Tips on mid to late game for AP carries please?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Lynne Fitzgerald

16-01-2013

As of lately I've been having this problem to fall off in mid game. I've been playing Syndra today a lot and this is the last game I played:

Against a Karthus I went 5/0 during the laning phase. Our lanes were mostly pushed so I didn't have many opportunities to gank. Later on in the game we lose a turret on bot. I wanted to push that lane and got caught out of position- this was completely my mistake. Our support didn't ward the river and the enemy Taric and Irelia just jumped on me, stunned me and killed me. I did stun them and kite them, but it wasn't enough. I don't know what my team was doing, they either defed or farmed in the jungle but no one pushed, so I decided to do it. Which was clearly a mistake. What was I supposed to do?

Teamfights came and I was focused by Zed and Irelia. Team started calling me useless and that I don't do any damage. We were still winning. I tried my best standing outside the fights and avoiding being killed- which was difficult because they knew I was fed. It was still OK, but the game was thrown with the last two teamfights. Our Renekton (he was pretty fed then and confident) dashed into the enemy team, and they would kill him before we got into range to deal damage. In the second one our team went 3v5 before Varus and I got there.Until the end of the game I just got 2 kills more and 7 assists, which is pathetic, I feel like I didn't participate at all. The enemy had good focus, but I should have had better positioning.

That was just an example of a game, but it happened to me often with various ap carries. I know how to lane, but I need to get better at such things. Even if I gank and shut down the enemy carries, our lanes get pushed and my team surrenders. I always stick around teamfights and help my allies escape,I leave the adc the kills when I gank bot, I farm and I splitpush, watch buffs and dragon spawn time, but I feel like I'm missing something crucial.Maybe I am just on a losing spree or just tired, had a nice 14/4/15 game with the same champ 2 days ago, but I still want to improve. Help?

EDIT: Syndra hasn't been patched yet. So the ult range increase at lvl 3 hasn't been applied yet, many claim that is a disadvantage in her mid game, still that didn't bother me much so far. Also, probably shouldn't have picked her vs Irelia and Zed, should have went with Ahri. Syndra can be easily killed in teamfights. Or I should start running cleanse or barrier on Syndra.

CloppyFawk

17-01-2013

I suggest you to watch Phantoml0rds stream, he's a high elo mid player. Very entertaining to watch and plays mainly syndra at a high level because he plays her SOO much and that for the last 4 months or so, even when everyone said she's UP he said she's OP :P he's very good with syndra so check him out.

Cyrxaph

17-01-2013

You need someone to clear minion waves quickly and efficiently. Syndra isn't much of a pusher.

JimmyMadness

17-01-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrxaph View Post
You need someone to clear minion waves quickly and efficiently. Syndra isn't much of a pusher.
lol? syndra uses q, minions dead, if not w or e.... are you serious when you say that she can't kill a wave of mionions or you're kidding?

CloppyFawk

17-01-2013

Quote:
Syndra has very quick minionclearing tbh.

Cyrxaph

17-01-2013

Proof or GTFO.

Lynne Fitzgerald

17-01-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloppyFawk View Post
I suggest you to watch Phantoml0rds stream, he's a high elo mid player. Very entertaining to watch and plays mainly syndra at a high level because he plays her SOO much and that for the last 4 months or so, even when everyone said she's UP he said she's OP :P he's very good with syndra so check him out.
Yes, I like his stream, I got much better while watching him and Wolves Bjergsen.
I guess I just need more playing experience.

Quote:
Q + W combo clears waves easily, they are AOE spells, E is good too, but since the long cooldown I rather use q and w. She is somehow like TF or Orianna, mid game when she gets some AP and levels her skills she can push easily.

+ if defing, you can drag the super minions to the spawn turret

Vapor

17-01-2013

You have the core idea right. Carries arent supposed to instigate. Not your problem if your insigator thinks he can survive the full late game cc. Good tactic is the carry is out of range to avoid initial ulti and alpha and of course CC. In the case of your renekton team mate. His job is initial disruption anf chase of a straggler. Not control whole team.

As the carry. Job is to focus out and quickly dispatch key targets. Support and their carries. You have to survive so you can continue push if win or poke defense if lost. Supports and your tanks dont really help push. As result. Mid to late game as carry you should always be with support or tank. Never support a bad push. You have to judge. Somebody who feeds and dies soon becomes low gold and not really of relevance for feed.

Make sure you clearly let your team know why you dont engage. This will hopefully result in success team fights and protect you if you have a rager reporting. Avoid falling into the tribunal meta.

ShakeNBake EUW

17-01-2013

kill nexus before 30min or /ff

Cyrxaph

17-01-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynne Fitzgerald View Post
Yes, I like his stream, I got much better while watching him and Wolves Bjergsen.
I guess I just need more playing experience.

Q + W combo clears waves easily, they are AOE spells, E is good too, but since the long cooldown I rather use q and w. She is somehow like TF or Orianna, mid game when she gets some AP and levels her skills she can push easily.

+ if defing, you can drag the super minions to the spawn turret
Then get more pushers. =P You yourself said you get outpushed.