Zyra support, why not Lux..?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Yunisca

24-12-2012

So recently Zyra has become somewhat famous as a support character, she has snare, knock-up and slow. All these works very well on bottom lane. Why don't people play Lux support, imo she's even better. Lux has double snare, slow and her shield, her shield can shield ALL team mates at once. That shield can block up to 360 damage with no ap, since it goes back and forth. On top on that I use Heal as summoner spell since it got buffed.

I've been playing her in ranked games as support for quite a whie and sometimes I get flamed in champion selection, 1600-1700 elo. So my question is why no Lux support?

Why Sø Darius

24-12-2012

if pro does it and does well it becomes mildly acceptable for a while and then goes back into "lol u suck" status

^ = what you can pick & what you can't without people raising eyebrows

Chris von Muir

24-12-2012

You can use Lux support if you want tbh. Personally I think she really doesn't fit the role, she's got decent cc and a shield, sure, but her ult just feels meant to secure kills from afar, you could time it to nuke somebody without killing them and letting the carry pick it up, but it just doesn't feel support like to me. I'm also put off by her passive only proccing on her own autos.

I wouldn't flame you for picking her though, she's got tools that can work, and she is by no means weak. Just rub it in any nonbeliever's face when you've carried the game without taking a single kill :P

Edit: I was supposed to compare Lux to Zyra, but I forgot. Main point is that Zyra's ult has a nice knockup against Lux's pure damage, that's pretty much it :P

YamatoHD

24-12-2012

Because ult

Yunisca

24-12-2012

Her passive works so perfect in lane to harras the enemy adc, and so does her ult. As for the ult I use it at the begining of the fight right after the snare to make it impossible to ks. The range and dmg of dat lazor makes it easy to steal enemy buffs etc. and even dragon if their jungle isn't there. It even works as the old meta spell CV (lol).

The only support counter to Lux I've found is Lulu. Lux cruches everyone else it seems >:c

Chris von Muir

24-12-2012

Mmmm, Lux is pretty sound, though without AP and some spell pen I think her ult would lose it's usefulness past the laning phase, lacking any form of CC with it. Still, shielding an entire team, having two roots and a slow field can turn a game around fairly well. Like I said, I don't like it, but I'd welcome any Lux support, and you should just play what you want, after all she's labelled as a support and you can't be banned for choosing an unpopular champion as much as some people would like to believe so :P

KaOOz

24-12-2012

Lux has a double snare yes, Zyras snare is untlimited and can root 5 pepole and it goes tru minions.
Lux has a nice shield yes and poke with her passive, and her E is nice 2 poke/facecgeck with, her ulti thus is not that good as support.
Zyra can put out miniwards in lanebushes, has snare, slow AND knockup and therefore alot more CC then lux has.
Yes lux support works good as a poke, sustain support while zyra is more of a aggresive lane with high potenial for kills for your adc

Statikk Shyv

24-12-2012

Yeah its the Zyra ult.

That however, does not mean Lux can't be played as support, she's pretty fun down there.

Fyon

24-12-2012

Zyra gives better vision through seeds than lux through e
Zyra has a more reliable snare through roots than lux through q
Zyra has a better slow through plants than lux through e
Zyra has a better ultimate through ultimate than lux with just damage

Overall they do about equal damage but zyra has more utility. Only thing that lux has over zyra is the shield. Lux works but zyra does the same thing better hence people take zyra and not lux in competitive play, doesn't mean you can't do fine with Lux support though.

Scottish Wildcat

24-12-2012

I play Lux support a lot and she's really a lot better than people like to say. Basically if a pro hasn't done it a lot recently it's not "viable" in the eyes of most of the playerbase - ****, you wouldn't believe the hate I get for playing Shyvana top, even in normals.

I really don't think Zyra support is any better tbh. Her ult, while undeniably stronk if you can position it correctly, telegraphs like **** and you won't hit many good players with it unless they're already pinned down. Likewise her root is easy to predict and shorter range than Lux's Q.

In addition to the double snare Lux has a shield (don't knock it, it hits your entire team twice and if the ally is taking damage does more than Janna's shield), a potent aoe slow that also reveals vision, and a mini-cv in the form of her ult, assuming you went full support instead of AP. If you go AP, you're even deadlier.

(Lux support also just plain murders the **** out of Zyra support.)