Riven 4 25.00%
Rumble 2 12.50%
Talon 1 6.25%
Vi 1 6.25%
Volibear 2 12.50%
Yorick 2 12.50%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

POLL: Help Picking Good Overall Champion

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Iktha

07-02-2013

I know there are many threads on this topic, however I’m sure an updated one can’t hurt too bad.

I’ve recently started playing the game again after about 6 months of not playing at all. My skill level is slowly creeping back to where it was prior to my break. I’ve been trying out many champions, however I find that certain often-played champions (Lee Sin/Garen/Riven) just steamroll over many of the more fragile champions if you make but a single mistake.
__________________________________________________ _______________________

I’d really like a champion who has the following traits:

• Great Laner: Can control the lane with little threat to themselves. Great examples of this would be Gangplank, Lee Sin, Garen, Riven, etc.
  • Few Weaknesses: No 1 mechanic which you can get to completely eradicate their effectiveness. For example, Irelia or Jax are tough to beat (if played correctly) pretty much no matter what (few exceptions).
  • Great Early Game: The early game often decides the outcome of a lane and sometimes the outcome of the entire match. I’d like a champion who has such huge lane presence that it doesn’t matter who the opponent is – they won’t be able to just steam roll the lane.
  • Hard to Kill: Preferably this be through the fact that the champion has above-average health/armor, however it could be simply due to the fact that they (like Shaco) are simply extremely hard to pin down and kill.
  • Stays Viable: Most of the champions who meet the above 4 criteria miss out on this last one; they are usually early game champs whose power drastically falls off throughout the mid and late game. I’d prefer a champion who is still useful in the late game (perhaps through Crowd Control or Execute abilities).

I know this is probably a rather tall order, but my old ‘main’ champion was Garen, and I believe he had the above-mentioned traits. He has very few weaknesses on account of his gameplay mechanics:

1. He is naturally tanky (high health/armor).
  2. He has no mana, which is always just awesome.
  3. His Q has a Silence component which stays useful throughout the entire game, and makes the first half of his early game domination mechanic: Silence the opponent, then spin in their face while they usually run.
  4. His W is (in my opinion) one of the best shields in the game. It blocks a percentage of incoming damage, so the more damage you take, the more it helps you.
  5. His E is an AoE which can Critically Strike. The damage doesn’t drop off too badly throughout the game.
  6. His R is an Execute which keeps him a viable threat throughout the game to any target at low health. His high durability means he usually survives the team fight relatively well, while other players make it out with only low health (perfect time to execute).

Below I’ve compiled a quick list of champions I’m interested in at the moment. This list contains the champions I believe mostly have the above-mentioned traits. The list is:

*Diana
Irelia
Riven
Rumble
Talon
Vi
*Volibear
*Yorick

I’ve put a star * next to my favourites within that list, but I haven’t really played many of them much (or at all).

Just to clarify: I am not looking for a champion who is a copy of Garen, but any champion that is just solid in practically every way. I’m not asking they be super-uber in every way – just that they have very few weaknesses.

So, if you guys/gals could give me some advice on who to buy, I would be most appreciative.

P.S. I have excluded many champs from this list who really ought to be there, such as Garen or Shen, etc. The reason I've excluded most of them is either because I've already played them so much that I am just bored to death of them, or I simply don't like them / suck at them really bad, lol. Please feel free to make a post mentioning other champions you feel match the qualities looked for in this thread, as it may be of help to other readers.

Bookstealer

07-02-2013

Diana -Many players used her when she came out, but i don't see her much anymore. i never thought she was a threat. i'm sure she's good, but doesn't worry me like Amumu or Yorick.

Yorick -Probably the next champ i'll buy. If you like top, you need him.

Volibear -The only one on your list i can comment on from experience, he's one of my mains.
Voli destroys 3v3/1v1 like a Jax, but it's tough to fit him in 5v5. Those who counter him top, counter hard (Kayle, Teemo), & he really needs another teammate to excel, but isn't best support since he needs his own gold. Can jungle fine, but others do it better. In 5v5 i always end up doing a bit of everything; lane, jungle/gank, support, ks, etc.

2 of my other favorites are Maokai & Galio...
Maokai's one of the most underrated champs, he owns mid (yes rly), awesome jungler/teamplayer/map controller, but has no escapes.
Galio is a must if you like mid, counters all ap easy + teleport support.

Those 2 are both tanky but use up mana fast, need bb +pots.

It's also worth mentioning Lulu has my highest wins of any champ, but doesn't fit your description at all. She's insanely good in good teams.

Cyrxaph

07-02-2013

I voted Talon, but looking at the post, looks like you want a top laner. Talon stomps on mid, but is mediocre/bad on top.

Get Riven instead. She has a stun, a shield, two gap-closers and her ult is a steroid/execute.

Iktha

07-02-2013

Thanks guys for all the comments/votes. Sorry I only allowed 1 choice for the poll, but I was worried confusion might make people vote for all of the champs listed as almost all of them fit as an answer to my question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookstealer View Post
Diana -Many players used her when she came out, but i don't see her much anymore. i never thought she was a threat. i'm sure she's good, but doesn't worry me like Amumu or Yorick.
Yeah, I rather like the concept of Diana, as she is Ability Power-damage oriented and hardly anyone builds Magic Resistance (at least in Normals). I've seen many good Diana's and have also noticed she is not played as heavily as she used to be. I always find myself getting surprised by her damage output and survivability.

Yorick is another one of my favourites as I hear he basically cannot lose a lane regardless of who he's up against (more or less). He also is pretty bad-@ss in 1v1 fights and his ulti is a rather fun concept in my opinion, although I do like Zilean's as well.

I've tried Amumu a few times, and I know he is definitely very good... but I just never really 'clicked' with him as I had hoped.

Volibear I've tried before and I definitely like his mini-execute spell (I forget which button). I only wish he didn't have mana, as I recall him being fairly mana-intensive.. perhaps that's changed? I do worry about his kite-ability (I always hate chasing some low health Ashe in attempt to kill her, only to have her Crit the cr*p out of me and turn the tables to where I'm now running -.-)

Maokai I also played once or twice... I had a great game with him the first time around, but I remember I lost every subsequent game, lol. I dislike that he is low mobility, although all in all I know he's definitely a good champ.

Galio I like the idea and spells of... he's just never as singularly powerful as I wish he were. I rather like my champions to be capable all on their own (they technically need no one else). As Galio, I can find myself winning, but that doesn't stop the enemy from just walking away from me.

Lulu I haven't tried, although I have wanted to. I like the idea of her - a more offensive support - although I worry about her ability to actually terminate targets on her own.

Iktha

07-02-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrxaph View Post
I voted Talon, but looking at the post, looks like you want a top laner. Talon stomps on mid, but is mediocre/bad on top.

Get Riven instead. She has a stun, a shield, two gap-closers and her ult is a steroid/execute.
The traits I'm looking for are most-often present in Top Laners, yeah, although it doesn't have to be a top laner. It could be any champion who fits that description and I would actually prefer if the champion were also viable as a duo/mid lane. I used to mid-lane Garen (when necessary) all the time and he did well, but obviously people expect you go top lane.

I don't know... I guess the champion traits are Top-Lane traits, but I wouldn't mind if the champion were a tough mage or something... Sadly though, the only tough magi I know of are Vladimir, Cho'Gath, Swain and a couple others, and I don't like those 3 very much, lol. Of them, only Swain can quickly kill people on his own, but I don't really like how his abilities all rely on landing his AoE trap.

My gut instinct is that I should choose between Diana and Yorick, but which is more versatile? Which is the better laner? Which is better 1v1, and which is better in team fights? *shrug* Sadly I've never seen them go head to head, nor have I played either one.

If I were to guess (and please correct me if I'm wrong) I would surmise that:
Yorick is the better laner?
Yorick has a better 'game changer' ultimate?
Diana is better 1v1?
Diana is better in team fights?

Any opinions on that matter would be awesome