Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a tonne of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out Boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

If you play a tank :) Some tips ... kinda

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Mechanist

06-25-2010

Hey there fellow tanks! Yesterday I had a really bad game with a new player playing Amumu, who is my current main. He was a very cool dude but he didn’t have a clue how to play a tank. So I thought I'd post this mini-guide for people like him! Cause he really had the tanking spirit and did what a lot of new tanks don't, initiated really well! There are probably other guides out there but I haven’t seen em as I'm too busy playing ****it!

I normally play tank in any online games I play/used to play, as nobody else seems to want the responsibility. In LoL I have experience with Amumu, Mundo, Alistar and Tank-Sion (well AD Sion, Yes he can tank and be awesome at it!). The first champ I played was Alistar way back when and I don't claim to be amazing at LoL but I do at least know how to tank. Both for premades and solo-queue. My win loss with Amumu s 23/9 and 18/12 as Sion atm, playing Solo queue and premades from time to time. My overall win/loss is .. well really bad ... 131/122 thanks to solo queue -.-

Anywhozzle! Some newer players or people new to tanks seem to do quite badly in my games at my (probably very low) elo. I often see tanks ending up with bad scores ranging from 0/8/1 to 0/13/3 etc. This is fine if you are having a bad day but if you do play a tank and you're new please check out the following tips! It's what I've learnt through trial and error.

A tank doesn't care about kills
You're like a support, only more awesome! A few games I ended with 0 kills, 2-3 deaths and above 10 assists. This was good, we won because of this. It's good because it means your teams DPS output is really good, which is what a tank wants. There is nothing worse than tanking a team fight and realising that after you do your tanky thang your team can’t kill anything...it makes Amumu weep!

Don’t cry about Kill Steals during a team fight. You’re not there to bring he DPS your there to take the pain for the team. Tank who cry about not getting kills are sad, you should be focused on bigger things.

A tank is there to initiate a fight (initiate means start not shamble around aimlessly)
This is what a lot of people seem to do wrong and it makes carries rage hard. I guess if you are new to LoL you may be a bit apprehensive about being too aggressive due to the fact that you might feed and be called a noob but please remember your role. I fed when I started playing, it’s how I learnt to judge my champion and how to not feed.

Every champion is different, even tank champions. What situations I could tank and which I couldn’t I learnt by playing the champion and getting into trouble. Keep the tank mentality from other games you may have played, the bigger it is the more you wanna tank it! Right? There’s no substitute for experience. It sucks if you’re new and feed but you’ll learn from your mistakes. And to be fair you are tanking, allowing everyone else to play that Legolas guy Ezreal-something and Yi/WW and pew pew without caring. You are the one babysitting, initiating, pushing towers, tanking towers etc so they can stfu if they flame you You are learning! I’d rather have a feeding tank who’s trying than those tanks who just stay behind their ranged team mates to afraid to move or do anything useful. Ending up with 0/0/0 or even 1/0/3 is pretty much like going afk, you arn’t doing anything or trying to do anything.

Teams will lose a game if they have no initiator and as a tank, this is you. As Ammu for example, at the start of a team fight, you run in - bandage toss and pop ulti. Cry your lungs out and throw tantrums! (the skills I mean) Make sure your team is just behind you. Don’t be scared, if you have a decent team they will be right behind you backing you up! They will bring the pain and they will be grateful you are taking lead and most of the flak!

Don't initiate at wrong times
Never fight a battle you can't win! That’s just feeding and bad form! If there are three of you and 5 of them, do not push. You are the tank, tell people to back up. Keep baiting the enemy team till the rest of your team shows up. If they harass badly or initiate fall back to your lanes tower and defend it till reinforcements arrive. Tell people this, be vocal about it, carries are stupid creatures, sorry but they are :P. If they see an enemy they will always go "raawrgle! kills! I want pentakeel!!!!1!oneeleven!" and run off and die, giving the enemy team free gold and worse a 1 man advantage on your team. Good carries are smarter than this but you can judge for yourself, and in solo queue...yea.

Dont be afraid of soloing towers if possible
Towers are puny and some tanks eat them like candy. Alistar and Mundo for example can totally rip apart a tower without any tiny-little-fighter-dudes helping. This being said keep an eye on your team. If a team fight breaks out you should be there. Unless the tower will die fast, leave it! A carry can backdoor it later or something, you need to be helping even leading (if need be), your team in team fights. Only solo towers if there’s an opportunity too do so. Losing a team fight for one tower may or may not be a good thing. This is where experience comes in. As Amumu, I know soloing a tower is long. The way I play Amumu is like a disabler, so I know the team will benefit more from me being there stunning and snaring the enemy team rather than head-butting a tower as they all get killed horribly. An Alistar tanker may disagree though, since they push faster. It all depends on experience, situation, team and what tank you’re playing.

Tank towers!
Nothing is more annoying than seeing a tank run away from a tower when there are enough people to quicky down it! This is again due to experience but normaly in mid-game if you have 2 DPSers and you at a tower, try and get it down quickly. Many tanks see the enemy team res and leg it (often infront of their DPS buddies, bah!) DPSers can eat a tower fast, they just cant take the hits, you can so do it already! Its really easy also! If you ping a tower and run at it, the DPSers will follow you in since they know what to do. Pinging a tower is a universal sign for “Ima rushin da towaz!!!” Don’t do it at a stupid time though since you’ll all die. When there is an opportunity do it. And if your team rushes a tower make sure you take the hits from it if need be, not the DPSers. The more health they have, the longer that can stay out there harassing the enemy team!

Also push towers, there are only a few games where I don’t have at least 1 tower kill. Tanks hate buildings because they are lame... destroy the lame! Tanks are amazing pushers, use this ability.

Lastly, save people who need help
If you see a squishy running his little legs off then help him, even if you are low on hp (use your judgement), you can take more damage than he can. As Amumu toss a bandage for stun and immediately run away and repeat this. As Mundo toss a clever to slow, as Nunu slow. Rammus and Shen? Taunt them off the squishy or use Shens ulti. The squishies need to stay alive. They are the ones doing all the pew pew. And chances are if the bad guys attack you, you’ll get away since you’re a tank and have skills to help you take damage. The squishies are guaranteed to die. (Unless you’re Kassadin...seriously, wtf is up with Kassadins ulti? It makes Amumus ulti useless! Nerf plx!)

Note: That being said, if you see an idiot run off alone and die, don’t help him. People like that shouldn’t be encouraged. Know when it’s worth risking your neck and when you’d rather stay alive to defend, help other team mates.

Conclusion
The flow of the game as a tank is whisy-whasy! (like a wave on a beach shore, grass-hoppa) You fall back to your tower - your team all revives/comes running to help - you push on their tower as a team - they fall back and defend the tower till their whole team comes/revives - then they push on you - the cycle continues. The team who capitalises on an opportunity is the team who usually wins. This is where the carries/Dpsers normally come in, they will see an opportunity to backdoor, they will see a solo enemy hero. You all will be able to rush the base tower and inhib if the teamfight went well (thanks to good initiating and a bad-ass DPS team! Cannot stress how important initiating is!). These are normally DPSers jobs and they are good at it, just make sure you're there to protect and help them if things go to hell!

To sum up, TLDR:
Initiate Fights – Really important!
Play aggressively but smartly! – Get to know what your champ can handle and what they are good at
Know when to push / Know when to back off
DO NOT just stand about doing nothing – Seriously, you might as well be afk...you’re a tank, go get hurt!
Lead if you have to, you are the tank! – But only if you have to, don’t be bossy if the team knows what’s what. I love games where I just do my tanky thang and the rest of the team just knows when to do what. It’s why I still play LoL

Additional Notes: Just thought of these two points. As mentioned before don't be a bossy arse if you want to lead people. Be calm and tell them they need to do this because of this. Don't bark orders like a jerk, your team will think you are an idiot and they won't listen. Be reasonable, calm, mellow and obove all own as a tank, a team will do what you say if you are playing well.

Second point, surf youtube and Leaguecraft! Seriously! You can see some amazing tank play on youtube, just search for League of Legends Amumu and check it out! Leaguecraft has alot of helpful build orders and stuff. I do this a lot and it helps me get better. I can do awesome stuff with Amumu now that I never thought of when I started. Knowing the different skill combos to use (like the Slingshot - check youtube) etc.

If anyone else has any experience to give feel free critisisms are good also, since I'm not a master at LoL or nothin'. Some on you probably know more than me >.>

Aycellica

06-25-2010

im amazen when someone writes something THIS long and its still useful...gj on the post! you mentioned a lot of good stuff...btw dont you get bored while writing this? o.o

Natriumon

06-25-2010

:O really useful. thanks meng!

I bought amumu today but i don't really know what guide to follow >_< Could you give some specific amumu tips aswell? I'm not bad but i'm not awesome either :< And i solo queue alot so i need to be good to compensate for teh sacky team.

Much love and teardrops

Mechanist

06-25-2010

Quote:
Natriumon:
:O really useful. thanks meng!

I bought amumu today but i don't really know what guide to follow >_< Could you give some specific amumu tips aswell? I'm not bad but i'm not awesome either :< And i solo queue alot so i need to be good to compensate for teh sacky team.

Much love and teardrops

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Sure, check out this guide here for some pointers:
Group Hug Time (http://www.leaguecraft.com/strategies/guide/945,Amumu+-+Group+Hug+Time)

Also check out FirstAnathemas tips, they are kinda useful:
FirstAnathema's combos (http://www.youtube.com/user/FirstAnathema)

This is my personal Build Order it aint perfect I guess but if works for me:
Start with boots + x2 health potions
Finish boots to Ninja/Mecury depending and buy elixir of fortitute (You can now tank fine in team fights)
Get gaints belt
Finish Sunfury Cape
Buy another elixir if possible, I always try and have one ticking at all times.
Get gaint belt
Get next Sunfury Cape
-- You should be winning by now so just get what ever
For heavy physcal I get Randuin's Omen
For heavy magic I get Force of nature/Banshees etc

Normaly I start off with booties and x2 Health Potions.
I do not need mana as I have mana reg glyphs which are fine for early game and by mid game you should be aiming to get golem buff if you havnt already. Golem buff is awesome on Amumu as with it he can pretty much keep his Despair toggled on without losing any mana.

The health pots let me lane for longer or many times just keep me alive. What many new Amumus tend to do is die a lot early game due to Amumus poor survivability. If you get harrassed hard then play it safe. Try not to die until you are atleast level 6. 2 or more deaths before this means you will suffer later on in the game.

I finish boots next, I get Ninja boots or Mercury depending on the enemy team

After boots I aim to buy a gaint belt next. Normaly I stay in the lane long enough tfinish boots and also buy an Elixir of Fortitude. Buy an elixir whenever possible as Amumu is awesome at farming and you'll have gold for it. I aim to get my first elixir after I finish my boots and before I start on my second item. This is because Fortitude pots kick ass early game and let you tank really, really well early game.

After this I get 2 sunfire capes. These things are pretty much made for Amumu. I heard of people getting more but I personaly feel after 2 sunfires and W and E skills you will be a walking ball of pain. After this I tend to finish off with what ever feels right. Force of nature for magic def. Normaly I get Randuin's Omen since if you bandage toss into the enemy team, pop ulti and then cast the Randuin's Omens shield thingy your team will love you. It helps you tank also.

I skill like this:
First E, as I said before early game Amumu is sucky and I don't think the stun is needed at level 1 since you will probably die if you use it. E helps you tank up some damage early on.
Second I spec Q, the bandage toss's stun will help you lane partner get off a gank if they can, stun is always good and you can tank some of the damage and provide some damage of your own thanks to your E
I max E asap. Then I get bandage toss and I max W lastly unless I am up against a heavy tank-HP team. Then I get W second.

Things you MUST know about his skills:
His ulti does not stun the enemy team. It snares them. This is a huge difference! When I started playing him I thought that my ulti stunned, and I died because of this. If you cast ulti, for example, Kat can still use her spinny knife of lame skill to kill many people. Be very careful when using your ulti on champs like Sivir and Kassadin. Sivir can spell shield it and run off while Kassidin will just teleport away with his skill. Instead go for a bandage toss on them as this stuns. Use your ulti mostly for initiating or protecting your team as they fall back.

Bangage Toss is freaken awesome! It really is! Use it to escape situations! For example, you are in top lane on TT and you are gonna die soon and can't outrun the angry mob behind you. Cast bandage toss over the wall and hit Dragon. This will pull you to safety. Always try and head for Neutral monsters if you are in trouble! Use them as you would use a flash. Heck I use a bandage toss then pop a ghost and nobody can catch me. Combine this skill with flash if you like (see FirstAnathemas slingshot combo). But they are getting rid of flash I hear so I dont want to get used to it. It could be wise to see Bandage Toss as 2 skills in one. The first being the pull which is awesome beans and the second being the stun. Use this skill for both things. It's basicaly a free flash if you have enemy or neutral monsters nearby! it'll pull you over pretty much anything, walls, trees, towers. Plus its really fun and it looks super impressive if done right ^^ And if you dont need to run, stun enemies who are baring down on your retreating dpsers.

Bandage Toss is a skill shot but see it this way, it'll pull you to the first thing it hits, if you cast it and a Champ runs into any part of it, you'll grab em! Cast it infront of them and they will see a bandage line they don't want to cross

Also note, alot of people underestimate Amumu because he doesnt really have many flashy attacks. Despair for example isnt very in your face. This is good because they wont realise it's you that is draining 4% of their max HP every second. Thats excluding ofcourse the x2 Sunfires and Tantrum spams. People under estimate Amumu all the time and as a result I get oh so many kills. Champtions like Mord for example arn't used to people standing up to their sexy HP.

In closing, get the golem buff! The blue one! It is sexy for Amumu! I can keep Despair toggled on and Bandage Toss and spam anything else I want. Amumu is very mana dependant and this buff it perfect for him! Wrestle Heimy/Fiddle or Shaco to the ground if you have to but get it! Its a good thing most carries want the red one ^^ Also with Despair btw Golem is cake-easy!

That's it for now I spose, sorry if its all jumbled, it's late and I'm sleepy xD
Hope it helps!

Shikalike

06-26-2010

*Wall of Text crits you for over 9000*

I wasn't able to read it all, but the most of it seems useful .. Really helpful.

Natriumon

06-28-2010

Haha the "group hug time" guide was actually the one i had been using most of the time, it's a great guide. I have gotten much better now with Amumu, just needed some getting used to him.

5v5 usually goes ok but i generally play 3v3 because i don't like playing games for over 30 minutes alot. Plus i really really hate running to the other end of the map for 2 minutes. It's just not what i want to do in a video game, nor do i want to wait for teleport's recharge timer.

In 3v3 amumu is actually a great early game character! I suppose that in SR he has less potential since it will be just you and a lane partner. In 3v3 it's all ganking / 1vs1 situations. Now that i played like 15 more games in past 2 days with him i have a general idea of how to build him for TT.

For masteries (level 22) i get veteran scars and some stuff in utility tree and maybe archmage's savvy. Then with a ruby crystal added to that i have 796 hp as a start. And i do not have any quintesses (still savin the IP to buy them) so with full HP quints that would be ~920 HP in the beginning. That is a ****load compared to ashe with her 440-ish HP.

I won't go offtopic any more (this isn't an amumu thread ) but thanks a lot for the info. Of course some things weren't that hard to figure out myself but after playing only DPS characters it is so much fun to play a tank now. My friendlist loves me ;D Maybe i'll write an amumu guide myself for Twisted Treeline once i hit level 30

Tragek

07-01-2010

Oh my.... I don't play tank, but the tips you have here are very usefull. But that is not why I write this, it is because it is usefull AND fun!
Some of those comments you make in this guide is.. Well.. Let's say I'm glad I had swallowed my tea before I read those parts. IF I start playing tank (I have a few tank champions) I will drop by and read this a couple of more times.

CG Vamned

Recruiter

07-01-2010

quick tip you might wanna add. If you want to play tank you need to initiate. If you want to initiate you need to know where they are. So ask your team to buy atleast one ward to place around the map. This way you can see when they are split and thus easily stacks for your carries. It also allows you to look for the most close to perfect opportunity to initiate the team fight.

Cyanr

07-01-2010

Tip: You tanked good if the end game statistics show that you've taken the most physical and magic dmg along with the least time spent dead. Even if you've spent the most time dead, you still tanked well.

Veltsu

07-03-2010

Awesome, awesome and more awesome. Have thought about writing something similar but now I dont have to.

+1 and a sticky plox

-Tank player