Dropping a Division

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

saturnlól

02-02-2013

What causes you to drop down a division?

I seem to recall it was repeated losses after reaching the 0 LP mark? But since everyone starts at 0 points do you just end up in a lower division for losing one or two games (the first two you;d play)

And secondly, when you drop a division, do you start at 0-50-100 LP in the division?

and as a third small question: can you only be matched with and against players in your division? Or also people from different divisions? and I mean this both ways, different divisions as in like gold 1 -2 -3 and also the different subdivisions of gold 1 (different names)

~Saturn

saturnlól

02-02-2013

bump cuz forum is getting spammed :P

SoIanacea

02-02-2013

Well, there is a small barrier to prevent you dropping division after your first loss.
So if you are at 0 LP you do need at least X games played before you can drop.
When you drop your new LP will be between 50 and 80,
requiring you to win more to be eligible for promotion again.

And you can be matched with people outside of your division, even outside of your tier.
Since your ranking is only "aesthetic", you still have a match making rating (MMR for short).
This MMR determines your opponents, it's the old ELO system, just hidden and not determining ranking.
So it is possible your MMR rises above (or drop below) your division, which means you get matched with people "of the outside"

Von Kramer

02-02-2013

I lost 3 games in a row and dropped, I also won 8 games in a row and didnt make it to next tier -.-

saturnlól

02-02-2013

So solanacea it is possible your MMR is amazingly high - diamond tier and you start at silver tier... Wouldnt it be hard, if not impossible hard to ever rise? because of the well known elo hell, you WILL lose games because the lack of skill of even one member, no matter how good you are, those games will happen.

With a very high MMR in a low division, those loses would make you lose alot of points(unexpected losses) and the wins only small amounts ( expected losses)

SoIanacea

02-02-2013

The other way around.
High MMR in a low division will give you a lot of points.
Because you are considered silver, but you beat platinum/diamond players.
In return you won't lose many because after all, you are silver fighting platinum/diamond.

The opposite is true aswell.
High ranking with low MMR means you lose a lot of points.
Because Diamond shouldn't lose from silver.
An you will gain little, because Diamond should roflstomp silvers, which isn't much of a challenge.

saturnlól

02-02-2013

Oh thank god, because if it was the way i suspected it, it would indeed be terrible. thanks alot for your explanation

iM Moosin

02-02-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnll View Post
So solanacea it is possible your MMR is amazingly high - diamond tier and you start at silver tier... Wouldnt it be hard, if not impossible hard to ever rise? because of the well known elo hell, you WILL lose games because the lack of skill of even one member, no matter how good you are, those games will happen.

With a very high MMR in a low division, those loses would make you lose alot of points(unexpected losses) and the wins only small amounts ( expected losses)
No ofcourse not, you will be teamed with your MMR, not with your division, theyll try,but not if your mmr is off.

warlik86

02-02-2013

i dropped after a 1 loss at 0 LP so the whole "safe zone" etc is total bs