoS protection/packet filtering which will reduce the chance of a DoS attack affecting you. If you stream Id suggest using Stream Privacy which is an application that allows you to hide Skype and other programs so that they do not show up on your stream. Do not give your Skype name out to anybody in-game or anybody on these forums, if you do not use Skype while gaming I suggest turning it off so the port closes. The same goes for any other P2P applications. Another precautionary measure I suggest taking is making a new Skype and only adding 100% trustworthy people.

Thats all I can suggest to you right now. Are you getting attacked right now or have you been attacked previously?

Sevaara

05-10-2013

Quote:
Niko1331:
Gandalf hats anyone?

YES! Absolutely. Made me think of party fiddlesticks for some reason.

Sevaara

05-10-2013

Added a new section about CloudFlare for those self-employed players concerned about the safety of their websites and servers. Just in case.

Sevaara

05-10-2013

Ive also just done a bit of research and the least you are looking to pay for a router that includes DoS protection is about $1,500 (£976). Mainly because the only routers that include such protection are made by Juniper and Cisco.

nervik

05-10-2013

actually, my router costs 168£ in norway (damn pricey country, is at around 100£ at amazon) and came with a simple DoS protection, router firewall, and the option to not respond to pings from WAN, so i think you didnt research thoroughly enough :P

Sevaara

05-10-2013

Quote:
nerv1k:
actually, my router costs 168£ in norway (damn pricey country, is at around 100£ at amazon) and came with a simple DoS protection, router firewall, and the option to not respond to pings from WAN, so i think you didnt research thoroughly enough :P

And I can guarantee you that I could DoS you through it. If you want the best protection money can buy, aim for Juniper & Cisco.

nervik

05-10-2013

well, no router is (D)DoS secure, but i prefer having a ****ty lock, rather than no lock at all, sure it wont save me if they are hellbent on DoSing me, but it will help me vs those who are lazy and just do the easiest attacks